Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>morning all!
just checking in to wish everyone a good day. P56 Hope Lily is doing well as is everyone else going through trials here.
Had a wonderful night with the boys. Man we had the coolest thunderstorms ever. I have never seen so much lightning, it was literally non-stop. Had to go out and pick up DS2 at 11pm, DS1 came with me to hit Steak-n-Shake. The ground lit up pink in the distance so for fun we followed it towards the fields until we couldn’t see it anymore. It was one of those rare fun times that you get fewer and fewer as your kids get older. Awesome time. Also got to make an art store run with DS1 and spent all kinds of $ on supplies, which he feels indebted and grateful for, but I say goes under the category of school supplies. I remember working on my BFA and scraping pennies to get a new portfolio or pen, thrilled he is so happy to get these things. Shout out to Hobby Lobby for their 40% coupons!
Have a great day y’all - up to school with 230 uniforms coming back from the cleaners, will be cool to see the new marchers!</p>

<p>Morning, iPeeps!</p>

<p>Not much going on here. Just hot. When I woke up at 5:45, it was 81 with a heat index of 86. Why is there a heat index before 6 a.m.??? Having lunch with a good friend whose last ds graduated from HS this year so I won’t be seeing her at school events/volunteering this year. :(</p>

<p>Hoping for good news about Lily.</p>

<p>Wishing everyone safe travels, great reunions and a wonderful Wednesday.</p>

<p>ETA: (((Hugs))) for Bonnie.</p>

<p>good to see you back bonnienj!!! and happy to hear things are settling down…and your mother and granddaughter are home and doing better!!</p>

<p>)xoxoxoxo></p>

<p>JC40’s D; prayinglady’s D – 8/6
Parent56’s S; SWTCAT’s D – 8/10
CheckersMidwest’ S – 8/14
Tx5’s D—8/15
BUandBC’s S - 8/17
Lafalum84’s D – 8/18
2education’s S1 --8/19
MaineLonghorn’s S, Twinmama D2, Shillyshally’s D – 8/20
RobD’s D; AL34’s S – 8/21
Twinmama D1-- 8/23
BonnieNewJersey D- 8/25
CaliforniaDancer – 8/26
Coskat’s D-- 8/27
mdemvizi, PinotNoir’s S – 8/27
DougBetsy’s S – 8/28
limabeans’s BB3, SLUMOM’s S – 8/28
zoosermom’s D2 – 8/28
jbehlend’s S – 8/29
psychmom’s D – 8/30
Yds’ ds – 9/4 (we leave the day before)
CountingDown’s S2, Mathmom’s S2 – 9/4
jackief’s D – 9/6
pugmadkate’s S – 9/7
aliceinw’s S – 9/9
ProudNJMom’s S; G#’s D2 – 9/10
Tx5’s S – 9/14
FindAPlace’s S – 9/18
2leashes’ D --9/19
psychmomma’s S – 9/20
mommusic’s S – 9/21
esobay’s S – 9/22</p>

<p>S2 gets home sometime tonight!!! woohoo!! Thanks for all good thoughts for Lily…couldnt wait so i texted S1…will let you know as soon as i hear</p>

<p>Good morning. :)</p>

<p>p56 - I hope all the news is good for Lilly. </p>

<p>Welcome home to all our travelers. </p>

<p>RobD - Yes, some days we just have to be grateful that we’re functional. </p>

<p>Thanks for the breakfast. I love lox. </p>

<p>Today is S & D’s next college visit adventure. They’re driving from home to Allentown, Pa tonight. Tomorrow is a tour, info session, and interview at Muhlenberg. I hope she likes it. Great merit aid potential. Alas, I fear it will have “hill issues” like Ithaca, Denison, and Lafayette. Oh, well. Fingers crossed. </p>

<p>Have a great Wednesday. :)</p>

<p>Hi BonnieNJ. :slight_smile: It’s great to hear from you. I’m glad your sweet granddaughter is home and will recover. I’m sending good thoughts for your D in China and strength to you as you continue to care for your mom. {{hugs}}</p>

<p>Just waving hi to all…thanks for the bagel and coffee!</p>

<p>D is back from China!</p>

<p>Bonnie, Totally empathize with what you’re going through.</p>

<p>Hugggggs to Lily.</p>

<p>

Maybe PBK will grow up to be like him because there seem to be certain similarities. One can only hope!</p>

<p>

You are a gift, buddy!</p>

<p>P56, sending up good thoughts for Lily. We need some good pet news.</p>

<p>DB - I will be interested in hearing about your S/D’s trip to muhlenberg. That is on S2’s early radar screen, because he had a conversation with a baseball coach :rolleyes:, but I have heard good things about the academics.</p>

<p>

My D2 was thisclose to attending Muhlenberg. She loved, loved it and they seemed to share the view. We were all beyond impressed with the school and the atmosphere. FWIW, she got her best financial aid package from Muhlenberg. No hill issues at Muhlenberg. Very compact (and lovely) campus. The only thing that bothered me (and I KNOW this is ridiculous) is that there is a busy street to be crossed between the main campus and the library. One busy street. Busy by Podunk, PA standards, not NYC standard, and I fussed about it. It’s tough being my kid. Sigh.</p>

