Parents of the HS Class of 2009 (Part 1)

<p>Thanks for the ideas! The roomie is a fashionista like D2 so I will give her these suggestions and tell her to get something that she would like herself.</p>

<p>I am making “retro” appetizers for tonight and tomorrow. Dug in to my old recipes and found a crab puff baked on English muffins that I had forgotten about and then an old standard layered dip with cream cheese, red onions, black beans and chipotle raspberry jelly/sauce on top. Also making H his favorite homemade cowboy salsa. Fun to rediscover these! :slight_smile: I think my drink of choice tonight will be Prosecco with Pomegranate juice. Light and refreshing and a change from my regular Cab. </p>

<p>cq…have to admit your evening sounds wonderful! If I hadn’t told my friend we would help chaperone I would love to sit in front of the fireplace with a good book and then toast the new year with H out in the hot tub. Supposed to be -10 tonight. Brrrr…</p>

<p>Hope you all have a nice evening with family and friends. Be careful on the roads!</p>

<p>How awful for her, Missyp. Did she have any police help? Definitely she needs her friend there, and just to feel safe in her apartment. I hope she arrives soon. I’m sure you’ll be on the phone with her again,tonight, and hearing your voice will continue to calm her (and you).</p>

<p>missypie!!! Oh, no! :eek: I do have relatives in Chicago if she needs help. How did she foil the attempt!!! I tell my kids to just let them have their purse or whatever.</p>

<p>It was really a minor thing…she had a huge suitcase, a heavy duffle, a heavy carry on and her backpack. She had her backpack on her back and the guy in line behind her was unzipping it and a lady in line got D’s attention and the guy ran away. No big deal unless you’re 20 years old and alone and the other folks in line are acting like you’re an idiot for having the backpack in back instead of in front. Yes, she knows it could have been in front, but she was carrying way too much stuff by herself and yes, she was the perfect target. Really, a healthy dose of fear will do her good as she navigates the city, as long as this doesn’t shatter her confidence too much. </p>

<p>The police did come but then they were trying to accuse the two guys in front of her (as being in league with the guy behind), so those two guys were all over her to tell the cops they weren’t involved and she had no idea if they were or not. She’s fine, just scared. All in all it’s the kind of experience that merits a good sob when it’s over. I told her it’s all about knowing when it’s safe to sob and that it was great that she held it together until she got into her apartment.</p>

<p>I’m worried about Hillary Clinton. Hope she recovers fully.</p>

<p>So sorry MP!! It sounds like she handled herself and the situation well. Is it legal for the shuttle company to do that? Many times I would tell D to use a taxi and we would pay so that she would not take the subway in NYC at midnight alone.</p>

<p>We never go anywhere on NYE and have a party with another family on NYD. This year the kids wanted it tonight so here I am putting together a dinner for 9. I am such a night owl that I closed the kitchen at 2 last night and slept in. Today finished the second half of the meal. I made the original mushroom strudel from the Mooosewood cookbook. First made it in 1970’s and it use to be our Christmas main course. Still, I have only made it once in 12 years so fingers crossed. I am also making 3 recipes from Contessa’s foolproof cookbook. The sidecars are amazing!</p>

<p>S has me quite upset about his u bill. Ours says no merit and his says merit and grants for $8500. He copped an attitide when we tried to to talk to him about the loans they offered (we would have paid) and am now fearful that everything was connected. We are resolved that it is time for him to get some skin in the game and we are not covering any mistake he made with the U. This will be tough to stick to but he needs to actually talk to us or he can actually be on his own for the tuition.</p>

<p>Happy New Year! I hope everyone has a safe and peaceful evening. I hope, most of all, that 2013 only brings good things and this cycle of sadness ends. </p>

<p>HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone.</p>

<p>Missypie, sorry to hear about the scare. Have a great NYE out or in, depending upon your preference. ShawWife is making Tuna Kebabs with black and white sesame sees (or wasabi, can’t remember) as our appetizer contribution. And, I’ll pull out a Tuscan red or something.</p>

<p>Time to go dress in festive attire (Hey, do you think my splendiferously tasteless black and orange reunion jacket would be festive?)</p>

<p>May you all have health, happiness, success in your endeavors and nachas in your kids endeavors in 2013.</p>

<p>Jacket sounds great, shaw!</p>

<p>O missy, I am glad that your D is OK, but that must be very upsetting for both her and you. </p>

