<p>Hi Donnagal, I go via Rt 17 to Walton/ Oneonta area so won’t be by Albany although my niece is coming from visiting in Albany. Looking forward to being “up” state with all the nice trees, mountains (hills?) and clear night sky.</p>
<p>Good weekend to all. Hope all of the return launches go well.
I have heard very little from dd2 since her arrival in Seoul. I had one quick text that she was running from meeting to meeting and that she had so much to tell but no time to tell. That was followed by a brief email telling me they had met with the PR director at the Unification Ministry and were also going to meet with representatives from the Republic of China, ROC, aka Taiwan. She said North Korea was very interesting (no, duh) and that they obviously wanted the students to be happy and impressed. I have been really impressed by the meetings that her professors have been able to put together. She will return next Tuesday. Can not wait to hear all. Thankfully, one of the course requirements was to keep a journal so at least I have a chance of hearing the events that made it to the journal!
Lima, so glad you mom is doing better. My mom is doing okay but is eating very little - probably not even a 1000 calories a day. She has just finished another round of antibiotics so I’m hoping that her appetite will kick in soon.</p>
<p>Bonnie - I second your good weekend wishes. :)</p>
<p>Sorry to hear that your mom isn’t eating much. Is she getting any nourishment intravenously? Less than 100 calories can’t be enough.</p>
<p>KS - enjoy your time with your D. I’m sure she loved her time in Maine, but will happy to be home with you and your DH.</p>
<p>GSharp - yay for the apartment being a reality! Good luck with the move-in and best of luck to your D. Her first real apartment - very exciting!</p>
<p>PNJ - glad you and your S had a good time in NYC. </p>
<p>Uh oh, D just told me she wants to go shopping tomorrow morning. :eek: She has done a LOT of shopping this summer. I wish that she’d remember that she’s moving into a room with a much smaller closet than she’s used to having.</p>
<p>GSharp: Congrats to D1 on the apartment! :D</p>
<p>KS: Sounds like your D had fun, but will be happy to be home. Have fun tomorrow! Enjoy your weekend! :)</p>
<p>Momof3: Sorry about the apartment situation with your S. Sounds like he’ll be all packed and ready for you. Have fun with everyone home. :)</p>
<p>DB: Sorry about the check problem. I hope everything has been resolved by the time you are reading this.</p>
<p>Momof2: HS issues and a dead critter. :eek:</p>
<p>YDS: You should have calledGSHARP MOVING COMPANY. I hear he has great rates and gives discounts for very LARGE TVs!!! ;)</p>
<p>Happy Anniversary to Mr. and Mrs. SLUMOM! :)</p>
<p>IL: The block party sounds like fun! Let us know if you got dunked!! :D</p>
<p>Bonnie: I’m sure your D is going to have some amazing stories when she gets back. What a wonderful experience for her. Still sending good thoughts for your Mom.</p>
<p>Tx5: Glad you are enjoying vacation. I think that Henry is mad that you didn’t take him too!! </p>
<p>Not much going on here. The air was not working today at work so I was not a happy camper.
