Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>I am going on vacation to Williamsburg, VA next week! Wednesday thru Sunday. Any advise?? </p>

<p>S2 launches on Sept. 3rd!</p>

<p>Hi everyone!</p>

<p>Too many updates, but I’m doing alright. I’ve hit a pretty serious rough patch and so I’ve been seeing a counselor and trying out some anti-depressants. I’ve got a lot of stuff in my past to sift through, and I don’t want to carry that around with me while I’m trying to enjoy college!</p>

<p>I’m really looking forward to my sophomore year. I’m definitely majoring in urban studies, but I am thinking of a minor in either Architectural Design, Political Science, or Education. I don’t know how to choose! I’m considering writing my honors thesis within the realm of “the sociopolitical impact of urban design.” It’ll be hard to find my niche there. If I want to get published in a reputable journal before grad school, I could research exurban America (like, where I grew up) but that would require… fieldwork in exurban America.</p>

<p>Not sure what else to update with.</p>

<p>applicannot</p>

<p>Also, this is what I did this summer. (Well, for the first part of it.)</p>

<p>[High</a> school students defy expectations through Stanford College Prep experience](<a href=“You've requested a page that no longer exists | Stanford News”>You've requested a page that no longer exists | Stanford News)</p>

<p>P.S. - take a close look at who’s quoted</p>

<p>Hey Applicannot!!! I have been wondering about you! Glad to hear you are looking forward to year 2! Good luck!</p>

<p>Hi applicannot! Great to hear from you. :slight_smile: That looks like a great summer program.</p>

<p>Good luck with your sophomore year and choosing a minor.</p>

<p>app, I’ve been thinking of you a lot. I’m so glad you checked in.</p>

<p>Applicannot: So good to hear from you. I think a lot of us here have been thinking of you!</p>

<p>applicannot - It’s so good to hear from you! It sounds like your summer job was wonderful.
Best of luck your sophomore year and please keep in touch.</p>

<p>Cheers to the good news above & :frowning: to the pureed hospital food. Who eats ice cream or jello at room temperature??</p>

<p>And boo on the continued hot weather. Our heat wave is supposed to break next week. So they say. I went to my exercise class this morning after missing a few times due to conflicting rehearsals and, I admit, being in a torpor from the heat. I KNOW the class is in an air conditioned room, but first I have to drag myself there…</p>

<p>We discovered both H and I will be out of town Sunday even. through Tuesday, leaving S on his own. If we leave food for all his meals, and instructions for everything I can think of, do you think the house will be ok when we get back? :smiley: He’s one of those kids you think knows stuff but doesn’t cause he hasn’t paid attention. Then you wonder how he survived to be 19.</p>

<p>Edit: After I posted I saw there were many more posts I hadn’t seen. Yay for launch season, round 2! Here we go again, only with a lot more experience!</p>

<p>G# - walking to work? Do you mean to say your D will not partake in that most American of rituals, The Daily Commute? I often dream about the life I could have if I knocked out the 30 miles each way. DW and I have kicked it around - perhaps when the kids are gone. And ‘DahnTahn’ Pittsburgh is developing as a very livable urban center. </p>

<p>As to the move, I’m certain your Truck is up to the task. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>Checkers: come to PA to shop for school clothes - NO SALES TAX on clothes - EVER!</p>

<p>hello to Applicannot - Good luck with your school year!</p>

<p>Applicannot - very cool program and seeing you in quotes :slight_smile: So glad you checked in!</p>

<p>G# I’m actually bummed you won’t be arriving in the truck - how else will I know when you are in my vicinity? :)</p>

<p>I am so glad it’s Friday - D1 and S came down and surprised me at my office and then went to have lunch, when they are done I am leaving early and getting out of here! Can’t wait!</p>

<p>no sales tax ever on clothes !!! Definitely my kind of place. Both kids get about $400 for back to school plus their supplies - lots of tax savings there ! No tax when Christmas shopping would be fabulous too…wonder if I could suggest that…</p>

<p>mommusic: My S also hasn’t paid attention. I walked through the livingroom last night…told S I was going to the meeting and would be back in about an hour. I ran into him at Dollar General & he said he didn’t know when I’d be home & he was hungry so came after something to make. When I got home, H thought I’d gone to get my haircut. ?! :stuck_out_tongue: Seems they are a lot alike.</p>

<p>Livingroom carpet shampooed and almost dry. Kind of need to do the breakfast room, but decided to bake an apple crisp instead.</p>

<p>S said he would sort through dorm mountain next week and start putting it in the diningroom. He wants to take his golf clubs back and bought a big shelf. He wanted a nice desk chair and I told him to WAIT and buy it there. Don’t know how we’ll get it home, but I know we cannot get it there. We were packed to the roof last year. I am now getting sad about him going back. I’ve really liked having him home this summer.</p>

<p>Applicannot: Nice to hear from you !</p>

<p>Bumping us back up the page…</p>

<p>I just put up a few pictures of space camp and our Gulf Shores vacation on the shutterfly site. Also added a pix of D15 in her cheerleading uniform.</p>

