Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Hi everybody. I was out for the morning. Our group, Hudson Adirondack Daylily Society, spent the morning digging daylilies to divide and sell at our annual sale next Saturday morning. DH and I dug daylilies at two of our members’ houses, then got a bite to eat and some coffee and came home. </p>

<p>DsS is still asleep. This most recent summer course he took only started at 3:20 p.m., so he only had to be up by the crack of 2 p.m. or so. It will be a RUDE awakening for him, literally, when he has to start getting himself up for classes that start daily at a little after 10 a.m. Poor baby…</p>

<p>Happy anniversary lilmom!! ACM, I’m so glad the party was a good one. Such a special memory.</p>

<p>D2 has brought out the card table to begin our construction of dorm mountain. I’m going to miss her terribly. No one else is so generous in humoring me when I tell her “Pawlenty dropped out. Can you believe it?” She’s a good egg.</p>

<p>She went out with her best friend last night. A boy. He has always been a great, responsible kid, but last night he was driving and got falling down drunk, leaving my tiny D to walk home at midnight by herself. (Hubby and D1 had our cars). I’m raving mad right now. </p>

<p>

This made me laugh out loud.</p>

<p>

I can just feel your sympathy coming through.</p>

<p>zoosermom–I’m glad your DD made it home by herself, but so mad that that boy put her in the dangerous position of having to walk home alone at midnight.</p>

<p>Just let us at him. I’m sure that I’m not the only one ready to come at that boy with tar and feathers…</p>

<p>mdem- I hear you about the growing apart. My D is feeling the same about the hs friends she just left in June. More and more graduation parts are foregone because she feels she really does not have much in common with them. She would still support them if they needed something, but hanging out just does not interest her as much as her other activities (mostly with adults).</p>

<p>Sorry zoosermom about your D’s experience. That reminds me to talk to her about strategies for dealing with something like that. As my D is going to school about 15 minutes from inlaws, I think we will suggest that she talk to them about being an emergency back up for transportation. We always had that deal with her here- if she was ever out and the driver was impaired, she was to call us with no consequences. She never had to use it, but it was a comfort to have it all spelled out.</p>

<p>Good afternoon all!</p>

<p>12rm and BT: Thanks for your good wishes. D did arrive home safely and yes, the first HUG was awesome!:slight_smile: And thanks both for your usual great recaps!</p>

<p>acm: So glad the party was wonderful for crazydad.</p>

<p>lilmom: Adding my Anniversary wishes for you and your H. Enjoy your celebration!</p>

<p>zooser: I’m also glad that your D arrived home safely, and also understanding your upset at her irresponsible friend…Definitely not cool!</p>

<p>LIMOM: Enjoy your shopping with your D. I’m sure you’ll find something. ;)</p>

<p>It’s a grey, rainy day here. After we catch up on new Project Runway shows that I saved to watch with D, we also will begin our shopping today. :)</p>

<p>Wishing all those traveling, safety and continued wishes to all for a fabulous school year.</p>

<p>Have a great Sunday everyone and enjoy…</p>

<p>Like BT, I’m working on :cool:</p>

<p>Hello and happy Sunday. </p>

<p>ACM, I’m glad your party was a smash! Not that I doubted anything less. :)</p>

<p>mdem - Just like what everyone else said, your emotions are normal. (Too bad that “friend” is such a jerk.)</p>

<p>zm - that boy needs a talking to. </p>

<p>D and I will be leaving home this afternoon and heading up to Huntingdon, Pa for a Juniata COLLEGE visit tomorrow. I hear it’s in the middle of nowhere. Oh well. I still enjoy the visits. </p>

<p>Cheers!</p>

<p>Hi All!</p>

<p>12rmh, BT, and ks – Thanks for the recaps!..and a big “Hi!” to all of you!</p>

<p>Thanks for all the good wishes for my school year. I met my class on Friday. They’re very cute. My S2 will be a Senior Buddy for one of my students this year, so that will be fun for all of us.</p>

<p>Happy Anniversary to SLUMOM, lilmom, and their Hs!!</p>

<p>ks – I hope you are enjoying your D at home. :slight_smile: Yay for family time!</p>

<p>Good to hear from psych and rocket!</p>

<p>Mdemvizi – I hope you have a good week planning and packing for your London trip!</p>

<p>Zooser – Glad your D made it home safely. I’d be raving mad too!</p>

<p>acm – Sounds like your party was fun and a great success.</p>

<p>My S still spends lots of time with his HS friends. Of course, he is only going to school 2 hours from home. Some of these kids have been friends with him since first grade. I love it. These are all incredibly great kids and I’m really happy that he has what appear to be lifelong friendships. </p>

<p>I just finished my last novel before school starts tomorrow. Reading books for pleasure is definitely one of my summer joys…now back to lesson plans and books about differentiation.</p>

<p>DB - Enjoy your college visit. I enjoy seeing the schools, but am glad to be done looking with S2.</p>

<p>Have a great Sunday everyone!</p>

<p>OMG! DsS is out of bed–AND it is not even 2:30 p.m., yet. Will wonders never cease?</p>

