Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Second page rescue</p>

<p>Mdem, glad it’s just a sprain.</p>

<p>DB, I hope your life is going better!</p>

<p>CountingDown, glad you’re back with us and not down for the count! (Do you see what I did there? :wink: )</p>

<p>Please send the positive vibes my son’s way tonight and tomorrow. He finally found an apartment he loves in his price range and he wants to apply, but it’s a co-op. He would have to be approved by the board and they are only meeting on June 19 - while we are in Bermuda. S is trying desperately to get them to agree to have someone meet with him on an alternate date. He’s already run into a couple of Catch-22’s on this (they won’t contact the Board unless he pays a $300 application fee, which he doesn’t want to pay until he knows that someone will indeed meet with him), so he could use some help to navigate this life-lesson in dealing with bureaucracy!</p>

<p>Welcome home to the kids who are still arriving!!</p>

<p>I am very behind on this thread, but it looks like I need to send feel better wishes to YDS’s S, mdemvizi, and mathmom’s S! I hope today shows improvement for all.</p>

<p>I want to send a big hello and hug to CountingDown!! It’s great to see you posting on CC! Welcome back and get well soon, please!</p>

<p>Laf - positive vibes coming your way!</p>

<p>Laf, so envious of you! I’m thrilled DS has had such a positive experience at work that he’s ready to buy into a co-op. He’ll be fine about those co-op boards. Think of it this way: if they don’t want to meet with him, then maybe the hassle of owning there isn’t worth it. Sending PVCs!</p>

<p>mommusic, hit “follow posts” under the initial comment. Where is shows “Like, Comment, Follow post”. The comments come into the email account you set up.</p>

<p>YDS, you’re such a good mother. Now get some sleep!</p>

<p>limabeans–you missed the joke! You typed “massages” instead of “messages” and I asked how you got MASSAGES in your email. :)</p>

<p>I had the best time picking up S that I’ve ever had, I think. First of all, we discovered (when the car was only partially loaded), that he can leave stuff IN HIS ROOM because he’s coming back this summer to the same room. Wonderful news, and I don’t care if he had to pack up b/c he didn’t know his room assignment until this afternoon. At least the room got somewhat cleaned and we didn’t have to pack all that stuff and unload it at home! :)</p>

<p>Second, I had the rest of the day off so after we were done with his room, we had time to go to DAAP (Design, Art, ARchitecture, Planning college) to see all the different exhibits, which were quite wonderful. Then dinner in the cafeteria (which he’s probably sick of but I always like the Mongolian-BBQ-style stir fry.) Then we stayed for the combined band concert, which was really nice. We know a graduating senior in it so it was good to see her & talk afterwards. And the last piece was an arrangement of the traditional Irish tune “The Parting Glass” which opened with 8 of the guy band members SINGING the tune, then the full band and finally a bagpiper, coming down the aisle to join in. Brought tears to my eyes, it did. </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>mommusic - Ah, that sounds like an excellent “red letter day”. </p>

<p>LAF - Is your DS looking to buy or rent at the co-op?</p>

<p>Lima, he doesn’t want to buy - he wants to RENT. There’s a $300 application fee just to apply to rent, and he’d have to be approved by the board.</p>

<p>Okay, the jig is up. I can only see from one eye tonight. My contact lens is displaced and it’s driving me crazy. That’s why I missed mommusic’s “massages” in my email and Laf’s rent NOT buy arrangement.</p>

<p>Glad you had such a nice afternoon with DS mommusic. Now if only I could get that dreaded contact lens back where on my eye. I think I may be more successful trying to figure out how to get massages on my email (but maybe that sounds weird?) Hummm. I’ll have to reread this when I see properly. :eek:</p>

<p>Red letter day in our house also - actually it was blue letterhead. </p>

<p>For those of you following my DS saga, today he was given his official medical clearance to play baseball again. Eleven months of hard work following the Tommy John surgery to get to this point. Now I’m looking forward to seeing him pitch in a game again. :)</p>

<p>Wahoo Scualum!!! Congratulations!</p>

<p>Laf: sending the PVC your S’s way ($300 just for an application fee! Yikes. I forgot all about that kind of stuff living down here in my bubble.)</p>

<p>YDS: Hope that D1 is still feeling well & that you were able to get a nice nap.</p>

<p>Woo hoo SCUAlum!! Great news!</p>

<p>Good morning! Happy Friday!</p>

<p>Today’s plan (when S wakes up) is to have him go through the computers & computer parts/accessories in the basement and take most of them to RECYCLING. My guys used to rebuild them but now that everyone has a laptop, it’s not necessary to have a mountain of parts down there. And we can certainly use the space for other things we apparently have to store for other people…</p>

<p>But I am proud of my S that he did laundry, including his bedding, before he packed up his dorm room. :slight_smile: There’s hope!</p>

<p>coffeeless morning today…mr coffee bit the dust!!! :frowning: </p>

<p>pvc to laf’s son with the condo board</p>

<p>woohoo scualum!!!</p>

<p>S2 may be getting a kitten this weekend… found a russian blue… they are supposed to be hypoallergenic…we’ll see how true that is LOL</p>

<p>No coffee!! Emergency!</p>

<p>We had a russian blue that I absolutely adored. She had the best personality (d2 used to carry her through the house tucked under her arm.) she was 22 pounds in her prime.</p>

