<p>Lima: So sorry to hear about your mother’s troubles. Hope things improve soon.</p>
<p>Talking about the Beverly Hillbillies. When I graduated from college in 1989, my parents helped me move 2 states away to join my future H at his grad school. Being quite thrifty, my dad borrowed his brother’s horse trailer to haul all my stuff. So every time we stopped, we were asked if people could “pet” the horse. And if that wasn’t ridiculous enough, we missed Hurricane Hugo by 1 day. So no power or functioning gas stations through parts of NC & SC. The horse trailer looked great that weekend in the parking lot of my apartment complex. I was extremely fortunate that my complex was one of the few that had electricity as it was miserably hot, over 100 degrees.</p>
<p>As I was reading about all of the anniversaries, I was thinking “Wow, everyone has been married for a long time.” Then it hit me that in 13 days I will be celebrating our 21st anniversary. My how time flies when you are having fun.</p>
<p>Hope everyone has a great TGIF. I will be leaving work in a couple of hours to pick up D2 and head to the oral surgeon. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly.</p>
<p>Good morning all. Thanks for the coffee and croissants P56. Anyway updates on Lily?</p>
<p>I had so very little sleep last night, but I’m up now. I’m resolved to find the “glass half full” side of situations. I haven’t heard any news of my mother since I left her and I imagine she’s either sleeping or just miserable, but since I’m not in charge of how it’s going there, I have to allow my brother to be the captain of this ship. I have, naturally given up on the handicap tag, but thanks donnagal. </p>
<p>I love the picture of the Beverly Hillbilles you painted Laf.</p>
<p>Good luck to D1 on the move, G#. Stress? That’s the forever gift from kids that just keeps on coming.</p>
<p>Haven’t looked at the pics 2ed, mais I’ll do that next. Merci mon amie.</p>
<p>DB: how is it you already know what kind of merit your daughter will be getting from the colleges before you even apply? I thought the reason why students applied to so many colleges these days was because they didn’t learn the full FA package until after the application was in. I stopped counting the number of college visits for our 3, but it was a lot here too. They were all looking for something a little different.</p>
<p>It’s a comfortable 79 degrees here. Stay cool everyone.</p>
lima, you’re absolutely right. She hasn’t applied anywhere yet. If I could, I would go back and edit my post. “Merit potential” is actually what I meant. :o</p>
<p>good morning Bonnie…hope things are going well for you!</p>
<p>lima…no new news…she wasnt moving her legs yesterday and is still catheterized so no news on bladder yet either… hoping to hear another update today… i hope she is ok…she is such a sweet little dog. and you cant help but love that face!</p>
<p>S2 doesnt appear to have done much to the dorm mountains…but loved being home with him last night…he always makes me laugh…have missed that so much</p>
<p>Lima, I’m thinking of you, your mom, and your whole family. I’m sorry for what you’re going through.</p>
<p>DS COMES HOME TODAY!! It’s been 360 days since he’s been here. I helped my BIL print out DS’s boarding pass over the phone last night. DS said he did badly on the physics final, but I’m sure he passed the class. I’m bouncing off the walls. DH and I are about to go to the beach. I hope it’s warm enough (sorry, YDS, couldn’t resist).</p>
<p>Yum, thanks for the cake. I am leaving for a desperately needed vacation in about 20 hours and cannot wait. Sitting on the porch, reading or staring at the waves is about what I can handle now.</p>
<p>Lima I am so sorry about your Mom. I lived through the hospital nightmare with Mom last week and she is only now recovering from the decline in being in such a foreign environment. Fingers crossed there is stabilization and then improvement.</p>
<p>Sending good wishes to all. See you on the flipside.</p>
<p>Happy Anniversary to Checkers…I guess August in the '80s was a popular time to get married. You can add H and I in the anniversarys for August. Our’s is next Saturday…23 years!</p>
<p>YDS…I know you are a country music lover and a Texas girl…check out Josh Abbott’s song “She’s Like Texas”…one of my new favorites. JC40 and ML…you girls will probably like it too…Josh Abbott went to Texas Tech and plays at the colleges alot…</p>
<p>Hurrah!! Trying very hard to not feel guilty. I am going away for the weekend to our boat on the Chesapeake Bay. I have only been twice this year. Usually we are there every weekend in the summer. A neighbor who has stayed with my mother before will be taking care of her. I’m trying not to worry that it may be more than she can handle. I so NEED some time in the sun and the water with my hubby!
College girl news: tomorrow they will be traveling from China to North Korea by train and will be attending the Arirang Mass Games in Pyongyang tomorrow night. She will be there until next Wednesday and I expect I will be anxious every minute she is there. Funny note: the professors traveling with them advised the students to drink beer instead of water. Unfortunately, dd really dislikes beer!
