Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>zoosermom,</p>

<p>I almost laughed out loud when I read about your hot oral surgeon.</p>

<p>It reminded me of the summer of '76 when I was spending 90 days at Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego. Well, I was of an age where I needed my remaining two wisdom teeth removed. Wow! I was so attracted to my oral surgeon. Just looking at him made the whole surgery almost enjoyable. Almost.</p>

<p>hi donnagal!! how come i never get a cute doctor???</p>

<p>^^I thought you were married to a cute doctor!</p>

<p>doctor but no one said cute!!! most people compare him to an absent minded professor…he perpetually needs a haircut, has an einstein hair style look most of the time, no matter how dressed up, looks dishevelled</p>

<p>DB – Very sorry to hear about your friend!</p>

<p>TWINMAMA – Congrats to your eldest D on the “real” job interview… hope all goes well. Sorry about the “we have a problem” at precisely the wrong time. Hopefully ServiceMaster will leave it “like it never happened.” We had that once when the D’s were little. D1 came in our room in the middle of the night, “I am sorry to wake you up, but my and D2’s rooms are flooded. I thought you might want to know.” :eek: The water connection in the bathroom between their rooms had ruptured and was everywhere. </p>

<p>ML – Anticipation! Countdown to Sunday.</p>

<p>P56 – Sending good thoughts to Lilly!</p>

<p>Aliceinw – The scrolling may also be a function of your screen resolution. I am using 1280x800 on my laptop. Just tell me that you aren’t one of those low IQ Internet Explorer users. :wink:
[BBC</a> News - Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study](<a href=“http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878]BBC”>Internet Explorer story was bogus - BBC News)</p>

<p>ZM – Sorry to hear about the chinchilla, but glad to hear that things are looking up for the soon to be Dapper PBK. </p>

<p>2edu – Welcome back to your S!</p>

<p>Mathmom – Sorry that the family stays didn’t work out well.</p>

<p>AL34 – To continue above… D2 is not too outgoing, but stayed with a family for 6 weeks in Spain the summer following her junior HS year and really liked it. The program she was with ensured that there were 2 students staying with each family, so she was not on her own. Her experience was good enough that she opted to stay with a family (alone) this time instead of the dorms. She ended up with a good family this time too that took her places, etc., but others basically just had a place to sleep without much other support.</p>

<p>Speaking of which, DW informed me today that the newspaper will be at our house Saturday morning to interview D2 about her Spain trip. Oh, and they want to talk to her parents too. Huh? Why me? I guess I have to get dressed and bathe now on Saturday. I hear Lowe’s calling my name. ;)</p>

<p>

You have to be a glutton for punishment or a much better person that I am to venture too far from here.</p>

<p>Re: Running – I finally got in my full “loop” this weekend. I had not been able to do it since whatever kicked my butt in July. Luckily, things have “cooled down” into the low 90’s in Cincinnati.</p>

<p>

As opposed to me who only had 2. Tells you something, huh? ;)</p>

<p>Apparently, I did not get the memo that this was Medical Practice Smut Day. Dental Debauchery, OB-scenity, Restorative Raunchiness, X-Rayted, Peptic Prurience. You “guys” are sick. I’m shocked and darn proud of you for it. :wink: YDS – doesn’t it defeat the purpose if the rheumatologist puts the kinks in? :)</p>

<p>D1 has found another girl looking for apartments that is already living out of a hotel in NoVa, so they are looking together. D1 put together a spreadsheet of options (after checking availability) and sent them to the girl who is checking them out tonight. D1 is going to NoVa tomorrow to visit the most promising options during the day and talk to the rental office. They hope to come up with something by tomorrow night… keep your fingers crossed. DW and I, we’re still just riding the stress train hoping this gets resolved.</p>

<p>p56 - Awww…sounds adorable!</p>

<p>gsharp… hope you are happy, i just spit my tea onto my screen!! LOL</p>

<p>just got an email with the mri pictures, i can read human ones on a rudimentary level, but dogs???..it doesnt look good! could be 2 levels on the cord itself…waiting to hear what the vet says.</p>

<p>…she’s gone into surgery!.. vet says about a 4 hour surgery.</p>

<p>P56 prayers for poor lily from ca. May the surgeon be at the very top of his game</p>

<p>p56 - hugs to your S1 and prayers for Lilly. </p>

<p>GSharp - :D</p>

<p>Sending good luck wishes to your D1. I hope she and her friend find a great place tomorrow.</p>

<p>Welcome back to mathmom’s S and to 2ed’s S. I’m sure you’re both thrilled to have them back home.</p>

<p>p56,</p>

<p>My best wishes, too, for Lily’s full recovery.</p>

<p>Excellent - following G# so I can just say “ditto” - especially regarding the dr. stuff! I am all thumbs when it comes to clever repartee.</p>

<p>What is this SAHM thread? Am I missing a vicarious lurking opportunity?</p>

<p>Back from a week of R and R. Picked up S1 this weekend in DC. 4 garbage bags full of dirty clothes. he had counted out the EXACT amount of clothes needed to make it home.</p>

<p>He starts COLLEGE somewhere around the end of the month, but we can’t get a firm date from him yet. He might return early and assist with the freshman move-in. Can’t believe we are doing launch rockets for sophomore year already. </p>

<p>Annual block party approaching fast. S1 convinced everyone to push it back a few weeks until he could be there. </p>

