Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Hello all…I am soo woefully behind…but I had to chime in about all of the dentist talk…now I know why we have been so incredibly busy at our office…because EVERYONE has dentist appointments lately…lol. That’s why I havent been able to keep up here…
We are taking 3 days off next week to move D back to school. She moves into the sorority house on Wednesday. As YDS said…it has been well over 100 here in Texas…yesterday it was 111. I am not looking forward to moving her in the heat!</p>

<p>YDS…my dentist is pretty cute too…except I’m married to mine :)</p>

<p>I will try to catch up tomorrow…going to dinner and drinks with my best friend, her daughter and my daughter…should be fun!</p>

<p>Happy anniversary Checkers!!!.. dorm stuff??? son goes back on the 10th…i cant go with him, so have a feeling, if he cleans the 3 dorm mountains i will still have a waiting to go mountain left over</p>

<p>~~~~~ swtcat!..</p>

<p>We took D to college last fall in an SUV with a roof box. We brought her home in the same SUV with the same roof box despite her leaving a pile of stuff at a friend’s off-campus house. Now she and I are going to try to bring her back to campus in her 4 door sedan. And did I mention she plans to bring her fishtank with her? I suspect we’re going to end up looking like the Clampetts in the opening of the Beverly Hillbillies! I suspect I’ll find myself on very good terms with our post office, as I’ll be mailing a lot of stuff to her that we can’t fit in the car. OTOH, it may not fit in her room at school, either. Her room this year is tiny - an 8x10 single, with one corner cut out for the closet. But it’s part of an apartment, so she will also have a shared living room and full kitchen. WHATEVER… I’m gradually getting better at letting go and letting my kids figure out their own problems!</p>

<p>So sorry for the parts of the country that are sweltering. It was in the 70’s and dry here today. I’m about to shut off the AC and open the windows. It’s ok… you guys in TX can laugh at me in February and March. </p>

<p>Happy anniv to checkers and the Showmoms!</p>

<p>Today is the 51st day of 100+ temps here. Each of the past two days we’ve set records for electricity usage. I do my part between 3 and 7 p.m. as asked and have started keeping the thermostat at 80 all afternoon, until I start cooking dinner. But, really, this is beyond ridiculous. I feel for the band kids in this heat. At least ds2 is running on shady trails and then takes a dip in the springs afterward.</p>

<p>Today, I finalized all the details for ds1’s return to college. Cheap (relatively) flights, cheap car rental thanks to priceline and super-cheap hotel room thanks to BIL. I’m getting really excited, especially to be someplace where it won’t be 107! Also made him an appt with his allergist and dermatologist (neither of whom is attractive so he can go by himself. lol)</p>

<p>Happy anniversary to all you lovebirds! :heart:</p>

<p>YDS, 51?!?!? Good Lord. DS will be in heaven here if he even runs in the “heat of the day!” I’m hoping Austin cools off a little before he gets back there.</p>

<p>Yikes on the Texas heat, YDS! I wish we could send some cool weather your way. It’s been hot in VA, but not for 51 days straight.</p>

<p>jc40: BTW, we Virginians have been negotiating with the weather gods for your DD’s arrival at C’ville this weekend. It should be in the balmy low 90s for her. </p>

<p>lima: belated ♪ ♫ birthday ♪ ♫ wishes to BB#1. I hope your mother is doing OK. {{Hugs}} to you.</p>

<p>GSharp: you’ve outdone yourself this time with the cakes. :D</p>

<p>Laf: LOL about the Beverly Hillbillies. You have my sympathies on the back-to-school transportation. </p>

<p>Did I mention that S2 wanted to arrange a convoy of 2 vehicles & a UHaul trailer for all his stuff? DH & I said “NYET!”</p>

<p>May I say “ditto” on anniversary wishes to all the lovebirds?</p>

<p>Sending healing wishes to all those dealing with ailing parents & BonnieNJ’s granddaughter.</p>

<p>Happy anniversary to showmom and laf. H and I just celebrated our 24th anniversary on Tuesday. </p>

<p>GSharp - loved the cakes! </p>

<p>Belated birthday wishes to lima’s BB1.</p>

<p>Bonnie - so glad your granddaughter is ok - I was very worried about her.</p>

<p>It’s not 100% certain, but I’m pretty sure D is going back to school on 8/23. We have hotel reservations, but that date is subject to change.</p>