<p>G# - I can’t believe you have “outed” me!! I do indeed use Internet Explorer, and Internet Explorer 7, to boot. Don’t tell anyone about my lower IQ, I want everyone to think I’m really smart. In truth, my laptop is owned and controlled by my employer and I have no choice in the matter. Alas. I am using the same resolution for my screen that you mentioned. If you have any suggestions for what’s ailing my blackberry when it gets to the cc site, let me know.</p>

<p>{{hugs}} to Bonnie - glad to hear things are settling. And best wishes for Lily.</p>

<p>Welcome home to all the traveling sons and daughters.</p>

<p>Very busy day at work today.</p>

<p>BonnieJ: Glad to her your granddaughter is ok - {hugs}, it all sounds so scary. </p>

<p>P56: Hope you hear about Lilly soon. </p>

<p>gSharp: Ummm…I use Internet Explorer. :p</p>

<p>SAHM: I searched all through the Parent Cafe trying to figure out just what SAHM meant. (Must be because I use Internet Explorer ?!) and finally today dawned on me. I read part of that thread…first few posts were ok so I quit reading before I got to the stuff you were all talking about. The key is to quit happy. :)</p>

<p>We got the final flight arrangements for our exchange student. She lands next Thursday night at 9:19. Looks like she’ll be traveling about 20 hours. (Plus our 2 hr drive home). She’s going to be exhausted.</p>

<p>High School Booster Club meeting tomorrow night. It has begun…</p>

<p>Also woke up to a heat index in mid 80’s this morning. Actually relieved, yesterday’s temp was 105 with heat index almost 115. Too hot to mow, the grass is all dying anyway - the yard looks just terrible. This will be the 4th week of 90-100 degree days with heat indexes over 100.</p>

<p>LOL, zm. You just had me in a panic about the street the library is on. But now I’m better. From Google Earth, it looks like 2 lanes of traffic with parallel parking on both sides. I think that’s OK. :)</p>

<p>IL - I’ll let you know what the reaction is. :)</p>

<p>p56 - good thoughts for Lily!</p>

<p>Bonnie - so glad your granddaughter came through everything a-OK and what a load you’ve been carrying - hugs!</p>

<p>I happilly am wearing a pair of pants today that hasn’t fit in over 5 years - and they fit well :slight_smile: It’s the little things :)</p>

<p>G# - I thought of your D2 last night on my nightly walk as I was near the area she’ll be working/looking to live and I sent up good vibes that something great and affordable comes her way!</p>

<p>D2 is officially a licensed driver now - need to call the insurance today! She’s mad we haven’t let her take the car solo yet but I am so not ready and not before I call the insurance which I am dragging my heels on…</p>

<p>

As long as kids understand that, without mom there to hold hands, they have to be super-diligent about looking both ways before crossing, it should be fine!</p>

<p>Good morning everyone. I’m helping myself to some bagels and coffee.</p>

<p>Bonnie - how scary for your little granddaughter. Sending good thoughts her way</p>

<p>p56 - hope to hear that all is well with Lilly.</p>

<p>DB - My D received excellent merit and talent aid for Muhlenberg. She actually had decided to attend, but then was accepted off the waitlist to her first choice audition school. I don’t think there were any hills on the campus!</p>

<p>Driving D2 up to my parents house this afternoon for her to spend the next 5 days. She has spent her whole summer horse showing and while she loves this both her and her horse need a bit of a break. Spending time with the grandparents going to movies, getting mani-pedis and of course shopping is the perfect break for her!</p>

<p>Morning all! </p>

<p>Just popping in to ~wave~ hi to all you lovely folks out there. Loved the latest G# recap!! </p>

<p>D will be working some welcome week activities so she is scheduled for move-in on August 17. We’re driving out together and then I’m flying off on a short business trip then back home. She is so ready to go back and I am happy to send her off for her sophomore year. So many great things happening at her school! :cool:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I can see you will sympathize with her. Unlike D’s family last fall in Rome. D had been travelling for over 24 hours (she had a layover) and they proceeded to pick her up at 6 pm Rome time and take her out to their typical Friday night dinner and did not get her home until 2 am. :eek: Can you imagine being that clueless? Good luck with the exchange student and I hope it goes well for you.</p>

<p>Good morning! I also visited the SAHM thread after hearing about here, read a few posts and also decided to quit while I was ahead.</p>

<p>This is day 7 of houseguests. The girls (14 and 18) are behaving great, but my family (DH, D1 and S2) are starting to meltdown a bit. Does that happen to anyone else?<br>
S2 and the 18 year old are going to LA today to see a new comedy being taped at CBS. Hopefully it will be a good adventure.</p>

<p>P56: I have been thinking about Lily since yesterday. Last night Henry and I had dog school and there is a very cute french bulldog (Ace) in our class. </p>

<p>Running: I too want to start running again. I ran the 5K on Sunday and although my time was pretty slow, I felt pretty good for not having run since the last 5K I ran without training for in April. I was a little sore on Monday and very sore yesterday.</p>

<p>The good news is that I am working today and then I am off for 18 days, then I work 5 and then I am off for another 8! Woo hoo!!!</p>

<p>(((HUGS))) to bonnienj, parent56, and anyone else who could use one!!</p>

<p>G#, thanks for the recap! The Servicemaster machines are still in our house whirring away, sucking up all the nasty water from the subflooring…apparently this has been going on for a while :(. Then we’ll have to get a contractor in (after we get back from our vacation next week) to put it all back together. Fortunately insurance will cover everything but the deductible. Could be worse!</p>

<p>~~~ to all!</p>