<p>Glad your day is going a little better, Moda. I really enjoyed Lincoln, historical inaccuracies and all (according to my S1, the know-it-all I hope that you will too.And I know what you mean about starting the year out with happy feelings, especially when you really want to strangle a certain somebody. Another tidbit in our paper–DH was fuming that he had to drive to pick it up, and the paper company would not agree to deliver since he had reported it at 9:15 AM and not the 9:00 AM deadline–was how a spirit of gratitude for all the things that go right, is beneficial to health and life…I’m not a NY resolution kind of gal anymore, but perhaps I will try to think of this gratitude, for a bit. Sigh, so hard some times. DH and I took a long morning walk–beautiful day, grateful for that. He is already busy with his resolutions–he’s organizing and shredding like a fiend. I’m roasting up some fresh veggies for our dinner. D just called from her apartment, asking me how to cook lobster newburg for her friends. Yikes, expensive taste!</p>
<p>Happy New Year to you all and I second ShawB’s hope for peace and its blessings.</p>
<p>Ding-dong. Guest shows up for our Friday evening party. Today is Tuesday. Oops. Luckily, house was fairly neat, and a large dinner was in the oven. Ended up being a lovely evening of the accidental variety. </p>
<p>Tomorrow H shaves for the first time in two weeks, and I can hardly wait. It is a very good thing he does not subscribe to a religion that requires men to grow beards, because a less attractive, patchy and scraggly beard would be hard to find. I will listen to the bad words with silent thanks. And glee. (He says he has a new razor blade, but still…)</p>
<p>Back to work today. Sometimes I think I should get a lot done during my vacation, but I’m usually happy I took the opportunity to rest and relax.</p>
<p>Had a nice trip to in-laws yesterday. On the way back we stopped at an outlet mall. D purchased me a beautiful sweater with her employee discount for under $20! May wear it to work today since it’s currently 10 degrees.</p>
<p>We will now begin the 2 car/4 people challenge in earnest! H’s job requires a car, so S will be the designated chauffeur with the car I typically drive. He’s a morning person like me so is the best candidate to get me to work on time. The last couple of years in HS we shared a car so I am used to not having a car. Working on a self-contained college campus helps a lot!</p>
<p>Hope Odessa girl enjoys the Library of Congress today!</p>
<p>Good morning! I hate to say it, but I am almost glad to be going back to work today. My ears still feel as if I’m underwater, but I’m sick of being sick. First off, I don’t get sick that often. Secondly, I can’t recall having such a protracted cold while off work. Clearly I operate better with just a little adrenalin in my life ;)</p>
<p>Moda, hope you have sme great acts of contrition coming your way New Years can be a tricky holiday for some. My brother-in-law has often said my dad ruined us girls for New Years because we always have the secret expectation of a party and a fancy lobster dinner somewhere and dress up clothes. He’s kind of right. My dad was really big on holiday traditions and was a real romantic. I have a tough time with that sometimes, given that my spouse has an aversion to crowds, doesn’t care much for parties, and having been a minister’s son, doesn’t actually have much of a sense of holiday traditions (It was always a work day for his dad!) </p>
<p>Up until the last few years, mch used to stay in town to look after the servers on rollover, and I used to go to a party back home and usually pick up mcson from the airport en route (when he used to spend part of the holidays with his dad.) Then, finally a few years back we managed to get mch out dancing on New Years with another couple we know, or one year even down to the outdoor celebrations in our city. Last year we stayed in but had the couple over and still had fun. So this year was weird for me. I think I’ll have to plan differently next year! (And not be sick.)</p>
<p>So my New Years resolution is to have a different kind of New Years next year. Maybe that would be a good time to introduce the notion of a family cruise (as in, just mcson, gf, mch and I). We’d love to go away, but really don’t want to at Xmas with my mom and mch’s dad alive and kickin. </p>
<p>At any rate, I’m looking forward to kick starting the New Year with some much-needed office clearance, maintenance, and new work!</p>
<p>Arabrab, too funny about your guests! I actually did that once – missed a party by a day. My hosts were gracious but it was the source of constant teasing from mch for a good while.</p>
<p>Kmc, I hope you are feeling much better soon. It sucks being sick, but I was glad that work was closed so I could rest much more. Actually excited to go back today. </p>
<p>We are starting to think about a cruise in the future (not in 2013, though). This year it will be Texas (Houston, Clear Lake, Galveston) and Virginia Beach.</p>
<p>Morning all. I haven’t been on since the 22nd. I expected to but things have a way of not always working out. </p>
<p>Happy birthday to those I missed and hope those that are ill are starting to feel better.</p>
<p>Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and hope 2013 is great for all of us.</p>
<p>Christmas morning didn’t start out too well. If you read about the shooting of firefighters responding to a fire that morning in Webster, NY that is one town over from us. As H was a firefighter for our town (chief for several years even) we know some of the firefighters from that town. Not a great way to start the morning. Then later Christmas day we found out that a friend of S from HS was shot to death in Alaska – he was a serviceman. Between the 2 it really made us value family and friends. I don’t understand WHY it takes something like that to hightlight it – must be that day to day things get in the way. So most of the holidays was spent just doing things together. So give your kids and H/W and extra hug and kiss. One just never knows what is going to happen next.</p>
<p>RM, I’m sorry. Such sad news to start any day.</p>
<p>I’m not looking forward to going in to work today. Month end, quarter end and everyone back in the office. This is traditionally one of the worst weeks of the year in my department, but at least we already know it. And all things considered, it’s not the very worst thing that will happen to us and will get through it.</p>
<p>eddie let us know what your D thinks of library of congress. That’s one place in DC that I haven’t been and would like to go.</p>
<p>RM, how very sad. I am a gun control advocate, but I am very aware that Lanza’s mom had the guns legally - so the “no selling to the mentally ill” laws wouldn’t have stopped him, and the firefighters’ shooter was a felon who didn’t purchase the guns legally (and neighbor who sold to him was arrested for doing so.)</p>
<p>
Same here. So much didn’t get done, but I really needed the rest.</p>
<p>H and I saw Lincoln yesterday and really enjoyed it.</p>
<p>I am thinking about adopting some new practices for the year (don’t like the term “New Years Resolutions.”) 1. I need to stop eating peanuts. Ever. I am allergic to tree nuts and am starting to become allergic to peanuts…so during December I would say, “oh just this one piece of homemade peanut brittle” “oh, just this handful of chocolate covered peanuts.” No more. Can’t live on Benedryl. 2. I read the NY Times Book Review then forget what I want to read. So I found a little notebook in which I am recording the books in which I am interested. Yes, modest changes. I’m trying to remember to take flax seed oil pills and I’m considering starting to work out with weights for my arms. But that might be too ambitious. (Only partly kidding.)</p>
<p>I don’t exactly know what she did, but older D was out and about in the city for NY Eve. So, not too scared. Thanks again for everyone’s concern.</p>
<p>Where do posts go when they dissapear? Is there a storage room somewhere or are there post goblins?
