Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Hi psych! Congratulations - 5 peer reviewed publications AND post # 26000 on this thread. Two reasons to be proud. ;)</p>

<p>I’m doing better with this separation thing. Today I was in the grocery store, and realizing that we’re leaving on Thursday to take D back to campus I thought, “This is the last time I’ll be buying Cool Mint Oreos for a while.” But I didn’t think it with a <em>pang</em> or sadness… it was just a fact. Actually a slight sense of relief, because I find them hard to resist!</p>

<p>Just got back from our two week vacation. Oh my. Do you all take two weeks off at one time? I do NOT want to go back to work on Monday! Perhaps I became a little too used to walking on the beach and floating in the pool. </p>

<p>So many pages to read to catch back up.</p>

<p>Sent in tuition today. Major ouch.</p>

<p>Happy mid-August to you all! </p>

<p>Younger kids start school this Thursday. D is a HS senior - so application season begins again…</p>

<p>Bumping us to the first page! Hope everyone had a great Saturday. Will go back and catch up later.</p>

<p>Psych, congratulations! It’s great to see you.</p>

<p>I have sort of come to realize that I am ready to leave this little suburb that I am in. This evening was our friend’s annual back-to-school picnic that we’ve been attending for more years than I can remember. Over the years the number of people I knew has sort of dwindled and it is filled with more of my friend’s little sisters’ friends. They are all sophomores/juniors in high school sort of having the best time of their life. Of what I call my ‘friend group’ that has been together since first grade we had three people out of the usual 7. It was my friend who was hosting the party and another friend. I am realizing that I don’t really fit in with them anymore. </p>

<p>One is going to the best middle school English teacher in the world while the other dropped out of her college and heading toward working at Pizza Hut and going to community college. I don’t think the one has matured as much because she makes these remarks like ‘I never pay attention to you the four of five times I see you.’ Comments like those make me to never want to have to interact with her. I do it as a common courtesy but it is hard event after event.I told them that my plans for next summer and beyond were to get the **** out of Frederick. I don’t want to live here anymore. I struggled to find a job this summer and find an internship. I can’t be a TV-R major in Frederick. I just can’t do this. </p>

<p>Sorry to be a downer. I’ll be happier tomorrow hopefully. I’ve got three days until I head to London and then two weeks until I will be in Ithaca. I know a lot of you are struggling with watching your kids grow up so this little commentary probably doesn’t help - at all.</p>

<p>/a rant brought to you by mdemvizi thanks to a crappy picnic</p>

<p>mdemvizi–Good morning. Nice rant. You know that you are safe here. Just so you know, I think that what you are feeling is normal. My DsS in creative writing wrote one of his pieces this summer about meeting an old friend at college. Seems the more they talked the more he realized how they had grown in different directions so much that they no longer had anything in common, except geographically.</p>

<p>Sounds similar to your enlightenment–and you plan to change your geographic location. Best wishes in your upcoming trip to London, then back to college.</p>

<p>good morning all!! coffee is ready… mdem i agree with donnagal…my sons have noticed that they have less and less in common with the kids they knew in hs. S1 maintains contact with one, and S2 (away during hs too) keeps in touch with about 3-4.</p>

<p>JC40’s D; prayinglady’s D – 8/6
Parent56’s S; SWTCAT’s D – 8/10
somewhereinga D…8/11</p>

<p>)xoxoxoxox>CheckersMidwest’ S – 8/14
Tx5’s D—8/15
BUandBC’s S, austinmtmom’s D - 8/17
Lafalum84’s D – 8/18
2education’s S1 --8/19
MaineLonghorn’s S, Twinmama D2, Shillyshally’s D, Brooklynborndad’s D – 8/20
RobD’s D; AL34’s S – 8/21
Limabeans’s BB3 – 8/22
Twinmama D1-- 8/23
LIMOMOF2’s D – 8/24
BonnieNewJersey D- 8/25
CaliforniaDancer – 8/26
Coskat’s D-- 8/27
mdemvizi, PinotNoir’s S, coloradomom’s S – 8/27
DougBetsy’s S – 8/28
SLUMOM’s S – 8/28
zoosermom’s D2 – 8/28
jbehlend’s S , donnagal’s S-- 8/29
psychmom’s D – 8/30
showmom858 D --8/31
sewemma’s S – 9/3
Yds’ ds – 9/4 (we leave the day before)
CountingDown’s S2, Mathmom’s S2, momof2inma’s D – 9/4
jackief’s D – 9/6
pugmadkate’s S – 9/7
aliceinw’s S – 9/9
ProudNJMom’s S; G#’s D2 – 9/10
Tx5’s S – 9/14
limabeans BB2; FindAPlace’s S – 9/18
2leashes’ D --9/19
psychmomma’s S – 9/20
mommusic’s S – 9/21
esobay’s S – 9/22</p>

