<p>Good lovely morning from the East Coast! It’s not gonna be one of those dreaded 90-100 degree days, thank goodness.</p>
<p>And right back at you kindredspirit with a shout out! Also waving somewhat frantically at BT!
kindrespirit, I’m sure your D will be delighted to be home after a summer with pre-teens and their drama. ;)</p>
<p>lima-great to hear the good news about your mom! I hope she keeps going strong!</p>
<p>ProudNJmom-glad you enjoyed the Big Apple. Isn’t it interesting that those who live close often doing take advantage of the touristy things??</p>
<p>mdemvizi-the Container Store is addictive! Step away from the organizers!</p>
<p>I am getting the last of my wandering boys, S2, home tomorrow from Boston. I’m going to drive up there in the a.m., help him pack up and get out of there. He actually had a rather unpleasant living experience in this sublet for the past month with a couple of the girls he was sharing an apartment with. It turns out that in some cases girls are much bigger slobs, thoughtless, irresponsible than boys. Imagine that. :rolleyes: You REALLY don’t want to know the details.</p>
<p>S1 flew in from Chicago late on Tuesday night. Southwest is a terrific airline if you can take advantage of it where you live. All three NY metro airports had terrible weather that night which resulted in significant delays. His plane, which was supposed to arrive at 11:25 p.m., was pushed back to arrive at 2:30 a.m. :eek:, but he was able to switch to a different airport/flight with no fee involved and arrived around midnight.</p>
<p>We will all be together for 2 weeks and then S2 heads back to school. I am hoping for two weeks of peace, harmony and no snarkiness. I know, I know, it’s a lot to hope for.</p>
<p>Good morning and TGIF! Many thanks to the great recappers. </p>
<p>Can I vent?<br>
My dear, wonderful, generous grandmother (Mimi) established 529 funds for each of her 7 great-grandchildren. This semester is the first time we need to use some of the money. The semester payment deadline was Aug 1. Here’s the timeline of where we stand in getting $ to Wake:
July 5 - request paperwork from Mimi’s financial manager
July 13 - Mimi authorizes the payment
July 14 - financial manager submits paperwork to Black Rock for payment to Wake
July 15 - Black Rock cuts check #1 and mails it usps to Wake’s bank. No EFT available! This is where all students send payment via check. It’s in Charlotte, at the bank’s processing center, but nowhere near campus.
Aug 1 - No sign of payment on Son’s account.
Aug 2 - financial manager stops payment on check #1. Black Rock cuts check #2 and resends, via US mail.
Aug 9 - financial manager follows up and learns that Black Rock used the wrong mailing address. Stop payment again. Issue check #3. Send via FedEx.
Aug 10 - FedEx delivery confirmation complete. The check should have been deposited on Wed and credited on Thurs.<br>
Aug 12 - This is Friday and there’s no sign of the credit on Son’s account. </p>
<p>I’m fit to be tied. We are now 12 days late! Thank goodness Wake is cooperative and understanding when I tell them about this debacle. But, c’mon. 3 checks?? Pretty soon they might think I’m telling stories. :rolleyes: </p>
<p>TGIF iPeeps! Thanks to KS & mom3sons for great recaps.
So true! We don’t take advantage of all the things WashDC has to offer. Shame on us! Good for ProudNJ taking advantage of the Big Apple!</p>
<p>lima: I’m so glad to hear good news about your mother & BB2’s internship! Maybe GSharp’s cherubs did their job. As KS said, “Rock that halo!”</p>
<p>Checkers: you really have the revolving door, welcoming an exchange student & launching your DS in the same weekend! Good luck for a smooth transition!</p>
<p>austinmtmom: have a safe road trip!</p>
<p>DB: sorry to hear about the check debacle. There should be a tracking number for FedEx & a signature from someone who received the check, so there will be proof of check #3. Is it too early to send you a margarita?</p>
<p>Sending good wishes to those welcoming travelers back home, those heading out on vacation, and those launching students back to COLLEGE!</p>
<p>ok yds…you get another one…enjoying zac brown!!! think i’ll add knee deep to my bucket list…cottage on puget sound listening to knee deep (my own kind of paradise)</p>
<p>momof3: ~waving!!~ Glad to hear that S1 made it home safely and not in the wee-wee hours. Sorry to hear about S2’s apartment living issues. Girls! Enjoy your time with all your men the next two weeks. Here’s hoping for “good times.” :)</p>
<p>And yes, I think D will be happy to be home. She had a great summer as a counselor, with added cherished memories at the sleepaway camp she attended for many years when younger, at her “home away from home.” She’s loved it, but been exhausted with some dificult ten-year olds to handle. When I spoke to her yesterday and asked if she was packed (with her trunks scheduled to be picked up imminently), she sighed, “When would I have time to pack?, I have eight girls to take care of!” She sounded like the “old woman who lived in a shoe!” Probably appropriate for her. She’s also enjoyed some R and R with her friends on days off exploring the beautiful Maine coast in ML’s territory. All in all, a wonderful and rewarding experience.</p>
<p>Hey austin!: Thanks! As I said above, D loved her summer at camp. Wishing you safe travels on your road trip too. And good luck with the packing…And most of all, sending wishes to your talented and sweet D for another amazing year at Coastal Carolina. </p>