<p>My friend just called, there will be 8 of us at her house tonight and they forgot to pick up plastic champane (can’t spell) glasses. We have 7 (5 from a set that used to be 6 as well as another pair) and they have one. According to southern living, the mix and match is right on trend. S is sleeping over at the party he is attending, so that issue is solved.</p>

<p>Wishing you all a Happy New Year!</p>

<p>Splendiferous Orange sounds perfect for New Year’s Eve, Shawbridge. </p>

<p>MP – How scary for her; I hope her friend can come over. And how awful to get that phone call. </p>

<p>NM – I’ve seen some very pretty beach sarong (I know they’re not called that in Thailand, but I don’t remember what they’re called there) silk things brought back from Thailand. </p>

<p>Oregon – hope you get the U bill worked out. Blech.</p>

<p>It is lobster tails and stuffed clams for us for dinner. We’ve got a big party later this week, so I’m going to enjoy a quiet evening – D is heading into the city with a friend, but has wisely decided to spend the night downtown at the apartment of the friend they’re visiting rather than trying to make her way home. That sounds like a very good plan to me. </p>

<p>Wishing everyone a safe, warm, and enjoyable New Year’s Eve.</p>

<p>Missypie, glad your daughter is safe. It’s nerve wracking to go through something like that.</p>

<p>We’re going to my folks’ house for dinner; my older brother and his whole family are there. We’re also doing lobster. We often do raclette, so I guess this year something different.</p>

<p>The theme of this year’s Rose Parade, btw, is, “Oh the places you’ll go!” It makes me wonder what the year will bring for all our kids, grads and otherwise.</p>

<p>May New Year’s Eve usher in a good year for all.</p>

<p>Happy 2013! Didn’t make it to midnight last night, in part because I knew I’d be up early with the dogs this morning. Plus, I was tired and just wanted to go to sleep.</p>

<p>We are supposed to head over to the in-laws later this morning; hoping the roads permit the drive. They kept increasing the snow forecast here. Just finished shoveling the walk in front of our unit, not sure if we are done with the snow yet or not.</p>

<p>We didn’t let S drive to be with friends last night due to the slick roads. He didn’t protest too much so he must have known it wasn’t the best idea.</p>

<p>Missypie, glad your D is okay. Everyone’s party plans sound wonderful. Well, except maybe the splendiferous orange and black jacket!</p>

<p>When this thread began way back when our kids were starting their collegiate journeys, “College Class of 2013” sounded so far in the future. Here we are!</p>

<p>Count me in on the early to bed crew, c_q! Quiet night here. D headed out of town to ring in the New Year with friends; first time in a long time H and I have been alone. One or both of the children have usually been around, although last year D was in Atlanta. That said, by 10 pm I was ready for bed. Long day at work yesterday. Certainly not the exciting eventful evenings most of you had planned! </p>

<p>Missypie, that is very scary for you and your D. Hope she’s recovered. I too am hoping for Hillary Clinton’s full and quick recovery. We need her! </p>

<p>Happy New Year, all!</p>

<p>Good morning, all. Missy, so scary for your daughter. Not feeling well so we skipped a party last night. I was asleep at midnight. Yesterday I made beef barbeque in the crockpot and it was yummy. Taking some to Mom and Dad’s today. My cleaning day there, hubby is coming along to do odd jobs for Dad and help me clean. Just getting groceries yesterday had me worn out. Anyway…this will surely pass. Happy New Year everyone, this is the year of our MEET-UP!!!</p>

<p>Good Morning, all. Moving a little slowly this morning :slight_smile: but have already started taking down some of the Christmas decorations.</p>

<p>eddie I hope that you feel better soon and I second"the year of the meet up"!</p>

<p>Happy new year!
Pretty sedate party here as mcson is also catching the wicked cold. They were all hot tubbing when I retired around 1:30, and in a new twist, I slept through the night, so presume they wound down after that. I’m getting called typhoid mcmom around here and sadly it seems I deserve that title. At this point, I am just hoping we don’t infect mcgf. She had a cold earlier this year, so we’re hopeful her immune system is up to snuff and are dosing he with airborne.</p>

<p>Had some lovely Indian food yesterday and a nice belated mcgf “Xmas”. One of mcson’s hs pals who hadn’t met her before was here last night and quite xcited to see the pair in action :wink: (she came in from the party to tell me how awesome it was to see mcson had found his perfect gal :wink: </p>