<p>Good morning and Happy Sunday to all. </p>

<p>Rain is coming down like crazy here, and it’s supposed to continue through Tuesday. Ugh. </p>

<p>Best wishes to the new launchees. I’m still amazed at how early some of the kids have to return to school! </p>

<p>mdemvizi - sorry to hear about yesterday’s not-so-fun picnic. Feel free to rant away! Nice that you have London and your return to Ithaca to look forward to. :)</p>

<p>psych - a big congrats to you! </p>

<p>I’m planning to take D shopping a little later today. Not sure for what, exactly, but I’m willing. :)</p>

<p>good morning! Problem with my coffee maker this morning, so I’ll have to imbibe in p56’s. I think some of the coffee got outside the filter and clogged up the works.</p>

<p>D1 is coming home today from her summer job for some appts tomorrow, then she, me, and D2 are headed to the cape for 2 weeks vacation. Will have company for most of the time, but it will be fun. Just picked a load of stuff from the garden, think I should do something with it today as I have more small kitchen appliances here than there…</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>

You win the Big TV contest!</p>

<p>KS: I hope you had a wonderful homecoming with your DD this weekend.</p>

<p>Wishing BU&BC (& any other teachers) a wonderful first day of school tomorrow!</p>

<p>RobD: Did the chicken tortilla soup cure whatever was ailing you? </p>

<p>IL: Inquiring minds want to know if you got dunked? </p>

<p>Checkers: we need an update on your exchange student!</p>

<p>Happy Anniversary to SLUMOM!</p>

<p>BonnieNJ: Your DD’s trip to N&S Korea sounds like it was extremely well-organized. I’m impressed that she was required to keep a journal. Not only will you get wonderful stories, but she will be able to read it years from now & recall details of that trip. I hope your mother’s appetite has improved. And it sounds like things have settled down in London for your D1 & granddaughter. Above all, I wish you some peace after this long hard summer.</p>

<p>

Aww lima, you’ve got so much on your plate right now with your mother & Beanies #1, 2, & 3. Please know that there is a lot of good will headed your way. I think someone on this thread once posted, “On CC, here’s a hug that is as big & wide as this country.” I’m wishing you peace also.</p>

<p>R6L: welcome back from Alaska! Sorry to hear about your father losing his job, but happy for good news about the reverse colostomy.</p>

<p>Psych: it’s great to ‘see’ you & hear about the great things you are doing. Congrats on the publications!</p>

<p>Mdem: you’ve just had one of those ‘AHA!’ moments when you realize that you’ve changed & your environment has not kept pace. It’s bittersweet because it means you are growing up. I think such moments help you to better define your future path. So don’t look back! Keep your eyes on the future: London, college, next summer …… You’ve got a bright road ahead of you :)</p>

<p>My S2 has reached a similar conclusion: today is his next-to-last day of work at a job he has outgrown & no longer likes. He complains that his wages have not kept pace with the cost of inflation, so his paycheck does not stretch as far as it did 3 years ago. This is painfully clear when he fills up the Bionic Pickup. He has kindly ‘invited’ me (& my credit card) to go ‘shopping’ with him this week. (I think he’s secretly hoping that I will take him for Vietnamese Pho for lunch.) :D</p>

<p>anyone else feeling like they are on “hold” for this sophomore year?? 2years ago we were all involved in the app process, last year all involved (emotionally more than practically) with freshman year and new college experiences…now this year…not really much to get involved in lol</p>

<p>S2 and i talked while he was home about future plans, and looked at what he needs for phd, what he needs if he plans to go forward with an md/phd, what exams he would need, what courses, what extra things, but they all seem to come together in junior year…</p>

<p>he is over the “newness” and totally capable of handling everything going forward…but is a procrastinator, so as much as he “mumbles” when i remind him of deadlines, he does rely on it…my “reminder role” wont really be necessary this year.</p>

<p>P56 - That’s how it is here, too. Nice to know we’re not alone. I am finding myself being more of an observer with an occasional opportunity to offer advice. It’s not because I’m stepping back but because he’s showing a little more initiative to be independent. </p>

<p>Although, his comment, “I fixed my class schedule so I have a 3 day weekend again.” reminds me that he still needs a little guidance in the time management department.</p>

<p>lol lilmom…S2 managed to get his schedule so that no class begins before 10 am and no classes on fridays!! he does have one lab that will go from 5:30 to 9:30pm on thursdays… he doesnt know his teaching (TA) schedule yet… but is hoping he doesnt get a friday class</p>