<p>S2’s football season swinging into high gear. Still hasn’t even opened the study guide for his driver’s license. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>G#–continued good luck on your D’s apartment hunt! </p>

<p>Must go check out that SAHM thread. ;)</p>

<p>Today I learned S would rather continue to step around the bag of stuff belonging to his former roommate that I put in the MIDDLE of his room than make arrangements for the former roommate to get it. Apparently. :confused:</p>

<p>Morning, all. Coffee’s ready and I have some bagels and cream cheese. Help yourself.</p>

<p>Hoping to hear good news about Lily.</p>

<p>Also, cheers/condolences to those getting ready to pack your kids off to college.</p>

<p>I have lox for the bagels/cream cheese…now we’re in business!</p>

<p>Woke up to a lovely rainstorm. After weeks of hot, humid, & no rain, it is most welcome.</p>

<p>Lurked but decided not to join in on the SAHM thread. It’s the kind of discussion where everyone’s right in some way, and no one’s mind will be changed. Been there, done that! :)</p>

<p>Son’s work is near campus so he’s there every day. Orientation is in full swing (4000-plus freshmen) and he remembers…this was him last year!</p>

<p>Good Morning!</p>

<p>S has changed his departure date. I changed it on the list.</p>

<p>JC40’s D; prayinglady’s D – 8/6
Parent56’s S; SWTCAT’s D – 8/10
CheckersMidwest’ S – 8/14
Tx5’s D—8/15
BUandBC’s S - 8/17
Lafalum84’s D – 8/18
2education’s S1 --8/19
MaineLonghorn’s S, Twinmama D2, Shillyshally’s D – 8/20
RobD’s D; AL34’s S – 8/21
Twinmama D1-- 8/23
CaliforniaDancer – 8/26
Coskat’s D-- 8/27
mdemvizi, PinotNoir’s S – 8/27
DougBetsy’s S – 8/28
limabeans’s BB3, SLUMOM’s S – 8/28
zoosermom’s D2 – 8/28
jbehlend’s S – 8/29
psychmom’s D – 8/30
Yds’ ds – 9/4 (we leave the day before)
CountingDown’s S2, Mathmom’s S2 – 9/4
jackief’s D – 9/6
pugmadkate’s S – 9/7
aliceinw’s S – 9/9
ProudNJMom’s S; G#’s D2 – 9/10
Tx5’s S – 9/14
FindAPlace’s S – 9/18
2leashes’ D --9/19
psychmomma’s S – 9/20
mommusic’s S – 9/21
esobay’s S – 9/22 </p>

<p>Welcome home to all the sons - mathmom, 2ed, IL, and p56!</p>

<p>p56 - I hope Lilly is okay.</p>

<p>G# - I hope your D finds an apartment she likes!</p>

<p>Wishing everyone a wonderful Wednesday!</p>

<p>

Actually, it’s this week! The family has been sporadically watching but is eagerly anticipating the Andy Samberg (SNL/Lonely Island comedian) special where he swims with the sharks.</p>

<p>AL34: Hugs to you! Moving day is creeping up. I’m not feeling bad yet, cause D hasn’t been home to miss her. But once she’s back…well yeah, August 21st is gonna come quick :(</p>

<p>Limabeans: when is your S looking for a place to crash? We are just barely south of where you mentioned. </p>

<p>That SAHM thread…yeah, I had to go look. I really want to jump in, but I’ve been slammed at work and haven’t had the time. Of course, I realized then that the poster we’re all referring to is one I just engaged with regarding back to school nights & PTA. Guess I’d better go check to see where that conversation went. </p>

<p>

Mathmom: did he get his stuff yet? D & her suitcase should be taking off from Heathrow in just about 24 hours and I’m hoping they both arrive safely.</p>

<p>P56: How’s Lily?</p>

<p>Hoping for a calmer day today: yesterday included drama with a messed up junior year schedule for D2, a bizarre day at work including me realizing I’d made a major mistake (which ended up being corrected but jeez…,) email from our HOA saying that there’s a den of coyotes in the middle of the subdivision, and dinner with 3 friends where 2 were telling us about their ongoing divorces. I went home & thanked the family for being functional ;)</p>

<p>G#: you’re not passing through the ATL tomorrow are you? Maybe we can wave at each other.</p>

<p>good morning all…thanks for coffee and bagels donnagal and momusic!!</p>

<p>hoping no news is good news…no text from S1 during the night…he promised an update after surgery</p>

<p>Hi, all! Thank you so much for all of your prayers, hugs, and good thoughts. Things are settling down a bit.
My mom has been home with me now for about 10 days. The surgical wound has finally healed. She is weak and has far more anxiety issues than before her hospitalization but I think I am making progress with her.
My granddaughter in London was released from the hospital last Saturday after being there for 15 days. After 2 MRI’s, 2 lumbar punctures, 3 EEG’s, and 14 days of IV anti-virals, the neurologist diagnosed her with an atypical febrile seizure. The hospital experience there was awful, awful but, fortunately, there is no permanent damage.
College daughter is now on an overnight train from Beijing to Dandong - a Chinese city on the border with North Korea. They will be there for two days before traveling to Pyongyang this weekend. I keep telling myself this is a wonderful opportunity but I think I will be terrified for the 5 days she is there.
I haven’t been able to keep up with you all but hope all of the kiddos getting ready to return to their campuses are all doing well. Dd will be going back on August 25. She has been a great kid this summer - so supportive and helpful with everything going on here. I will really miss her when she heads back to college.</p>