<p>Missy, sorry your d had the scare, it sucks to realize how creepy some folks can be, but am glad it was more an opportunist that someone bent on harm. As a young adult, I worked for a travel mag before getting into hard news, and apart from interesting trips, it left with with a pretty seasoned view of woman-traveling-alone. Years later when I went to southern Spain with two girlfriends they thought I was nuts when I wigged out at them for wearing expensive jewelry on a day trip to morrocco but they revised their opinion of me after a little wander through the casbah. There the thieves literally cling to you through the crush if you give them any incentive :wink: </p>

<p>At any rate, cheers to 2013 and whatever that brings us. Hopefully great things are in store!</p>

<p>I want to wish you all peace in your hearts, peace in your lives and peace in the world. </p>

<p>eddieo, I hope you are feeling better and you and your husband deserve good human being points for going to clean and do odd jobs for your parents today.</p>

<p>ShawWife stayed up until 1 PM last night at a very nice party. That is several hours past her bedtime. It’s sunny with snow on the ground, so I think we’re going to take a nice walk.</p>

<p>When we returned, there was physical evidence that ShawSon and his game decathletes had made it back to our house from downtown but not bodies. When ShawWife got up at 8 AM (several hours past her normal waking time), they were downstairs and had just finished the game decathlon (and, thus, no sleep). ShawSon won by 1/2 point by virtue, apparently of winning one of the last contests, which was an eating contest. One of the boys either doesn’t drink or doesn’t drink beer or champagne and so they changed one of their contests from beer pong to water pong (I had told ShawSon that the case of Sam Adams was available for use though I didn’t know about beer pong). But, they explained that they had decided on water pong because it wouldn’t make the same mess. Now they are off to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast. Nice to see these man-boys chortling with delight at their experience.</p>

<p>I think I win the prize for most pathetic ending to 2012 (of which I am hopeful that 2013 will repay me by it being a great year). </p>

<p>Two cars, four drivers… Kids each took a car so that neither one had to be picked up and/or drive home (both slept over at friends). D is already home (was home by 9) and who knows when S will roll in. Honestly, I was just glad D came up with some plans AND, more importantly, actually seems to have had a good time. She ended high school having been barely tied to the group of friends she’d had since middle school making the last two years particularly lonely. While I used to think the bad thing about a small school was that the lines between cliques is definite, I think now that the good thing about a small school is that those you weren’t great friends with in HS still know you well enough that they’re willing to include you without question. At least, these kids with my D. It’s still tough though because off those other girls’ moms were MY friends at one time and I don’t know any of these other parents, save one or two. But D apparently did something slightly right, while not having been included in much of the reunions going on over break, she has managed to hang out with one person here and another person there. I hope she finds herself happier in 2013 because we do worry about her.</p>

<p>On the other hand, we’ve barely seen S since Christmas day. He was much better friends with the class above him until his senior year when, obviously, they had graduated. He hasn’t been in town for the past two Christmases and hasn’t been home since last spring where his school has a late break and most friends’ families do elaborate spring break trips. So… he’s been having a ball, I think. Especially because this is the first time he’s ever had an opportunity to “party” out on the town. Last night they all paid some ridiculous cover charge to go to a raggy bar where they were having a band and free/cheap drinks, along with a cab service to take them back to another friends house whose parents are out of town. I recognize clearly that this is exactly what SHOULD be avoided and it’s basically a disaster waiting to happen. However, he looked really quite dapper when he left and I think there is a very good likelihood that at least the majority of the evening is spent convincing a lot of old classmates that you’re clearly on your way or have a plan to set out on a path of success in life. And what I do know about where some of the HS class of 2008 are working, going to school, etc., I know snow well enough that he will migrate towards THIS side of the room vs those whose goals are “ski bum” although he’s more likely to talk up his three summer/break internship with a top lawfirm in town… sure he got the job thru Dad’s contacts, but he’s the one whose kept the job and doing well enough that they keep having him back! All of this to say, while POTENTIAL for disaster exists, at their core the majority of S’s friends work extremely hard and also like to party hard. Not sure how that fits in with his reaching his true potential if his brain and liver are often in repair mode, but on the other hand, I have seen repeatedly that he has developed somewhat gifted social skills and can intelligently talk with anyone of any age about just about any topic and make them feel special for having had the opportunity. It’s freakish. </p>

