Parents of the HS Class of 2009 (Part 1)

<p>^NM, how many “sleeps” til your trip to London? Just count 'em down and you’ll feel better :)</p>

<p>Debbie Downer reporting in that what I’m reading is “Helping the Child Who Cuts.” It is actually a terrific book but of course shows that we’ve been relating to D in the WRONG way…there is so much to remember and I know H will never read it. I’m highlighting it as if it was homework, because I’m going to try to hit the high points with H when I’m finished. </p>

<p>I did read Inferno over vacation. Not Dan Brown’s best, but it did make me want to go back to Florence.</p>

<p>Arabrab, in a pre-kids life I grew gladiolas. It was nice to have them, but there never seemed to be a critical mass. Buying some when you see beautiful ones seems like the way to go. (BTW, my MIL grew up on a gladiola farm… they were that Dutch.)</p>

<p>I also read Inferno and was disappointed. I agree that the information and descriptions of Florence were lovely!</p>

<p>Hugs, Missypie. And don’t beat your self up. We all do the best we can with the knowledge and information we have at the time. Have had that feeling many times here. I continue to keep your D2 in my prayers.</p>

<p>NM maybe we could do an online book club in the middle of the night. I’m frequently awake then, too. Read The Light Between Two Oceans a few months ago and loved it. Currently reading Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt for my book club at work. Didn’t expect to like it but I am. </p>

<p>S is on his flight home.</p>

<p>It’s beautiful here today. I’m hoping it stays clear for the Perseid meteor shower tonight.</p>

<p>D2 has to fill out a form that asks for her major GPA. Does she just use her accounting classes or does she also add the other business classes required for her major like finance and Business Law, etc??? There isn’t much difference but she wants to be accurate.</p>

<p>NM, can she check online? D’s school calculated it for her since some engineering prerequisites didn’t count to the major GPA yet for other majors they did. She could possibly look at the Registrar’s website to see if there was any guidance there.</p>

<p>me things never change,just book fights for D1 to come home for TG now adding BF.
I read inferno and agree, we however are interested because we will be in Florence this fall. We are definately seeing the Uffizzi gallery, and Vasari corridor.
Eddie ai saw my BF last night, Keith, I know you will be jealous.
Dragged h to buy clothes for trip, some great ideas and saved160.00 dollars. he is average sze so hard to find sized but found some awesome designer deals. m
akes us excited!
MP I also pray for your D. I dont know why they dont give us a handbook on each kid at the hospital when they are discharged.
NM love your lake renovations. makes my new kitchen floor and carpet small in comparison. I love my lake cottage, but will be a while before we renovate, I get lots of ideas from you. Sorry about the headaches, but like childbirth you will forget whenyou are enjoying it.
My MIL is fading fast, she keeps losing weight, I dont thik she remembers to eat. don’t know if we can get someone the house while we persue assisted living. We are still working on the driving. I have encouraged the kids to get together soon, and make decisions she will go kicking and screaming, I am afraid she will not have the resistance to fight off an illness at her current rate, and she is not getting enough interaction. I fee like the puppet master. it would be easier if she was physically unfit, as that could be an excuse.</p>

<p>Hi all–helped a friend shop for her S’s college room. She is from Spain and never lived in a dorm and is totally overwhelmed. In the middle of the trip I felt all of the anxiety of past trips–it was amazing to see the quantity and expense and the worry that goes into getting a kid off. The dad is acting jealous as he was from a poor family and no one did any of this for him. Dad told me S does not need a caddy for his bath items as the bathroom is connected to the room (shared by 4). Odd he would complain about a $3 item. Can’t figure this one out. On an amusing note, I had to keep putting back the hot pink and the turquoise items as in her world there is not the same differences as ours for the genders.
D is home for a few days. We are headed to the beach for a night and tomorrow is my birthday. The dog was happy to see her but clearly sees this as her home. Thursday she becomes an East Coast doggy again.
Books–I was at the grocery and wanted a book book jor the trip (v.s. on line) What is the terminology for this difference now? I bought Let’s Pretend This Never Happened. Has anyone read this? Just finished Lean In so I can give it to D.
Have a nice day and congrats to many of your kids and fingers crossed for the rest. S is doing an internship and it goes towards his graduation this March. Hope to take S, DIL and baby to Vancouver, BC for a few days but am waiting to find out if DIL has either an enhanced drivers license or gets her name changed on her passport. Baby is now 17 months and “likes to jet ski and go tubing”. My tongue is still sore but I did not say a word. Yikes!</p>