<p>that’s good to know robd…i dont know anything about that kind of cat…we have always had strays that S2 just sneezed over. He asked if i wanted to meet him at the cat owner’s place to “see the kitty” (that could be code for do i want to pay for it ?) they look soooo cute in the pictures. supposed to be pure bred so i guess i should look for the mauve footpads and green eyes. Did read they are very smart though</p>

<p>put the filter and coffee in the machine and poured boiling water in there …can not start a day with out my coffee!! but will make walmart run for a new one.</p>

<p>Page 2 rescue!</p>

<p>S and I spent 2 hours cleaning out the old computers from the basement. We took 4 towers, a monitor, and many fans, power supplies, cords, and old FLOPPY DISKS to the recycling place. I’m just happy the place takes this old stuff without charging for it. I swear it was multiplying in the dark. </p>

<p>Now the basement just looks crowded, not like a hoarder is holed up in there. :)</p>

<p>I admit it, I’m way behind.</p>

<p>Congrats to those with returning “chicks.” Don’t forget to run out and get lots of worms!</p>

<p>Hero of the Week – CD’s S2! Glad to see CD back!!! Somehow it only seems fair that since you gave him life that he should return the favor… call it even. :wink: Both of my D’s were life guards, so they had CPR training.</p>

<p>Munequita – Thanx for jumping in and and performing thread page CPR as needed.</p>

<p>Hero of the Week #2 – scualum’s DS. WooHoo!</p>

<p>ML – Health insurance crisis averted, whew!</p>

<p>Aliceinw – I hope that your mom has an E. coli.-free trip to MN!</p>

<p>ProudNJMom – Sorry that S2 has to head back. Maybe you could call DW and make a COSTCO run together and commiserate about being sans chicks. ;)</p>

<p>Mdem – Sorry to hear about the foot. I guess it is minor consolation that it isn’t broken. If your parents ask, you didn’t hear it here, but it is possible to drive an automatic with only your left foot… not that I would know or anything. ;)</p>

<p>LAF – Hope all works out with S’s apartment.</p>

<p>P56 – re: Paul McCartney – Look on the bright side… no wardrobe malfunction. ;)</p>

<p>Speaking of “fab”…

I knew that grandma and D1 would turn up somewhere. Don’t worry, they were probably just testing the limits of the drinking age. Worst case, if they were lost, they could always call LAF’s D’s “Froggy” for tips on how to travel ½ way around the world and get back safely. :wink: Hope you find a place to prominently display S3’s (aka “he who shall remain nameless in the program”) award.</p>

<p>Mommusic – 10 days sounds about right for a Hazmat team to get a boy’s dorm back into habitable condition. :wink: Glad that you had a wonderful time picking him up. We don’t even dare “threaten” D2 with any more dining hall food than is necessary even though her college has a really nice brunch on the weekends. How could you be so heartless as to make DS get rid of all those computer parts that he may need someday? ;)</p>

<p>Much like the Royal Wedding, I was the lone dissenter from watching the Diamond Jubilee events. Is there a Pippa-esque event that I should be Googling? ;)</p>

<p>YDS – Hopefully things will calm down with your S and he will be good as new by 6/18.</p>

<p>I know that D2 made it to D1’s apartment on Tuesday as D1 posted pictures of them making mini-pizzas together on FB. I think that it is going to be a regular Tuesday night thing.:slight_smile: </p>

<p>D2 called me late this week because, “I thought I should let you know that I am still alive.” We talked for quite a while. She is still in learning mode about the collection on which she will be working, but LOVES her internship (partially because she is learning). She cracked me up that a “highlight” for her and the other interns was someone retiring this week, so they had luncheon to which people brought food. Another highlight was a lecture at work at which lunch from Subway was provided… see the theme here? :wink: Her college also set up a chance for its interns to meet the House of Representatives member for Princeton, NJ which I thought was kinda nice.</p>

<p>She is still struggling with not having the structure that she has at school. I know it sounds weird, but she doesn’t like too much free, unstructured time.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, she inherited the tight-as-the-bark-on-a-tree gene from my side of the family and is concerned about spending too much money in DC (remember this is the child that wouldn’t go $5 over budget on her glasses). I really had to convince her that it is OK to spend some money to have fun this summer. I had to tell her that it is OK to go out someplace nice every now and then, just not every day, and that I trust her to not run out and buy a Mercedes for fun. If I left it up to her, she’d probably try to figure out how to survive on PB&J for 10 weeks, ergh!</p>

<p>Her solution that covers both problems… she is researching free or low-cost options (museums, free movies at the Smithsonian, the zoo, etc.) and planning group outings for her and other interns to do.</p>

<p>Landed in ATL and had a pix from D2 of the Capitol and blue sky, with text “Just hanging out at the Capitol after work. I SO love working here.” (she does not work at the Capitol, just went there after work). My reply was to suggest that she go out and celebrate her first week in DC… subtle, huh? ;)</p>

<p>SCUAlum, yay for the wonderful news! :)</p>

<p>Tomorrow DH and I are attending our 30th college reunion!! Can’t believe that much time has gone by…I always forget that I’m almost 52. Fortunately, we live within an easy drive from our alma mater- there’s no way my old back could handle a dorm bed! ;)</p>

<p>Servicemaster has deemed our basement dry…now to put all the stuff back :(</p>