I am up at such an unhealthy hour to sedate D’s dog and get her to potty. Our winds are so high that it sounds like fireworks so she is a worried gal.
RM–so sorry to hear of the losses. Very sad. We are hoping 2013 shapes up to be a kinder year.
H and D and doggy are headed to the airport. I hate it when my life leaves in a car.</p>
<p>H had a pink and white striped shirt with a rust colored sweater on. He is color blind but still gets annoyed if told and insisted that it was red and white…as if that improves things. Kinda funny as long as I am not going around with him.
This is pretty coherent for me so I think I should take myself back to bed.</p>
<p>RM, sorry to hear about the deaths. Very sad.</p>
<p>S1 posted on Facebook some spectacular video of the fireworks over Copacabana beach. It looks like a true WOW way to spend New Year’s eve with your friends and about two million other people. I know he is going to miss Rio when he leaves on Saturday.</p>
<p>D1 has been doing her job plus another woman’s who is out on maternity leave. The new part of her job is a higher position and the coworker just told her she is not returning to the company but is instead taking another position with another company with better hours. D1 was the only person to get a year end bonus as the GM said he wanted her to know what a good job she was doing with all of the new responsibilities. D1 is hoping she will be offered the higher position when the coworker gives notice in a few weeks. Can you keep your fingers crossed and send good mojo that this works out for D1? Thanks! :)</p>
<p>NM, Good luck, fingers crossed for your D1.</p>
<p>My day has included a root canal on a front tooth, through a crown. Very complicated tooth. Fortunately it didn’t hurt, and the endodontist even gave me some sedative beforehand that makes me feel happy, very happy. Today, I am grateful for Halcyon.</p>
<p>We got S1 into a dentist’s chair this AM as well. He told me after that he had four cavities. Then,“No, Mom, just fooling. I have none.” I thought it was not so funny on my root canal day.</p>
<p>Hi Everyone! Well we’re back in the US, completely exhausted but it was a wonderful time. Sorry to say goodbye to S and his GF but they have all sorts of plans for traveling during the upcoming Chinese New Year. D’s BF is a great traveling companion and just ate up everything - literally and figuratively. While H and I were having cocktails someplace, the kids all went out for scorpions on a stick - YECCH!
Plane ride home was awful despite melatonin, etc. I was on the aisle and a woman on the diagonal from me kept her kindle brightness on high. It was like a flashlight in my eyes for most of the trip - despite lights off in the cabin and shades drawn. I tapped her on the shoulder at one point and asked to please adjust the brightness. She simply said, ‘No’ and turned away from me.
People are despicable sometimes…
Sorry for the nearby murders, RM.
Northminn - best wishes being sent D’s way! She’s awesome!
Good wishes for good healing, Plantmom!
As always, so glad to hear of all your stories.
Oh well off to work tomorrow! Best of luck to all in 2013</p>
<p>RM – So sorry; what a tough holiday – hard to even imagine firefighters getting shot at. Harder still if your husband is a firefighter.</p>
<p>Woody – welcome back. I found coming back across the Pacific to be the toughest travel. I still swear that the flight attendants were sorting and counting every piece of silverware United owned all night long. The little amenities kit did have a nice lightweight eyemask that I used until the elastic gave out a few years ago; good reminder to buy another one. (I hate lights glaring when I’m trying to sleep. I’m the one who grabs the pad of post-it notes and puts them up over every **** red or green light in hotel rooms. Why the TV, DVD player, coffee pot, and radio need to have a light that beams even when the device is not being used is beyond me. I sort of understand the smoke alarm doing so, but I still cover that light up. I’m sure the maids think I’m bonkers, and they’re probably right.)</p>
<p>RM, very, very sorry for all of the sad news your way. </p>
<p>NM, you are blessed with two wonderful daughters! You should be very, very proud. </p>
<p>PlantMom, one of the attorneys in our office had some dental work done Monday and let’s just say he wasn’t nearly as good-humored about it as you are being. Perhaps I’ll suggest some of the happy pills beforehand. </p>
<p>Woody, glad to hear you are back safe and sound. I don’t think I would have been so even-tempered with the Kindle offender. </p>
<p>I have to say I like it a lot better when a holiday falls on a Friday or Monday. These Tuesday holidays are for the birds. Really busy today and tomorrow isn’t looking any better. D will go back to school this weekend; I know she is bored. Not a lot to do around here and not a lot of HS friends remaining. Hard to believe we’re in the home stretch.</p>