<p>Jet skiing with a 17 month old baby? Aye, carumba. </p>

<p>DTE – So hard looking at some who is just fading away. Is there a chaplain who might visit her?</p>

<p>Finished The Cuckoo’s Calling. Thoroughly enjoyable; I hope J.K. Rowling turns this into a series.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’ll second that.</p>

<p>Sorry to hear about your MIL, dte.</p>

<p>sabaray…nothing on her transcript or University website. I told her just use all of her major recs. Hope I am right!</p>

<p>NM, good thing for an accountant to be concerned about doing it accurately. All must be well with the world. But, unless there are big differences in result from doing it different ways, it probably doesn’t matter.</p>

<p>Hi friends. Hugs to all who need them and a cube of ice for Oregon101’s bitten tongue.</p>

<p>Odessagirl did not get the teaching position. She said today that she was afraid she would get it and she was afraid she wouldn’t get it. Regardless, good experience to interview. Her hands were shaking when she got a page out of her portfolio. Her chair swiveled and she had to keep making herself sit still. </p>

<p>We are in Virginia Beach for the week. Haven’t been on the beach yet, spending time reading.</p>

<p>Sorry for you D, eddieO.</p>

<p>Read DaVinci code --no more Dan Brown for me …</p>

<p>Eddie, sorry for your news but a few practice interviews and I’m sure she’ll nail it. Have a great vacation.</p>

<p>Also sending hugs to all who need it. Missy, how is your d feeling these days? Is she anxious about school?</p>

<p>Oregon, I think even more than the “when I was poor thing” that some guys just outright resent that mothering/care impulse – as exemplified by feeling said child doesn’t need a shower caddy, for example :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Z., I admire brown’s capacity to spin a story but always had a bit of trouble with his historical liberties :slight_smile: I know too much about Davinci to be impressed by the ham-fisted historical contrivances perhaps. But at the same time, realize its fiction.</p>

<p>Eddie sorry to hear that your D did not get the job. But it’s great that she got though the interview and the next one is sure to be easier. Has she considered subbing? Not just a great way to gain experience/earn money but at least where I live it has helped several people that I know get an “in” at the local schools. </p>

<p>Enjoy VA beach!</p>

<p>S arrived home last evening after 3 weeks. Tired but had a great trip.</p>

<p>Eddie, sorry to hear the job didn’t work out. FallGirl, nice to have your S home. It sounds like it was a good trip.</p>

<p>Somebody posted this article on another thread–no traction, but I found it interesting reading for those with young women thinking about career/family trade-offs.
<a href=“The Opt-Out Generation Wants Back In - The New York Times”>The Opt-Out Generation Wants Back In - The New York Times;

<p>analyst - I didn’t know that article had been posted on cc, but I happened to have read it. Found it very interesting, but very geared to a certain group of women with very high powered careers who are married to men with the same.</p>

<p>Bridal shower this weekend for future DIL. Went really well. Her Aunt and sister through it and it was lovely. We decided to do one together instead of her family having one and out family having one. Good thing was NONE of my H’s family attended. Yeah for me!!! All my friends (except for one who had last minute guests) were there however and we had a great time. H made her a blanket chest which was beautiful and then I made placemats and napkins for them. S wanted 12 or each and I did Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Valentine’s day. I am also doing them a set of linen “nice” ones but only managed to get 12 of them done. So I managed to get 74 of the 84 done. Not bad but my friends were surprised that I didn’t stay up all night to finish – as I would have done in the past. :)</p>

<p>D – still looking for a job. She is expanding her search and is applying – just nothing out there so far that she has been called for. She really wants something in the health care industry – some data research type thing but is willing to take just about anything. Seems like a lot of hte data analysis jobs really are data entry and they are looking for someone with just a HS diploma – she is willing to take the lesser salary to get some experience but many feel that that makes her over qualified. Ugh…</p>

<p>Very interesting article. Thanks for posting TA. I see parallels with my own opting out! H is usually very supportive and grateful for me staying home with the girls. It has allowed him the freedom to be successful in his career. I always had intentions to return to the corporate world but neither of us wanted me to have to work evenings/weekends so I could shuttle kids and attend games or concerts and school meetings/conferences while he didn’t have to worry about taking off work. He still does windows and floors, though! ;)</p>

<p>RM…how fun! I am so impressed with your sewing skills!!! Congrats on the shower. And a blanket chest! He must be very talented. Good Luck to RochesterD. Something will come up.</p>