P56, hoping your sweet Lily is able to be up and about today.
Good weekend to all.</p>
<p>Steamy this morning, but we finally had some rain last night and expecting more today. Most of the grass in my yard is brown and burnt up. That is pretty normal though I guess for August here. About mid September, it’ll be green again. Must say, I’m kind of looking forward to October.</p>
<p>Well, went to the Booster Club meeting last night. Now I’m President. D***n. No one would take it and they’re having trouble getting ‘new’ people to join and were talking about letting it dissolve. My gosh, can’t do that. After all my years of a die hard football mom, gotta have booster club around for D15. I didn’t help with much of anything last year - nice quiet year between senior son and D going into high school. Now that she’s a freshman, it’s time to start up again. Spirit Night is in 2 weeks. :eek: Wish me luck.</p>
<p>I am going to shampoo the livingroom carpet today. I’ve been putting it off due to the humidity (good excuse, huh ?!) but it just cannot wait any longer. I have to appear very clean when our exchange student comes. :D</p>
<p>Speaking of which, found out this morning that she will be a senior. I kind of thought so. I gave her the link to a senior pix website that a couple of the girls used here. She thought they were fabulous. They don’t do the senior stuff in Italy. It’ll be fun.</p>
<p>Back to Sylvan tomorrow for the final session of Test Taking Strategies. We’re getting school supplies for D15 and everything is complete. It is “Tax Free” weekends in Missouri and Iowa. I hate Tax Free weekend. Just saying. The crowds are huge, everything is picked over, and you can never find the right size. That’s why we school clothes shopped a couple weeks ago. I’d love to save the tax, but would rather find the clothes, I guess. How about they just never charge tax ?!</p>
<p>Wow, launching again. This year it just brings a smile to my face. Now I can laugh about the worries and frets of a year ago. </p>
<p>S1 finally declared his date - 8/27. his stated intent is to help move in freshmen. :rolleyes: This year, unlike last, we are dropping him off and heading to the shore to spend a day with a college buddy. I guess I’ll bring the car to a complete stop:D</p>
<p>Nostalgic Moment: DW and I were walking the dog last night, and stopped to chat with our neighbor George, a retired fellow who has always let the kids play ball (generally kick, wiffle, or rundown) in his yard. Combined, his yard and that of our good friends next door have always been the neighborhood playing fields. George commented on how big S2 is getting with his weight lifting for HS football. DW observed that yes, the kids are growing up quickly. he then pointed to a spot in his yard and said, “yep - they don’t play here much anymore - home plate has grown in. That bare spot was there for about 15 years and now it’s gone.” Sure enough, it was. :(</p>
<p>good luck to all the launchers! Have a great weekend.</p>
<p>BonnieNJ, my son threatened North Korea visits thanks to his Tufts class - he doesn’t drink beer either so he has tea everywhere he goes. So far he’s been pretty healthy. It turns out he could have spent the summer with an internship in Baghdad! :eek:</p>
<p>lima - I’m keeping your Mom in my thoughts. I’m so sorry to hear things are not going well at this hospital. When you said the comment about the lost birth certificate I wondered if your Mother and my MIL ever knew one and other back in Brooklyn. My MIL was born at the end of 1916 in Brooklyn. I think my H actually has a copy of her birth certificate.</p>
<p>p56 - thinking about Lily today and hope for some good news soon.</p>
<p>G# - wonderful news on the apartment for D1 and the easy commute. </p>
<p>I can’t believe we are already launching some of our kids off to their sophomore year. Time has really flown by!</p>
<p>I guess August was a popular month for many of us to get married. H and I had a lovely evening last night celebrating our 21 years of marriage!</p>
<p>Woohoo on the walkable apartment G# - may the signing and moving go smoothly!</p>
<p>Lima - so sorry about your Mom - just remember to take time for you!</p>
<p>p56 - my fingers and all paws I can round up are crossed for Lily!</p>
<p>Checkers - I feel for you. I want S to try out crew but I want him to do so without revealing that I am a former rower, a certified ref and a former booster president, LOL - doubt I could hide my experience for long but I am rather liking my hiatus from years upon years of volunteering. We’ll see…</p>
<p>Lima: They always say if you go to the DMV 3 times you will get 3 different answers! Ugh!!</p>
<p>I dropped N1 off at the airport this morning. Now I am down to one (very sweet 14 year old) houseguest. Yesterday I went paddleboarding again. This time with 5 teenagers and 2 other moms. It was very fun until S3 decided to jump from his board to the back of my board, sending it flying in the air and me flying into the bay. Dumb kid.</p>
<p>D1 delivered her bed and a few other things to school. Next trip she will take a dresser and a few more things.</p>