<p>Back to the pathetic new years… H apparently went out with his noon basketball group to have a few beers and came home around 3 pretty much done for the night. I was NOT happy for too many reasons to count. And if this wasn’t a public board, I’d be far more specific there. He did however order the chinese food (a tradition of sorts) so I ate mine while watching Big Miracle and a Hot in Cleveland marathon on Hulu. I dismantled the Christmas tree and even took it to the curb - by myself…returning at exactly 11:58. Ball had already fallen in NY so I noted the time, and went to bed. P.A.T.H.E.T.I.C. H has been more than remorseful today, but I am not yet ready to even care. Wishing it was NOT jan 1 so I could feel better about being in a crappy mood. If it was Dec 1 (or any other 1), I wouldn’t care. But I want better karma in 2013, so it’s best to start it putting good thoughts out there instead of sulky ones. TMI? But oh how I thank you for letting me vent what should otherwise be locked in a private journal… :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I think you win. Sounds so bad that it’s almost worth it, just to be able to tell the story. Our NYE was more lively than usual, but let me tell you, the bar is really low. Son’s GF came over, and I pulled out the leftover party food and a fresh bottle of prosecco. H got home from his singing gig and the young ones headed off to three different grocery stores to buy the ingredients for the pasta dish they cooked and served at about 11:45 pm. Midnight, more prosecco, then bed for H and I. </p>

<p>Younger D was actually at an all night party with her latest BF and his friends from [a conservative Christian] school. She was HORRIFIED that H called and talked to the dad of the hostess. Of course, that was the only way we were going to even consider letting her attend this party. When the dad said that it all started when his 8 year old D wanted to have a sleepover, we were sold. </p>

<p>In my last post, I neglected to say how cool it has been to have the posts from China.</p>

<p>If we actually do a meet up, a private Facebook group would be a good idea. Then we can post actual hotel names, flight times, etc. I was the moderator of last year’s school cheer private group and it works pretty well.</p>

<p>H and I were trying to decide between seeing Lincoln and a Downton Abbey marathon…then Son said that GF was coming over for a Dr. Who marathon, so I guess our decision has been made.</p>

<p>Happy New Year, everyone!</p>

<p>We made it until after 1:00 AM, when DH picked up teen son at GF’s house party. He, S2, has evidently survived the embarrassment of having his father check him in and out of GF’s parents’ home.</p>

<p>True to form, we stayed in. For the evening’s entertainment, we had a marathon viewing of The Walking Dead–some five or six episodes of the first season. I’m not sure if I can stand watching a full season of a show about zombies that makes you jump out of your skin, but it certainly provided for an atypical night of TV watching.</p>

<p>EddieO, I hope you feel better. On the front page of the local paper (which did not get delivered this AM, grrr) was an article about how bad the flu season has become here. When S1 and S2 finally woke up, close to noon, I took them to the pharmacy for flu shots. I hope they see the benefits of immunity before they start school, go to work, travel, etc. by the end of the week.</p>

<p>shawbridge–water pong, so thoughtful!</p>

<p>So I’ve got one thing going for me… already had a flu shot AND found D1’s$25 dollar gift card to starbucks under the living room chair when moving the furniture back into original place sans tree. S and D2 took gift card to starbucks and we’re all having coffee on older D and then sending the card back to her. She said whomever had found it could keep it, so we determined this was a happy compromise. :)</p>

<p>H is still sorta apologizing by cooking brunch and trying to do a family movie - something I had wanted to do when D1 was still in town but never happened. Lincoln is in the lead so far.</p>

<p>Our party went well overall. The food was really amazing (3 new recipes) The games are always fun. I cannot remember being with anyone but H at midnight in years and years.</p>

<p>Modadunn maybe something make-up like will be coming your way today. I do know what you mean about wanting to begin the NY with good feelings. You made me realize that I was feeling negative towards my friend last night at the end of the night. After we hooted and watched some fireworks from the deck the 5 26-29 year old’s started talking about going out. I nearly had to go with them as their mother had lost her temporary crown (at the party) and they felt a need to take care of her. Drive the parents home, etc. It was just nuts and she fed right into it. My D started encouraging me to go because she knew that if I did that she and I would get the show going.
So here I am encouraging my D to go and have fun (all very responsible about drinking)and to be young still and their parents are doing a guilt card. This my D’s probable future MIL and while wonderful in many many ways there is this thing she does with her kids that is bothersome. I try to treat my kids like adults, maybe even try too hard. At least my D sees the situation and so far just sees that it is going to be tough at times. Again, a wonderful family oveall and I really like the BF. Not sure when I wrote last about him but he has RP and will most likely be completly blind at some point. So D has chosen some obstacles but she is pretty amazing (other than being able to pick up her things and load a dishwasher properly).
I REALLY did not want to go to a loud bar across the city at 1:00 a.m.! But I nearly did and guess am flattered D asked me to go. Would have danced too!</p>