<p>^12rmh18 - the Friday evening parade sounds lovely.<br>
G# - I am keeping my fingers crossed that my D will intern in DC in the next couple of years. I love that many of the kids on this thread are adventurous!
Munequita - PVC express on the way to your D.</p>
<p>S is home and found a job. Yay, it’s even related to his major so that’s a plus. Then, my brother was here for D’s graduation and mentioned he is going to work for a firm that may have internship opportunities for S. He would have to spend the summer in San Diego with him. Wow, that would be tough. ;). So, he may have work lined up for next summer, too. Fingers crossed.</p>
<p>Hope everyone’s having a great day. DH and I are off to breakfast and then to take 5 10 yr.olds to see a school production of Annie. Lil D will be our “only child” once D’12
launches…</p>
<p>Did anyone see Doonesbury today? At the college graduation there were special announcements from the dean re meeting with debt counselors following the ceremony. Platinum borrowers had a special entrance for expedited consultations. And the last frame mentioned the special reception honoring “full-freight parents.”</p>
<p>:D I think we can all relate, in one way or another!</p>
<p>Lilmom: Congrats on S’s job! Ugh! We have had one at home for 2 years (he graduates next year). At first we thought it would be really weird, but actually we really liked it. After being pulled in 3 different directions for so long, it was nice to just have one to focus on.</p>
<p>D1 and grandma arrived home safely yesterday from their grand adventure in London. They had a great time. Grandma (aka the energizer bunny) did wear out D1 though. She brought me home a baseball cap from the Olympics and Wimbledon. She took a picture of a black lab at the palace who looked just like Henry. I guess that makes sense since he is an “English” lab.</p>
<p>I pick S2 up Wednesday night. He has a final Tuesday and Wednesday and a take-home final due Tuesday at midnight. So maybe point the PVC this way Tuesday and Wednesday.</p>
<p>^Wow, I can’t believe a school goes even later than my son’s! Good luck!</p>
<p>Next year (after the change to semesters) we’ll be among the early happy ones, finishing in late April, starting summer school or work in May. :)</p>
<p>Hi all. S has headed back to my in-laws’ in NJ, with a carload of stuff from our house and Target to begin getting ready for his new apartment (assuming it goes thru). I’ll be giving him our “everyday” dishes (many of which are chipped) and the set of saucepans that I got when I got married and buying new stuff for myself. It’s a win-win for everyone!</p>
<p>I went shopping today to try to find fathers day gifts - zero luck. But I did have really good luck finding stuff for ME for our cruise I might not need to take my planned shopping trip with D this week after all. She was supposed to be my consultant, but frankly whenever she comes along somehow it turns into a shopping trip for her. I guess that’s what happens when you’re 20 and adorable and everything you try on looks great. :rolleyes:</p>
<p>That is exactly what happens when D15 and I go shopping. </p>
<p>P56: glad you’re ok. I saw a pix of your new Kitty…very cute. I’m allergic to cats too.</p>
<p>D15 is going to be in a local pageant in August. We’re going shopping Saturday for a long dress. I hope prom stuff is still out. Any suggestions?</p>
<p>She painted her bathroom hot pink yesterday along with one wall of zebra stripes. We’ve got zebra print towels; trash can; etc. It turned out really cute.</p>
<p>CD - I love it that your son is a delight to have around!</p>
<p>Laf - Good for you, finding “win-win”. Have you picked out your new cookware? (If not, there are some Parent Cafe threads). I too have a D that looks great in everything. That was true even before she got into running and eating better. I’d be happy to buy her new clothes, but alas shopping is not her thing. … except for running clothes (she has discovered the “deals” at Goodwill).</p>
<p>Checkers…The bathroom sounds adorable! She must have a lot of talent to be able to design something like that. </p>
<p>LAF…I can’t wait to hear about your cruise. The new clothes sound great too especially since, if I were to guess, they’re a size smaller than normal! (You go girl!!!)</p>
<p>P56…I haven’t heard about any of the stuff going on in AL. I hope you and everyone you know are safe and well. </p>