<p>Haven’t read much updates since my last post, but I wanted to share:</p>

<p>**Yeah! Haven’t heard anything about mom’s medical updates, but my brother did share that she was up and reading the NYTimes today. I felt so light hearted when I heard that. Mom’s still coughing with her pneumonia, but she must be feeling better.</p>

<p>Great news! BB2 starts his internship (finally) on Monday.</p>

<p>Welcome back applicannot. Now I’m going on shutterfly.</p>

<p>Glad to see applicannot is still around!</p>

<p>At my internship I was strolling around and found two vintage cameras which I bought. It was stupid for me to do it while I earn $0/hour but they were calling my name. One is a Polaroid which should be functional if I buy some film for it and the other is a Mamiya/Sekor film camera that I think if I put 35MM film it should also function :D</p>

<p>Hope everyone is doing well! My mom leaves tomorrow for her big business trip. She’ll be in South Africa until my cousin and I meet up with her in Heathrow. I am getting excited but some small things have to happen before our trip commences.</p>

<p>Bumping us back up to page 1 - almost couldn’t find us!</p>

<p>I skipped out of work early today to celebrate the rest of my birthday by dragging stuff out of our basement and loading our dumpster. It’s actually rather satisfying even if it’s dirty, hot, and tiring. More tomorrow.</p>

<p>Of course the first order of business for us tomorrow is that we’re parking lot volunteers for the Pan Mass Challenge, and have to be there at 4:30 AM!! For those who don’t know, the PMC is a BIG bicycle ride fundraiser for cancer research at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Some riders start in Sturbridge, but many start in Wellesley, which is where we will be stationed. They ride to Bourne on the first day, and on to Provincetown on the second day. All four of us have volunteered for the early shift tomorrow; H and I agreed to take another shift on Sunday morning (but not till 5 AM) because they were short handed. In between, we need to finish filling the dumpster and organizing the stuff we want to keep, so that Monday or Tuesday we can replace the dumpster with a storage pod and start putting in the “keep” stuff. Wednesday the demolition guys arrive to tear down the crazy rabbit warren of walls in our basement, and next Monday the french drain folks will come do their work. It will feel so good when this is done.</p>

<p>Lima - glad your mom seems to be doing better.</p>

<p>p56 - hope you’re feeling better by now.</p>

<p>~~ waving to applicannot. Thanks for checking in with us. It’s great to hear what you’re up to. Good luck dealing with the stuff that’s getting you down - it is great that you are getting help with that. And it’s nice to hear that you’re closing in on a major and looking forward to your second year.</p>

<p>There, that should bump us back up to the top.</p>

<p>Delayed in ATL again… Waving belatedly to RobD.</p>

<p>Say it ain’t so… launch time already? </p>

<p>Lima – Glad I could bring a tiny bit of relief to an otherwise lousy day. I sure hope that things continue to improve with your mother. You need a break. Be sure to take care of yourself too.</p>

<p>BonnieNJ – You need and deserve the “me” and “us” time. The Arirang Games should be quite a spectacle.</p>

<p>Somewhereinga – I occasionally threaten to bring D2 back to school in my ratty pickup truck. She’d be hoping for a horse trailer. Truthfully, it probably would not make it. ;)</p>

<p>IL – There you go makin’ people cry again. ;)</p>

<p>Applicannot – always good to hear from you!</p>

<p>ShillyShally – I’ll be the lost redneck in a GWAR t-shirt and P-Funk hat wondering, “How did I ever live here?” ;)</p>

<p>Re: Texas Music – My contribution.
[‪There</a> are no Saguaros in Texas‬‏ - YouTube](<a href=“There are no Saguaros in Texas - YouTube”>There are no Saguaros in Texas - YouTube)</p>

<p>Still awaiting final apartment info from D1, ergh!</p>

<p>Sewemma – Williamsburg
Note: these are not necessarily the official Chamber of Commerce descriptions.</p>

<p>To-do
• Historical Tours – get a Patriot’s Pass and see all the historical stuff with the other tourists. How do you look in a Felicity dress? :wink:
• Jamestown – the first permanent settlement in America. Now with electricity. :wink:
• Yorktown – also has a small beach where G# and GF (future DW) used to hang out. The drive along the Colonial Parkway is quite nice.
• W&M – Walk around the college that produced G#, if you dare. :wink: You could even visit the Wren Chapel where a certain G# was married to his DW. They used to have organ recitals there on Saturdays too.
• See Dean Shostak play the glass harmonica. (Note: I am friends with Dean’s brother and spent many days at the Shostak home as a child)
• Duke of Gloucester (DOG) Street – Shops, college bookstore (in B&N), restaurants, tri-cornered hats, etc.
• Busch Gardens – Amusement Park, lots of rolly coasters, pukin’, and “Mom, I’m hungry!” I actually really like BG.
• Water Country USA – water park. Literally tons of half-naked, well-oiled, and sweaty people. It is not as exciting as it sounds as most of them have crying children in tow. :wink:
• Williamsburg Prime Outlets / Pottery Factory – Just shopping, yuk! :wink:
• Scotland Ferry – a nice ride across the James River where people used to swim and fish in carcinogens… Kepone (20 mins.). It now really is a nice ride since the clean up of the river. You could stop at the Surrey House for lunch and even go further to tour Bacon’s Castle or down to Smithfield.
• Plantations – e.g. Shirley Plantation.</p>