<p>YDS - that’s some crazy heat you have down there! Today was a great day here - in the 80s with very little humidity. Too bad I was stuck in my office all day.</p>

<p>ML - I don’t think I’ve said, but I’m so happy about how well your S is doing, and I know that you have to be so excited to have him coming home so soon.</p>

<p>YDS - those temps are horrible. We are in the mid 70’s today on the coast and it is suppose to cool down here for a couple of days then be up into the low 80’s later next week. I don’t know how you stand it. No AC in our house as we are a mile from the coast here in SoCal and we literally only need AC about 1 week a year. When it gets too hot for us we just use the fans and go to a movie! Last week in Pebble Beach our average temp was 60 degrees.</p>

<p>When D came home from NYC in May this was part of a round trip flight so no travel plans to make. She flies back alone as much of her stuff was already moved from the dorm into her apartment before she came home. She wants to take some of her music books and a few odds and ends back with her so I will probably ship a couple of boxes. Otherwise she will take her big suitcase and duffle on Southwest at no charge and grab a cab at the airport back to her apartment.</p>

<p>I can’t even imagine the mid-70s right now, showmom. Ds2 starts running any minute, and it’s still 103. I guess I don’t mind the heat that much. I used to run in it, too. It’s just the relentlessness of week after week of it. The wildlife is suffering not to mention the lawns. I was hand-watering yesterday, and the most adorable black-capped vireo landed on a tree branch just about 3 feet from me. He was drinking the little bits of water caught in the flowers on the crape myrtle. And the poor people who can’t afford AC and are trying to make do with box fans. When ds2 starts school in two weeks, he’ll have about a 45-minute, un-air-conditioned bus ride in this stuff. There’s a chance that he’ll get a ride with a good friend there and back if they decide to stick with cross country. PHEW!</p>

<p>Hope everyone got a piece of cake. It took me all day to bake them. :wink: You too can produce works of ASCII art if you follow the simple tutorial…
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/10973662-post3850.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/10973662-post3850.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Lima – Glad you got to enjoy dinner and homemade cake with BB1. I’m sure that your cake was both more tasty and tasteful than mine. :wink: Sorry to hear of your mother’s relapse.</p>

<p>YDS – Speaking of cakes. In keeping with the medical theme, we’ll just call her Nurse Goodbody. ;)</p>

<p>LAF – Happy Early Anniversary! Oh, and glad that I could make your day. For my birthday, I will be moving D2 back into her dorm. Thomas Sweets ice cream is already in the plan for that night.</p>

<p>Happy Anniversary to ShowMom and ShowPop!</p>

<p>Happy Early Anniversary to the Checkers’!</p>

<p>BT – Nice to see you back. All is right with the world again.</p>

<p>To all the teachers. I hope that you have great years and don’t have a G# in your class. I don’t think that we have any here, but I’d also like to put in a plug for school librarians. The one at D2’s elementary school went out of her way to help her.</p>

<p>

D1 started pushing those buttons early and hasn’t stopped. I can still vividly recall one night around 3:00AM rolling over and calmly telling DW, “I think that we got the baby from Hell.” :)</p>

<p>Regardless, D1 and her roommates (they picked up another young lady in the process) theoretically have a 3BR apartment! Divided 3 ways, it is affordable. She just has to go to NoVa and fill out paperwork tomorrow. I’ll believe it when I see it. She says that she can walk to work from the apartment, so that is a plus. Of course, the bad news is that means that “G# Moving, Inc.” will be headed to NoVa Saturday (after the newspaper gets done interviewing D2), ergh!</p>

<p>If you need anything else, I’ll be sitting in the back of the class at “Our Lady of the Wisdom Deficient” with coskat. :)</p>

<p>Walk to work? G#, that’s awesome!</p>

<p>WOW! Did everyone here get married the same week? I will just add one big HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! to everyone celebrating! </p>

<p>GSharp: Congrats to D1 on the apartment! Just think with all of these moves the past few years, you could start a part-time business. :)</p>

<p>YDS: 51 Days?? Wow! :frowning: </p>

<p>Laf: I love the comment about the Beverly Hillbillies! That’s how my Focus looked last year and it will look the same this year, except somehow I have to fit a coffee table, it’s not assembled but still! And another thing, why the heck does he need a coffee table? He doesn’t even drink coffee!! ;)</p>

