Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>P56: D1 didn’t have cable in her apartment this past year. I couldn’t believe it. S2 would go through withdrawal. He is hooked on ESPN.</p>

<p>Waving weakly & saying hey! It’s one of my crazier work weeks due to an annual program I support so I knew going in that I’d only have one day off in 10 days. I didn’t expect an email at 8:10 am telling me that the construction crew had cut through a sprinkler & my office flooded. Knowledge gained today: black ball point pen ink does not run on wet paper; that snazzy purple gel pen I’ve been using on all my notes does. Figure I can use the “sorry, I lost that data in the flood!” excuse for 3 months. Oy vey. Thankful tonight for margaritas.</p>

<p>P56: so sorry about the weather issues yesterday! It stayed south of Nashville but looked really nasty. </p>

<p>Congratulations to all on HS graduations!</p>

<p>We had our mini dvr tapes converted to DVDs a few years ago, but I’ve noticed lately that Costco offers the service for MUCH cheaper than I paid.</p>

<p>coloradomom…see we can come up with names! S2 will be stuck with “kitty” soon. and despite his claims that “no way will the cat sleep with me”… apparently it sleeps all cuddled up next to him :)</p>

<p>hope things get easier soon robd.</p>

<p>tx5… i think i would go through withdrawal without my house hunters and cooking shows.</p>

<p>parent56–we ordered Elgato Video Capture from Amazon. My son installed it on his laptop and in minutes we were watching videos & recording them. He used Moviemaker to add titles & trim things up, then he used DVD Flick (open source software) to burn the DVDs. </p>

<p>(I may have some of the details wrong, but those were the programs he used.) :)</p>

<p>He got to see himself in You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown… he played Linus. Typecasting. :D</p>

<p>He should be able to finish this project when he’s home this week.</p>

<p>Edit: We briefly considered sending the tapes out to be converted, but some of them we only wanted part (the part my kids are in) and to be able to add titles, credits, and get things just the way you want them–you really have to do it yourself.</p>

<p>
[quote=
DB]
Until it’s over, know I’m here in spirit, lurking the days away. “See” you next week.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Would that I had time to lurk!! Catching up (somewhat) </p>

<p>CD - what a blessing - brought back by your S! Miracles happen. I agree with RobD - that’s going to be a whopper of a birthday gift!</p>

<p>S1 is having a fun on the EuroTour, posting the occasional picture on FB. I can’t decide if its more “Where’s Waldo” or “Flat Stanley”. </p>

<p>Was on the road last week and ran across this magazine. It seems to fit in with this crowd. [Garden</a> and Gun | Soul of the South](<a href=“http://gardenandgun.com/]Garden”>http://gardenandgun.com/)</p>

<p>Please point the PVC at DW for the next few days - awaiting biopsy results.</p>

<p>initiatelaunch - sending positive thoughts your DW’s way, and to you, too!</p>

<p>PVC pointed directly at WifeofIL.</p>

<p>IL – Sorry that I missed you this week. I definitely send positive vibes to your DW and you!!! I think that we may in ATL together next Friday night.</p>

<p>Lima – Add me to the list of those having a laugh at your and your mother’s expense. Apologies accepted?</p>

<p>Welcome back Aliceinw with that healthy MN tan and hopefully no E.Coli. It’s amazing what one can learn from email. ;)</p>

<p>Lilmom – Sounds like it should be an interesting cruise. ;)</p>

<p>12rmh18 – Since I’m from that evil college on the other side of VA, I haven’t followed the UVA story very closely, but it does seem strange. I think I saw an announcement while in the Richmond airport on Sunday morning.</p>

<p>P56 – Glad you made it home safely! Suddenly a name for “notch” didn’t seem so important, huh? And here I thought we were the only ones who watch “House Hunters.” Actually, DW watches and I have the option of watching or finding a less comfortable place to sleep. ;)</p>

<p>ProudNJMom – I know that you hated to have to bring S2 back so soon. Hopefully he will make tons of $$$ this summer. D2 will be back home the first week of August, but a company in Williamsburg wants her to come do a “mini” internship with them and potentially put something together for next summer, so DW won’t get as much time with her as planned. Also, she is going back early to help with orientation prep. She is going to bring enough stuff to survive a couple of days and we will do the actual move-in on the weekend.</p>

<p>Since we are all done with move-out, hauling D2 to DC, and other stuff that had to be done over the last few weeks… and Saturday happens to be our anniversary, we have decided to go to the beach for the weekend. DW wants a kayak for our anniversary so that we can go paddling together. Of course D2 called and then wanted to go with us. There just was no good way to get her home from DC and back again for work, so we had to tell her no :frowning: I guess we’re bad parents. We would have liked for her to come, but it just wasn’t gonna happen this time. We are thinking of going to DC in a couple of weeks to see the girls.</p>