<p>DB: Sorry to hear about the check issues. I’d be frustrated too! Glad that Wake is being understanding about it and hope it’s resolved asap.</p>
<p>SLUMOM: Happy 30th Anniversary to you and your H. Wishing you a wonderful celebration and many more wonderful years together.</p>
<p>My favorite song of theirs is “Chicken Fried,” the first one they sang. It’s just so catchy that even my 16yo will belt it out in the car. And then it slows and gets all patriotic. I’m such a sucker for that kind of stuff, lol.</p>
<p>Oh, and the TV is HUGE and HULKING. The friend who gave it to us thought it weightd 300 pounds!! It took all four of us to get it onto the entertainment center.</p>
<p>DB: that’s so odd about the 529. When we had to make a withdrawal from D1’s account, they had to send the funds to us first which they did electronically and then we paid the school directly (also electronically.) There was no option for it to go directly from the 529 to the school. I thought they all worked the same.</p>
<p>ETA: That is so incredibly thoughtful and generous of your Mimi. I tried telling family members for years that bonds or something like that would be much better long term for the girls than the 20 tschotske gifts they would get on Christmas & birthdays but I was told “then they won’t have anything to open!”</p>
<p>Good luck to all the launchers! D doesn’t go back until 9/4 and I’m really going to miss her :(</p>
<p>I’ve been dealing with a number of high school issues. S is a rising Senior. The school is changing their scheduling this year which cuts the AP class time by 33% and drops the credits for each AP class. So they have to do more work on their own AND take more classes. If that’s not enough they also “realigned” the guidance counselors so that some of the Seniors (including S) now have a different counselor. I’ve been trying to explain to them that entering the college app process is NOT the best time to change counselors :mad:</p>
<p>And to make today even better – I’ve joined the dead critter in the wall club :rolleyes:</p>
<p>Happy Friday - Hope everyone enjoys their weekend :)</p>
<p>TGIF everyone! Looking forward to a short day today. A friend of ours gave us 4 free tickets to Sea World that have to be used today. So H, D2, a friend of D2’s and I will be going there late this afternoon and staying into the evening. We haven’t been to Sea World in several years, but had season passes for many years when the girls were younger.</p>
<p>slumom - happy anniversary to you and your H. 30 years is a wonderful milestone!</p>
<p>Good luck to all those launching soon. Safe travels to austin and her D as they head back to South Carolina.</p>
<p>ks - I’m glad you get a bit of time with your D after her camp job and before she goes back to school. I pick up D from her camp counselor job in 12 days and we only have her for a week before she heads back to NYC. D has enjoyed her time in the mountains, but told me yesterday she is ready to be back in the city. This session she has 12 year old girls and they are not as needy as the group she had during the last two week session so she gets lots of free time. When we visited D last Saturday she looked terrific. She has been able to dance and run several days a week and is very fit. </p>
<p>DB - Sorry to hear about all the problems with the 529. It’s hard to believe that a check has to be mailed instead of doing a wire transfer.</p>
<p>Wanted to pop in and say that yesterday’s launching went really well. Yay!! And the dorm mountain at home has mostly disappeared. Now I can vacuum up all the dust bunnies that were buried in her room.</p>
<p>D1 loves her new dorm and says her roommate is nice. I think she will enjoy a smaller dorm (900 all girls vs 150 person co ed dorm). The building is one of the older ones. Her door is a real wood, solid door. The ceilings in her room are high. Even with her bed lofted, she had to get on her knees and completely outstretch her arms to put her glow in the dark stars on the ceiling.</p>
<p>The house is definitely a little emptier without her there. </p>
<p>YDS - we had a TV like that once - I took it through one move and then sold it when we moved again and was lucky to sell when I did since that was when the price of true flat screens was coming down. I love the members but don’t plan on rejoining that club :)</p>
<p>Weather here is great - and it’s Friday!! Hope everyone has a great weekend! Can’t believe we are now down to a week before D1 goes back, now of course is when I feel like we have so much we should still do and no time to do it!</p>
<p>Good Morning! Happy Friday!! Day 5 for us in Lake Tahoe. The weather has been gorgeous and we are having a great time! I got a report from home that Henry ate my box of checks. I guess he thinks I should be online banking.</p>
<p>Leaving office a bit early today - picking up a Dunk Tank for the block party. We’re calling it “Dunk a Drunk” . DW has already warned me not to be the star attraction. Who, me?? :D</p>
<p>Hi All TGIF and smooth launchings to those on their way. Looks to be a nice weekend. Speaking of NYC DD & BF visiting from Delaware are there today, going to see Chicago. The City is nice in the summer, quieter and always things to see & do.
We are heading upstate NY for county fair week on Sunday so I hope the weather stays nice.</p>