<p>Thank you again GSharp for those delicious racy cakes. I went back to look at them just now and I think that’s about the only time I smiled all day.</p>

<p>Sorry to be such a grouch. I spent the entire day in the hospital with my brother and mother. She’s doing just horribly. This hospital is so awful compared to the one we have. And they are so timid of her issues. They put her on a “soft foods” diet with thick liquids. That means she had tasteless green puree of something at lunch, mashed potatoes, and puree meat goop. Thickened milk. Thickened apple juice. (That’s regular milk or juice with a thickener in it.) Then she was given the exact same mess for dinner. (ACM: we need your help here!) I suggested she have similar foods she had at our hospital when she was there last week, like jello and ice cream. But, “as a precaution” they didn’t want to give that to her. Said both jello and ice cream aren’t considered thickened when they are at room temperature. :eek: Meanwhile, my mother is declining by the minute and my brother started talking to friends about nursing home possibilities. So, look what happened: she went there on Monday and four days later, he’s talking about nursing homes.</p>

<p>Well, in truth, I didn’t spend the entire day at the hospital. I also spent some time at the DMV trying to get a tag for handicap. First visit, I was told it would be okay to use her out-of-state license. Next visit, they turned me down but said a passport would suffice. Today, my third visit to get the tag, I was told she needed her birth certificate no matter what. Of course she lost that. So who wants to bet asking the Records Dept in Brooklyn, NY for a document from 1917 won’t take forever? After today, it seemed futile.</p>

<p>Thanks for listening to my rant. Today’s weather was lovely: a sunny 77, but the only chance I had to enjoy it was when I was storming in-and-out of hospitals and the DMV. BB2 still waiting to start.</p>

<p>Limabeans, I’m so sorry to hear about your mom. The hospital is certainly not making things any better! {{hugs}} to you! Hope tomorrow’s a better day!</p>

<p>Good morning all,</p>

<p>Happy Friday…coffee and croissants anyone :p</p>

<p>Finally posted S1 pictures on FB, enjoy.</p>

<p>Cheers :cool:</p>

<p>Limabeans–I’m so sorry to hear about your mother’s decline. Many older people decline functionally just from being in a strange environment. Let’s hope she gets medically better enough that she can get back into a familiar environment.</p>

<p>Regarding the birth certificate–you can request it online. It has been a while, but we got a birth certificate (NYS) online for DsS. We didn’t request expedited service, but it was offered. One site I just looked at had the option to request a birth certificate by fax. Hope that all goes better today. We’re here for you.</p>

<p>good morning all!! ahhhh 2ed…caf</p>

<p>Good morning and TGIF! </p>

<p>lima - I’m so sorry to read about your mom’s relapse and the underwhelming hospital. And the DMV stuff just adds insult to injury. Here’s hopin’ today is better. </p>

<p>Laf - the mental image of your D’s car is priceless. :)</p>

<p>G# - Glad to hear the apartment is coming together!</p>

<p>D really liked Muhlenberg. She ranked it third on her list, behind F&M (no merit) and Bucknell (little merit). Her 4th place school (Gettysburg) has as much - if not more - merit than Muhlenberg. So, I’m finally starting to exhale on her college search. </p>

<p>I just did the count. Between these 2 kids, we have done 33 college visits (and 2 more still to go). There were only 2 repeats. Damn. No wonder I’ve been tired for 2 years. </p>

<p>Have a wonderful Friday.</p>

<p>Lima, adding my prayers for your mother.</p>

<p>lima, sending good vibes to you and your mom. (((hugs)))</p>

<p>DB, that’s a lot of visits! I’m afraid to count ours up. Glad she liked Muhlenberg.</p>

<p>G#, a walk to work is awesome. Hoping they close the deal.</p>

<p>Not much going on here after getting so much done yesterday. Dh has his first official school mtg today so he is focused on that now. I edited a 27-page paper yesterday that he and another educator are submitting for publication. Ds1 and I have figured out the travel plans to go see family this month. Ds2 has a day off today but wants to play tennis at the hottest point of the day. Why?</p>

<p>For the music lovers, GMA has Nicki Minaj (I don’t get her). Today has Maroon 5 (mmmm, Adam Levine).</p>