<p>Well, D2 finally broke down yesterday and went to the DC Doc-In-A-Box. She has pink eye and missed a day of internship, ergh #1! Of course, she plotted out which urgent care center she could get to for the least METRO $, ergh #2… just go! She got prescription eye drops and felt better today and went back to work. As she put it, “The good news is that I scored 2 free meals this week. I think all they do around here [work] is eat” (which works out for her). I will say that her school does a really good job of supporting its DC interns with activities…
[Princeton</a> University - Office of Career Services](<a href=“http://ocsweb.princeton.edu/piw/]Princeton”>http://ocsweb.princeton.edu/piw/)</p>

<p>Waving to all! It seems so busy now that all kids are home from school, yet I’m gone all day at work.</p>

<p>College news is that grades are in. All good, yay!</p>

<p>College 2.0 news, D bought her new computer tonight. A Macbook Air. Is it a weird twist of irony that I was looking things up on our pc so she could figure out how to do things on her Mac?</p>

<p>Had a weird interviewish thing today. I left with a headache, a shocking realization that my obsessive use of the word “Ummmmm…” could only be surpassed by what I imagine my D’s use of the word “Like” would be, and that I apparently need a therapist since I felt the uncontrollable urge to blurt out my every uncensored thought to a complete stranger who could become my boss. Tomorrow will definitely be better.</p>

<p>Good morning! Time for coffee!</p>

<p>Last night I asked S about his summer school bill, and we noticed he is in a dorm but somehow there’s no meal plan. Hmmmm…today when he’s on campus for work he needs to check that out. </p>

<p>And while he’s at work reshelving books and scanning old manuscripts, <em>I</em> will be playing Bach on my flute and then having a luncheon! Tough job but someone’s got to do it. :)</p>

<p>Sending good vibes to IL’s DW.</p>

<p>Thinking of cat names–how about Boris or Natasha? For those of us who remember Rocky & Bullwinkle fondly…</p>

<p>good morning…thanks for the coffee!</p>

<p>pointing fully loaded pvc at wifeofIL!!!</p>

<p>woohoo for great grades psychmomma!</p>

<p>i used to watch rocky and bullwinkle!</p>

<p>gsharp… i get so frustrated with people who pick the wrong house :)</p>

<p>mommusic… S2 is still technically in dorm over summer and no meal plan either…he has to use his blazer bucks, dining dollars during the summer.</p>

<p>p56–interesting. He <em>thought</em> he signed up for a meal plan, but perhaps there isn’t one? The cafeteria will be open cause there are co-ops & other people on campus, but maybe it’s purchase-by-the-meal. Which would be ok. He’s coming home many weekends, anyway.</p>

<p>Sending good thoughts to WifeofIL!</p>

<p>Page 2 rescue!</p>

<p>Nothing much to report from here…it’s a rainy, dreary day- wish I could be home, curled up with a good book!!</p>

<p>[Was going to do page 2 rescue but TM beat me to it while I was trying to remember how to put in the smilie]</p>

<p>S is home for the week before heading back to campus for a job. Unfortunately, he was sick the last week (during finals and moving out of dorm to apt). Still sick when he arrived home–went to the doc on Monday and got antibiotics for possible pneumonia. :eek: I hope some mom TLC does the trick and he will be well before he has to go back.</p>

<p>Sending good thoughts to all who need them.</p>

<p>CountingDown: wow! Glad you are OK.</p>

<p>Sending out more positive vibes for WoIL and family!</p>

<p>I LOVE the Boris/Natasha idea. I have a Natasha T-shirt that is very old. When I wear it, I really enjoy seeing who recognizes her.</p>

<p>No news around here.</p>

<p>IL: lots of juice for the PVC coming up from TN…</p>

<p>with additional pneumonia fighting vibes going to Motherbear’s house…</p>

<p>Good morning! So I am FINALLY picking up S2 tonight. His last final ends at 5pm so I will likely give him a couple hours to get his room together and pick him up around 7 or 8pm. Hard to believe he is halfway thru!! </p>

<p>S3 is on the fence about whether or not to do Drama next year. He has a full plate with 5 APs, student government, journalism, cross country and tennis, so I am OK with whatever he decides, I just would prefer that he decide. He definitely enjoyed it this year, but there were also some huge disappointments. Evidently it comes down to the fact that sometimes who gets what parts is somewhat political, and that really bothers him. So we will see.</p>

<p>Bumping us up from page 2.</p>

<p>It took about a month but I finally feel in school mode now. I think the summer term has helped get me back into academic in a way while I continue with doctor appointments and family things. </p>

<p>One complaint: People tell me all the time that if you live in Florida you can’t complain. For the past 3 weeks or so all it has done is either be incredibly humid or downpour at random moments. The past couple days it has been better but I felt like I was on Noah’s ark and was never going to stop raining. </p>

<p>Sending healing thoughts to all that need them.</p>

<p>IL, taking the abundance of love and support I’ve gotten here and pointing it all in your DW’s direction.</p>