<p>BU, what book did you just read? I’m in need of something new. Just finished Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok, easy read and engaging. Also just bought “Crafting Connections” by Drs Taubman and Leaf. I didn’t feel the need to go to another conference, but their book looked good.</p>

<p>DB, you might want to consider other not-so-far-away colleges while visiting Juniata. There are so many in Pa, although I seem to recall you already went to F&M. Of course there’s always Laf someone might want to suggest.</p>

<p>donna, my dear BB2 said the other day, “I know I’ve been working for just a few days, but I sure love my days off.” He isn’t up yet and it’s what time? I don’t know how he does it, but he swears he has never missed a class.</p>

<p>poo poo head boy zooser!!! </p>

<p>waving at all!!!</p>

<p>S2 called and now has dilemna lol…thinks he may want to take a speech class that is geared toward scientific presentations…but…alas only offered at 11am on fridays!!! only registered for 15 credits this semester as he hasnt any idea of the workload for phage gneomics, and now thinks he should maybe add one more course?? bet he finds a way to justify not doing that one!</p>

<p>Hi everyone,
Thank you all for the great recaps throughout the week :D</p>

<p>**<em>♪♫</em>Happy Anniversary to Mr.& Mrs. Slumom and Mr.& Mrs. Lilmom! <em>♪♫</em> **</p>

<p>Glad to read the move-ins went well for our first sophomores :)</p>

<p>KS~welcome back to your wonderful D. Today is a great day to catch up and cuddle :)</p>

<p>BU&BT~Good Luck on the start on yet another school year.</p>

<p>Kinderny~Welcome back . Hope you had a great time in Maine :)</p>

<p>Acm~The party sounds fabulous, today is a great day to get some rest :)</p>

<p>DB~ Safe travels to PA.</p>

<p>Mdem~Have a wonderful trip. London is such a nice city in August. Sorry about the AH!! moment, it is all part of growing up.</p>

<p>Zoos~ Chivalry is dead :(</p>

<p>S1 has remained close with his HS friends. They get together every break.As I type, he is down the shore for their annual week long bonding trip. It has been the same boys for the past 5 years.
S2 is a different type of kid,time will tell</p>

<p>P56~No down time here…
S1 and S2 dorm mountains have taken over the guest room. S2 is super excited about his dorm, his school. We are making him feel “special”, jsut like his brother last year. Then we will come home to an empty nest :frowning:
It is starting to sink in…last year we had another round of apps to keep us (me) busy. This year will be a different story. Trying to stay :cool:</p>

<p>Waving to all~~</p>

<p>Oh no, p56, there goes his 3 day weekend! My S wouldn’t go for that, haha.</p>

<p>well seeing as we are into launch…may i take this opportunity to propose a toast (be it with wine, coffee, tea, soft drink)…</p>

<p>may this be a great year for our kids, a smooth year especially for those who went through turmoil and heartache with kid’s struggles this past year, another year on their journey while we watch with pride (and trepidation at times)… and of course another year without any broken retainers!! … and may this year find health for family members and jobs for those looking </p>

<p>to the class of 2014 and beyond!!!</p>

<p>yep lilmom… i see him nixing that one! that’s just too much to ask LOL</p>

<p>P56 - I have to ask: What is phage gneomics?</p>

<p>Lima, DB’s D already rejected Laf due to the hill. Elon is flat though… just sayin’. ;)</p>

<p>P56 ~Wonderful idea :slight_smile:
Y’all ~I raise my glass of Orangina to the class of 2014 and Beyond. May God Bless your Journey
!</p>

<p>laf… i dont know alot about it…it is through the Howard Hughes foundation… had to apply last year…its a year long research program … there are a number of colleges that participate in the program </p>

<p><a href=“http://images.main.uab.edu/bioimg/Phage%20Explorations%20Program%20Information-FINAL.pdf[/url]”>http://images.main.uab.edu/bioimg/Phage%20Explorations%20Program%20Information-FINAL.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://www.hhmi.org/news/SEA20091217.html[/url]”>http://www.hhmi.org/news/SEA20091217.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>p56–I’ll definitely drink to that toast. Here! Here! To a smooth year to all our kids!</p>

<p>p56 - I’m raising my glass!</p>

<p>lima - I read The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen and enjoyed it very much.</p>

<p>Hi 2ed! You’ll be visiting NC soon!!</p>

<p>Thank you all for the support on my fueled rant yesterday evening. I have realized for awhile that my ‘life path’ is a lot different than those around me. Most of the people I grew up with either want to become a teacher or are majoring in IR or STEM. I am of course the lonely Communications major. We have this joke in our ‘friend circle’ that one of our friends will graduate from college, teach at our elementary/middle school, and eventually become the principal. I just don’t want to do that. I really don’t. </p>

<p>DB - Good luck visiting Juniata! A girl I went to high school with goes there and she seems to enjoy it a lot. I do believe it is in the middle of the nowhere though, haha.</p>

<p>donnagal - I think I got out of bed today around the same time as your S. I know that tomorrow is going to be unpleasant for me. I have a 10AM haircut followed by a dentist appointment. BLAH. </p>

<p>P56 - I will raise a glass of water to this toast. I hope this year goes well for all of you and all of your kids!</p>