<p>To-Do in the area, driving distance
• Mariner’s Museum – Newport News
• War Memorial Museum – Newport News (1 hr.)
• Living Museum – Newport News (1. hr)
• Air & Space Center / IMAX – Hampton (G#’s father helped open it). (1 ¼ hr)
• Nauticus – Norfolk (1 ½ hr.)
• Virginia Beach - A big ole beach covered with hot, sweaty people. Like Water Country, only with sand. :wink: (1 ½ hr+).
• Richmond – Civil War stuff, including the Museum of the Confederacy / Confederate White House (which reminds me that I told D2 that I would take her this summer!!!) (1 hr.)
• Petersburg – More Civil War, inc. The Crater battlefield. (1 ½ hr.)</p>

<p>To-Stay
Williamsburg has all the standard chain hotels or you could go with The Williamsburg Inn, Lodge, or even stay in one of the houses on Duke of Gloucester (DOG) street. The Williamsburg Woodland Hotel and Suites as wells as the Hospitality House are also nice and easier on the wallet.</p>

<p>To Eat
• Fat Canary – Fine dining.
• The Trellis – Death by Chocolate, need I say more?
• Le Yaca – French. After the French saved our butt at Yorktown, they opened a restaurant in Williamsburg. :wink:
• The Cheese Shop – great for lunch! The Powers family also owns the Fat Canary.
• Pierce’s BBQ – You haven’t been to Williamsburg ‘til you’ve been to Pierce’s… very unfancy and a little out of the way.
• Green Leafe – Decent bar food. Decent $. Pretend to be a W&M student.
• Colonial Taverns – You go to them to say that you did the touristy thing… not the food which is usually pricey and less than stellar.
• Newab – Good Indian. Good price.
• Mongolian Grill – Chinese / Mongolian BBQ. Good selection. Eat Chinese, Mongolian, Japanese, and Korean ‘til you burst.
• Captain George’s – Huge seafood buffet. Decent quality. Another chance to burst.
• Sal’s – Good, unfancy Italian.
• Pancake Houses – I have no idea why, but there are a zillion in Williamsburg.
• Richmond Road has all the standard chains and fast food places.</p>

<p>Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.</p>

<p>sewemma, G# left out something important - wave at my BIL, SIL and 2 nephews! They will be in Williamsburg at the same time as you.</p>

<p>~~ waving at applicannot ~~ of course you were doing something worthwhile and amazing all summer. Helping others and building your resume too. We expect nothing less! :slight_smile: Hope your rough patch smoothes itself out. You’re right to deal with the baggage from your past now, rather than letting it drag you down in the future.</p>

<p>lima, so sorry to hear about your mom but glad to hear she seems better today.</p>

<p>Both kids will be home this weekend! Plus my in-laws will be here. I will be a happy camper tomorrow night. It’s a good thing, because I had a stressful week at work and I don’t see it getting any better any time soon. Crazy time of year. I was in an off-site training class today and missed half the info because I kept checking my work email and trying to respond. Right now I’m fighting the urge to look at my email and do some work to make Monday morning easier. It’s Friday night and I’m watching the Sox/Yankees game! I should NOT be doing work, or even thinking about work! Right?</p>

<p>G#…Your central/eastern VA travel guide is spot-on, but I would add one thing to your Richmond list: St. John’s Church, where Patrick Henry gave his famous “Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death” speech. If you go, request the full re-enactment. Every year when I take my students and parents to DC and VA, this is one of the highlights of the trip. You have patriots and loyalists arguing about declaring independence. We go in the cool autumn evening, and the presentation is gripping. </p>

<p>Of course, if you’re willing to drive another hour west, you can visit Jefferson’s plantation (and grave), Monticello; Monroe’s estate, Ashlawn Highland; and of course, the first public school in America, founded by Jefferson and what he considered to be his greatest achievement, UVa. :slight_smile: (No bias here – also has some really sweet, smart, cute cheerleaders or so I’ve heard :wink: ) If you get to Charlottesville, note that they have more restaurants per capita than NYC. I love the historical Michie’s Tavern and Museum where you can get a buffet of fried chicken, stewed tomatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, cole slaw, cobbler, and the coldest iced tea south of the Mason Dixon! Yum!</p>

<p>good to see applicannot…despite the rough spot it seems you have yet again been applicando!</p>

<p>S2 woke up about 2 pm… S1 Lily update…still not able to use legs :frowning: … but vet still seems to think she might…he had expected it yesterday, S1 drove 2 hours today to take her her toy and blanket…but wasnt sure they would let him see her…want her to stay quiet,</p>