<p>I am nervous that the next year will go by even faster than the last! They have grown up too quickly!</p>

<p>The other day, I came home from a short trip and found chow mein in the refrigerator. DH told me that S had made it and it was actually good. And it was. Later, when I asked him who taught him how to cook it (I have never cooked chow mein), he said he just threw some leftover meat and veggies with noodles that I had in the freezer. So, I guess the wok (a wedding gift I never used) will make it back to the apartment when he goes back.</p>

<p>DH and I celebrating our 25th anniversary tomorrow! No real plans. Maybe I can get S to cook, haha.</p>

<p>Happy anniversary lilmom!!!</p>

<p>Congrats on the 25th, lilmom! H and I just went out for a nice dinner. Perhaps the 4 of us should get together for a weekend trip somewhere fabulous, lol.</p>

<p>I agree about being more of an observer this year. After a year of being at college, the kids have a better idea of what they need and how to organize themselves than we do! </p>

<p>Mdem, what’s happening with you and your former friends is pretty normal. Friday night D’s friend came by to visit us while we were volunteering at the food booth at the local fair. The friend said to D, “I’ve figured out that you are pretty much the only real friend I have left in this town.” D replied, “SAME!” </p>

<p>There are a lot of kids here who were in tight friendship circles in hs who remain that way when they get home from college, but I’d venture to say most of them are at schools no more than about 2 hours from home. They’ll probably end up living around here and keep those friendships for the rest of their lives. In a way that’s wonderful… and in a way it’s kind of sad/limiting. To each his own, I guess!</p>

<p>Very slow morning here, but crazydad’s party was a blast! We didn’t get to bed until 2:30. Crazydad brought out the scotch and some of the guys settled in. Wives confiscated car keys and for a brief shining moment youth was revisited.</p>

<p>glad the party was a success acm!!! but we wouldnt expect anything less from you!</p>

<p>waving at laf</p>

<p>Slow moving around here too acm, although I can’t say it was b/c we can look back to wild social party last night.</p>

<p>We’re kinda on hold too for my soon-to-be sophomore. I wish he’d do more research things, but he has something set up. I do worry a bit more about BB2 who will be that junior you mentioned, since I want to make sure he’ll graduate w/in 4 years. He assures me he will. Gulp. I think it’ll really help next summer that he already has an internship this summer.</p>

<p>Mdem, my sons (esp. BB2 & BB3) still remain close to a small circle of friends. I notice that each year, more of them move away or stay at their college over the summer. so that circle gets smaller. But they have also gone college-hopping this summer to see them. You mentioned some of your friends dropped out or go to a community college. There in explains a lot. They may not have the same lifelong goals that you do and you’re growing up and out while they’re content with the status quo.</p>

<p> :sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny:
:heart::heart: Happy Anniversary SLUMOM and SLUDAD and lilmom and lildad! :heart::heart:</p>

<p>Shout out back to you, kindredspirit! I hope your daughter arrived safely and enjoyed some quality time with you. That first hug is always great, isn’t it?</p>

<p>austinmtmom - Glad you’re staying :cool:! {{HUGS}}</p>

<p>momof3sons - WaViNg frantically to you, too. How wonderful to have all three home at the same time. Wishing you peace, harmony, and just a little bit of snarkiness.</p>

<p>Looking forward to reports on anothercrazydad’s birthday party and initiatelaunch and the ‘Dunk a Drunk’ adventure.</p>

<p>Sending {{HUGS}} and prayers for family members with health challenges.</p>

<p>rocket6louise - Welcome home! Wishing all the best for you and your family in the year ahead.</p>

<p>mdemvizi - I agree about the Container Store… Ours had a ‘College Night’ and then I found out :eek: that teachers qualify for a discount all the time. Re: your friends from home - Our daughter kind of separated from her high school friends while she was in college. They all went off in different directions for four years. Now several of them are back ‘home’ and they have reconnected. She is very happy to spend time with them when she can.</p>

<p>parent56, YouDon’tSay, and ProudNJMom - I saw Blake Shelton singing ‘Honey Bee’ on one of the late night shows earlier this week. (It may have been a rerun.) I thought about all of you and told my husband that several of the ladies from CC like him. ;)</p>

<p>BUandBC82 and jc40 - Wishing you a wonderful school year! Hoping your lucky students are respectful and hard workers. Hoping their parents are supportive.</p>

<p>Adding my good wishes for happy send-offs and safe travel as our much-loved young adults return to college. How blessed are they?! How blessed are we?!</p>

<p>Trying to stay :cool: here…</p>