The repairman showed up at 4:00 when I was walking out the door, luckily one of my coworkers said he would stay. My boss was playing golf AGAIN!! Hopefully it will be repaired when I go in on Monday.</p>
<p>Hi everyone. I’m back from Alaska which was AMAZING. I’ve learned so much about myself after spending the majority of my summer with 10 seven year olds. I have a new found appreciation for my mother :)</p>
<p>So, some news from my home front, one good, one bad. On the bad side, my dad lost his job, BUT, he met with a specialist who’s agreed to do his colostomy reversal. The surgery will be in January and we are very excited!</p>
<p>I hope to be back on the boards more frequently!</p>
<p>DB, who required the actual paper check - Black Rock, or Wake? Our 529 (Fidelity) used to send us the money via EFT, then I would write a check to send to S’s college, or E-Check the money to D’s college. But Fidelity just added a “bill-payer” option. I filled it out in advance and on the appointed day they mailed a check to the college’s Lock Box company. It took well over a week for it to get posted, though.</p>
<p>Our church has a big feast weekend at this time every year. Lots of food booths, rides, and games. H, D and I worked at a food booth tonight. As usual, H got stuck manning the grill, and D was taking orders and handling the money. Some guy tried to pick her up! I overheard him chatting her up, telling her she looked really familiar and he was sure he knew her from somewhere, then asking what time she would be finished and if she’d like to go grab a bite somewhere… she told him thanks but she was working till midnight and she has a BF. (We worked till 9 and the fair closes at 11
And no, she had never seen him before in her life).</p>
<p>Welcome back R6L! Were those 7 year olds from Alaska? I can’t imagine sending a 7 year old that far away! </p>
<p>Bonnie, I bet your daughter will have some amazing stories. Hopefully she’ll let you read her journal.</p>
<p>Welcome back R6L! I am glad you enjoyed Alaska. When I went on a cruise a couple years ago I could barely deal with it for 7 days. Glad your father will be able to get his surgery but sorry about his job.</p>
<p>Went to see one of my friends from high school be the lead in West Side Story. He’s a year younger and is heading to college next weekend which makes me sad. He’s always been a really good friend of mine since 7th grade and I am scared that I’ll lose touch with him. Thank God for Facebook.</p>
<p>Tomorrow is our friend’s annual back-to-school picnic. Usually I am excited to go but I am feeling that this will be my last time attending. A lot of my friends who usually attend have already moved it so it will be a small group. It will be fun anyway :)</p>
<p>Good morning, all! Coffee and bagels are ready. Lox, too! Help yourself when you get up.</p>
<p>DsS turned in his portfolio for his Creative Writing class yesterday. He feels good about the course. Thinks he’ll get an A. He has had no interim grades on anything in this class. Nada. DH & I have discussed how that would be a stressor for us, if we were in a class and didn’t know how we were doing along the way. The only thing DsS knows is that 10% of the grade was attendance. He didn’t miss any classes, so he has a 10% before adding on the professor’s assessment otherwise. I’m not quite sure what the other criteria are. Writing quality? Effort? Willingness to take criticism by his peers and the professor to rework his writing? Insight as he critiqued other student’s writing.</p>
<p>Has anybody taught such a course? How do they grade such a course?</p>
<p>His grade gets posted next Wednesday at noon.</p>
<p>Have a great day, everyone.</p>
<p>good morning all, thanks for the coffee and bagels donna!!</p>
<p>good to see you back rocket!!!</p>
<p>JC40’s D; prayinglady’s D – 8/6
Parent56’s S; SWTCAT’s D – 8/10
somewhereinga D…8/11</p>
<p>)xoxoxoxox>CheckersMidwest’ S – 8/14
Tx5’s D—8/15
BUandBC’s S, austinmtmom’s D - 8/17
Lafalum84’s D – 8/18
2education’s S1 --8/19
MaineLonghorn’s S, Twinmama D2, Shillyshally’s D, Brooklynborndad’s D – 8/20
RobD’s D; AL34’s S – 8/21
Limabeans’s BB3 – 8/22
Twinmama D1-- 8/23
LIMOMOF2’s D – 8/24
BonnieNewJersey D- 8/25
CaliforniaDancer – 8/26
Coskat’s D-- 8/27
mdemvizi, PinotNoir’s S, coloradomom’s S – 8/27
DougBetsy’s S – 8/28
SLUMOM’s S – 8/28
zoosermom’s D2 – 8/28
jbehlend’s S , donnagal’s S-- 8/29
psychmom’s D – 8/30
showmom858 D --8/31
sewemma’s S – 9/3
Yds’ ds – 9/4 (we leave the day before)
CountingDown’s S2, Mathmom’s S2, momof2inma’s D – 9/4
jackief’s D – 9/6
pugmadkate’s S – 9/7
aliceinw’s S – 9/9
ProudNJMom’s S; G#’s D2 – 9/10
Tx5’s S – 9/14
limabeans BB2; FindAPlace’s S – 9/18
2leashes’ D --9/19
psychmomma’s S – 9/20