<p>txathome…Glad the London trip was a success. I remember my last trip to London – pickpocketed as soon as D and I landed. DH spent the better part of the day trying to wire us cash and a credit card. D, nonetheless, still has fond memories of our girl trip. High tea at the Ritz was her favorite. </p>
<p>I’m enjoying my lazy summer tremendously but starting to get slightly bored already. I love to work and can only relax for so long. D is having a ball in Nashville at her internship. She’s spent the last 4 days at a HUGE C&W concert called the CMA Fest. Last night was her favorite; some guy named Luke Bryan (? I think that was his name – I don’t follow C&W) performed. She said, “Mom, he is simply GORGEOUS!” Guess I’ll have to Google him and see if I agree. Amidst attending the concert, she’s sitting in on med school discussions, doing rounds, and conducting research in pediatric neurosurgery. </p>
<p>P56 Congrats of the acquisition of notch! If there is ever a name change, I vote for something collegiate like Vodka. Hope all stays calm in your part of AL and that you and your family are safe.</p>
<p>Coskat Im glad to hear that Im not the only one with a penny-pinchin D. She can spend it when she wants to though. ;)</p>
<p>Colorado_mom / 12rmh18 Thanx for the DC penny-pinchin links. I will pass them on.</p>
<p>LAF Hope S finds that pot of gold! Hope the kid swap went well and you didnt mix up favorite meals. Also glad to hear that you found some Fathers Day presents for yourself. ;)</p>
<p>AliceinW Congrats to your graduating D! See gift idea above. ;)</p>
<p>Mommusic Gotta love them As.</p>
<p>Lilmom D2 truly is enjoying DC, so I hope that your D gets the chance. Id go more with afraid of spending the summer in small town VA over adventurous. We received a pix of a panda from D2 while at the zoo this weekend. Congrats to S on one, maybe two summers of employment. Finally, enjoy Lil D the sun will come out tomorrow </p>
<p>D1 posted a link to an article to my FB about the Car Talk guys retiring in a couple of months with the message This is sort of sad. That was my favorite show to complain about having to listen to when you drove me someplace.</p>
<p>Should I be concerned that as part of her internship D2 is really enjoying researching cultures with ritual human sacrifice? :eek: In her very matter-of-fact words, I want to understand why any civilization would find that acceptable. Thats my little one. ;)</p>
<p>Kyparent - yay! I’ll have to tell my D. 9 weeks and counting before her launch!</p>
<p>G# - I forgot that your D is already on the east coast so being in DC isn’t being far from home! I suppose it would be like my kid interning in L.A. just 1 hour away.</p>
<p>Yes, we love the “car talk” guys. I haven’t learned much about cars but love their sense of humor! Lil D listens to it w/DH and just can’t figure out what’s so funny.</p>
<p>good morning everyone! I am surprisingly awake for a Monday morning. </p>
<p>jc40, You are so fortunate to be a naturally high energy person. At least coffee levels the playing field for me.</p>
<p>Laf and others with fun summer plans, Have a great time! I will try not to be too envious. We’re doing the staycation this year (except for some visiting of relatives).</p>
<p>GSharp, I like how your D thinks! Let us know how these cultures have found a way to justify cannibalism. I have a mother-in-law that looks tasty (just joking in a sick way, mom :eek:)!</p>
<p>Checkers, Love the bathroom. Remember that there are hot pink mini-fridges when it’s D’s time to head to college. I have first-hand knowledge of this.</p>
<p>mommusic - My S showed me that comic as we were packing up his dorm room on Friday!</p>
<p>Thanks for all the congratulations on D’s graduation. She is now a graduate, has moved all her belongings that won’t fit in a suitcase into a storage unit, and is taking a few days on campus to decompress before she starts working reunion. We (H, S, and moi) arrived home safely an hour or so ago. It was a wonderful experience to see D graduate, meet her friends, and celebrate.</p>
<p>I am going to enjoy this last afternoon off before I head back to work tomorrow morning.</p>
<p>well that was a pain in the butt!>>> really bad storm going on…driving home, straight line winds blowing car, get about 10 miles…trees across the road…only other way into our house in the boonies was a 45 mile detour!!! drive all around the lake…not knowing if going to have more trees down that way !</p>