<p>I am always glad to hear other posters vent, FallGirl…makes me feel I am not alone! Sounds very frustrating. I am procrastinating on going to work, mainly because I am frustrated there and want to be a SAHM to Sabadog. Unfortunately our economic situation has never allowed for that luxury! </p>
<p>H went flying off yesterday for “meetings” since he is now “very important”. D went home yesterday. I am super frustrated with my mother who is essentially living like a bag lady while donating ridiculous sums of money to the university so people won’t forget my father. What? I have news for her. Unless you’re giving in the $100k plus range, you’re already forgotten.</p>
<p>Interesting experiences here. I love to hear how other families manged these issues…</p>
<p>Well, I have entered the world of craigslist in an attempt to get rid of some excess furniture we have around here. Mostly S’s childhood bedroom and we’re painting, installing moldings, etc his room as well. I can’t believe we waited until 2 weeks before his planned return to the homestead to do this. The kid has been out of the house for 7 years for heaven’s sake. I guess we like to procrastinate…</p>
<p>D and her roommates went to look at a couch last night. The price is right and now they have to figure out how to get it to their apartment. Ah, city life. </p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I hear ya. I see that a lot, with some staff members and some junior lawyers. Until they show me that they can do the work assigned to them - promptly and accurately - what makes them think they should receive more challenging assignments?</p>
<p>I have a huge problem with people thinking jobs are beneath them. Have I told you the story about the rush Fed Ex package? I was expecting a package by 1st morning delivery. After a while I started calling around to track it down. Right then, the managing partner of the firm appeared with the package in his hands. Backstory: my secretary was out, so the secretary who sits next to her signed for it. Then, even though it was a Fed Ex package, she put it in my secretary’s in box (where it could have sat for a week.) She could have (a) brought it to me, (b) called me and told me it was in my secretary’s in box, or (c) emailed me with the same message. She chose (d) - do nothing. The managing partner, passing by, saw a Fed Ex package in the in box, thought it might be inportant, and brought it to me.</p>
<p>Looks like D will be needing the fairy dust. She had a phone screen yesterday and they contacted her today about an interview next week. She says it sounds interesting. She is waiting on answering them as her car is not back from getting fixed from the fender bender. We are trying to find out if it will be done this week as promised. Plus side is that the job is in Boston – which is of course where she wants to be. She is very excited about the possibility of this one and is VERY interested in the job so no matter when it is next week lots of good Karma please, fairy dust, prayers, good thoughts – what ever – we’ll take it ALL!!!</p>
<p>Course the downside is that we will be over at Cape Cod the following week with a vacation rental. So – she get’s to drive over twice in 2 weeks – isn’t that nice? I suppose if they offer her the job she will also have to move over there and that will be another trip – she would have to be back at the end of Sept. for her brother’s wedding but I’m getting WAY ahead of myself!!</p>
<p>Awesome! Being very excited and very interested goes a long way. Sending pixie dust her way (and to all job seekers.)</p>
<p>Older D has a phone screen today for an internship. We really don’t know if it’s an actual interview or more in the nature of “we would need you X hours a week, do you have that much time?” kind of screen. But as we’ve all said, every call, every phone screen, every face to face interview is good practice.</p>
<p>Craigslist – A while back we advertised three large whisky barrels of bamboo – free, you haul. A guy wanted them: he showed up in a PRIUS. I was skeptical that he would get this in his car, but he discarded the rotting barrels, trimmed the bamboo a bit, and loaded them in his car.</p>
<p>He wanted the bamboo for part of a hedge he has against the neighbor’s wolves.</p>
<p>And he’s a fisherman: brought us a package of halibut he had just caught.</p>
<p>Now we’re wondering what else we might want to give away.</p>
<p>I’ve been calling consignment shops as well. I asked H what he thought. His response? “Give it away, throw it away, burn it.” I guess I called him at the wrong time…
Now I see on ebay that I seriously underpriced this stuff.</p>
<p>I try to have a sweeter answer, but that is what I am thinking during virtually every phone conversation with my mother, who is endlessly going through stuff and asking me if she should keep it.</p>
<p>missypiie you are so nice in that you only think about saying that. I have actually said something like that out loud to my MIL ( she keeps everything) but only because I knew that she wouldn’t be offended.</p>
<p>RM, that’s so exciting that your D’s upcoming interview is for a job that she is excited about. Wishing her and missypie’s D the best of luck.</p>
<p>FallGirl, vent away. It’s hard when you don’t directly manage this person, so you can’t give him the kind of serious attitude correction he needs. There are so many talented, hard-working people who would be thankful for his job.</p>
<p>Today is Tuesday. S2 plans to leave on Thursday. So far his preparations have consisted of doing his laundry. I guess tomorrow is the day he will do everything else.</p>
<p>If she gets the job and moves to Boston, it might be wise for her to live in a place where she can take public transportation to work. No need for a car.</p>
<p>We’re giving all we can to our kids as they set up apartments. Please go into the basement and take furniture, pots, plates, … . Every once in a while, ShawWife discovers she’s given away an appliance she actually now wants. Alas. Plus, we regularly give stuff to Big Brother/Big Sister or Epilepsy or a church that our organizing lady belongs to. We also have a lifetime supply of interesting fabrics and ribbons (a lifetime supply for a community of, say, 100). Bolts of polarfleece she got when Malden Mills was going bankrupt. Who knows what all the stuff is and in which century it will be used. But, I doubt I could get ShawWife to give that stuff up.</p>
<p>Happy International Left-Handers Day to those of you who are left-handed! S1 and I are but nobody in my family of origin was.</p>
<p>Have given things away to both sons for their apartments . Have some bigger furniture I’d love to get rid of but that will have to wait until they get bigger places and are more settled.</p>
<p>Good luck to the kids that are interviewing and looking for jobs. And safe travels to your son, TA, in getting to his new job!</p>
<p>missypie,I was kind of glad that S1 ended up being left handed . He lived with 4 other guys in a house straight out of college. They were all his frat buddies and all 5 of them were left-handed! The chances of that were crazy!</p>
<p>I actually do everything left-handed (even kicked with left foot in kickball) but I did play guitar right-handed. But you really need decent dexterity in both hands for the guitar so that probably didn’t matter much.</p>
<p>Yes, woody, An early teacher wanted to try to get me to write with my right hand but my parents had something to say about that! Good to see some other lefties in the bunch! We are definitely a minority in the population as a whole.</p>
<p>Anyone remember the old Calgon commercial where the mom/wife needs to escape to a bubble bath? Well…Calgon, please take me away!!! D2 is VERY crabby tonight as she is now stressed for the interviews tomorrow. HELP!</p>