mommusic’s S – 9/21
esobay’s S – 9/22</p>
<p>donna…hope he gets an A…i would hate not having any idea of a grade throughout a course!</p>
<p>My son took a jewelry making course just like that. He thought he was on track for some sort of an A, having he thought done everything. He got a B-. Needless to say he was not a happy camper.</p>
<p>Good morning. :)</p>
<p>Thanks for the coffee, lox, and bagels. </p>
<p>Great recap, ProudNJ. Thanks!</p>
<p>Have a great Saturday, everyone!</p>
<p>mathmom–I dropped one course in college–ceramics. I did fine making slab built pots. I did fine making a coil built pot. When it came to making thrown pots, all I got off of the potter’s wheel was slip! </p>
<p>I don’t remember if I ever got a grade on any of my efforts before I dropped the course, but I knew I didn’t want to wreck my perfectly good GPA over my inability to use a potter’s wheel.</p>
<p>We have all had tons and tons of family visitng these past few days. Whoa. Once the word got out that mom wasn’t well (again), seems like everyone made plans to visit. It’s exhausting to have so much family here, entertain so many, feed so many, talk until very late. All along, mom’s health sputters along. Bonnie, for awhile, mom was on all sorts of different anitbiotics. They upset her digestion and she felt miserable. Everyone has commented that mom’s hearing and voice are all significantly quieter, especially since just two weeks ago. Not sure how that happened, but what a decline! Fortunately she’s all done with the antibiotics (and my brother’s overdoing care) and I hoping things go back to where they were. Appetite, hearing, energy level, interest in politics all dropped. The question will be, what next? One sib worried that if we baby her too much (especially how my brother tried to help), she’s headed right to a nursing home while others say that’s a terrible option. I know my mom strongly objects to that option, but the way she’s been needing to be pampered, that’s where she’s headed. I’m hoping to change some of that, partly b/c I have too many other issues I’m dealing with (BB1). Better already. GS, that halo really belongs on my DH.</p>
<p>Welcome back r6l. We missed you.
mdemvizi, that’s how I feel too. Kinda sad, but I gotta look forward.
Laf, sounds like fun. Wish we had that kind of annual festivity. Brings the whole community together. I’ve never been to the Ohio State Fair, but sounds like a celebration of the good old times.
donnagal, hummm. Sure it’s not P/F? That’s pretty hard to take a subjective class like Creative Writing and not get progress reports of any kind.
Thanks for the recaps ProudNJ.</p>
<p>Happy Saturday y’all. Gorgeous weather and end-of-summer feel here.</p>
<p>Lima - I say you and your DH should have twin halos ;)</p>
<p>Hey,</p>
<p>It’s been forever since I posted… First year of grad school wrapped up at the end of August (we’re required to take summer courses), and I’m now home on “vacation” (a working vacation, but this is academia, so it’s expected.
). I’m up to 5 peer-reviewed publications, a couple more under review, and a few we are hoping to submit this month (plus a book chapter). Very busy but happy to building my vita! :)</p>
<p>limabeans–Absolutely sure it is not P/F. This was a writing intensive upper college level course-English 302W. Who knows if his plans will change regarding minors, but right now English is a minor for him. I guess DH & I have lots of company on feeling queasy about a course with no grades along the way to let us know if we are on the track we want to take, or if we need to adjust something.</p>
<p>colorado_mom, I don’t want to give G# any ideas; I already feeling unworthy of all this attention.</p>
<p>Good morning! We are still in Lake Tahoe. The rest of the extended family arrived today, we were a party of 12 and now are a party of 20! It is a lot of fun to see my cousins and their kids, but it is also quite chaotic.</p>
<p>waving at psych!!! good to see you and congrats on the publications!!!</p>
<p>so colorado is it deja vu…or easier?</p>
<p>well i just spent about $20 on itunes… watched pirate rock movie and all those songs brought back memories!!!</p>
<p>Trying to figure out son’s acct… they did a new thing this year…if getting a refund, they put up to 500 into blazer bucks so that you could buy books before financial aid posts…S2 was supposed to opt out so the full refund goes to his bank acct. looks like he didnt…hope he didnt already buy his books or he has 500 in an account that he will feel compelled to spend at eateries!! alot of restaurants near campus take blazer bucks as payment.</p>
<p>^ </p>
<p>Thanks!
</p>
<p>And I obviously meant “beginning of August” in my post. D’oh!</p>