Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Ergh, delayed in ATL! They better not delay me getting to the beach.</p>

<p>Ummm, I suggest that you go with mommusic’s coffee. Mine tastes funny 'cuz the nice Delta-lady decided that mine should have some Bailey’s in it.</p>

<p>

For my girls to be safe, healthy, and not call with a crisis. :wink: However, a call just to talk would be great! Barring that, I could use a new monitor if you are offering. :wink: There really is nothing that I want / need.</p>

<p>Today is a day I am enjoying real (as opposed to virtual) coffee while reading CC. No work for today, and it’s a glorious day to be at home, taking care of projects. Just not yet motivated to get started yet.</p>

<p>DB - my DD and her BF are coming here for Father’s Day weekend. We have a golf outing planned (including DW, who will be driving the cart and serving Bloody Marys). Its something that we’ve never done before - and I asked for it - so maybe this will be a new Father’s Day tradition. In two weeks, I’m going to see my parents in Virginia; my mom asked if I could set a wireless network up in their house, so they don’t have to walk up the stairs to get to the computer. I asked her if we could consider this a Father’s Day present - Dad is recovering from back surgery - and she thought it was a great idea. That’s an easy thing for me to do, and I know it’ll be something both parents will use and appreciate.</p>

<p>DS is remaining in NYC this summer. He’s working in SoHo; if anyone is going shopping in NYC soon, stop in at the Levi’s store on Broadway and ask for jbehlend’s S for customer service (he gets paid by commission :wink: ). I promise he’ll take good care of you. He has not yet shared his grades from last semester. I don’t think we need to be concerned, but I’d still feel better if I knew. Anyone else dealing with this issue?</p>

<p>DW has a conference in Las Vegas next week; I’ll join her at the end of the week and will stay through the weekend. My bucket list item - ride the roller coaster on top of Stratosphere; DW’s bucket list item is to see Celine Dion perform. We’ll both be crossing these items off the respective lists. :)</p>

<p>Have a great weekend…keep the PVC aiming straight; seems to be working!</p>

<p>Gsharp - Sorry about your delay and hope you get to enjoy the beach!</p>

<p>Footballmom - sending {{hugs}} and positive vibes.</p>

<p>jbehlend - Enjoy the golf outing.</p>

<p>I have no idea what we’re doing for Father’s Day, except that we will probably go out to dinner so H doesn’t have to cook. He’s the only one who knows how when D isn’t around.</p>

<p>S went off for the pre-meeting for his job this AM, and sure enough he called to ask me what is SSN is. Does anyone think it’s funny that I know this and he doesn’t? I’m sure I’ve known mine since I was his age. And he’s the math guy with the number memory. He actually did tell us his grades this term (he doesn’t always) and they were good. He is harder on himself than we are.</p>

<p>D is coming home on Tuesday night. It’s not clear how long she will stay, but it could be a while. Yay! She is working reunion at her COLLEGE, and apparently they had serious flooding there yesterday. The road and all the walking paths to one of the dorms were closed! Hope those attending reunion enjoyed being wet together. D was having trouble moving her stuff as she had planned, but I’m hoping she’s got it under control by now.</p>

<p>Have a great Friday and a great weekend, everyone, and Happy Father’s Day to the dads, if I don’t “see” you again before then.</p>

<p>Good morning!</p>

<p>Happy Father’s Day weekend to the dads! Alice, DH does the cooking here too, so even if I offered to cook, likely he would say no thank you. </p>

<p>We are taking a vacation in Lake Tahoe in August (we go every year and rent the house across the street from my Aunt and Uncle’s house and have a family reunion). Just got news that the rental is now “pet friendly”, which means Henry gets to come on vacation! We are very excited. </p>

<p>Hopefully S2 will go job-hunting today. I keep sending him leads, but he doesn’t seem to have any sense of urgency.</p>

<p>TGIF to the iPeeps! I’ve been on the road for 2 weeks & am looking forward to being home once again. Im looking forward to seeing S1 & S2 who have been holding down the fort, & Geriatric Dog, who will be overjoyed to see me. Dogs are great in that respect because they are ALWAYS happy to see you, whether you’ve been gone 10 minutes or 10 days. Be it ever so humble, there’s no place like home.</p>

<p>Sending special 60th anniversary wishes to YDS’s parents.</p>

<p>G#: wishing you & your DW a wonderful anniversary weekend at the beach.</p>

<p>Sending {{hugs}} to those who need them.</p>

<p>P56: Remember RobD’s hermaphrodite kitty? Tell your DS that “Rasputin” is sounding pretty good. ;)</p>

<p>Aliceinw - lol at your son. My kids couldn’t remember their SSNs to save their lives. I had mine memorized in college, but in those days, that’s what they used as your student number. S1 goes to the same school and it’s completely different now. I have H’s SSN memorized and also S1’s student number but there’s no way on God’s green earth they’ve memorized anything of mine!</p>

<p>Checking in from McD’s in Forth Worth, getting my wifi fix. </p>

<p>I’m stuck on what to do for Father’s Day. We always do breakfast in bed for dh, but we’ll be at my parents Sunday. So it feels like both he and my dad need a real present. </p>

<p>alice, the rain looks pretty bad in MN. Ds was pretty delighted with his grades. I continue to wonder why he gets higher grades in classes that aren’t his major. Still, overall his GPA went up, so life is good.</p>

<p>Dinner last night for my parents’ anniversary was nice. We spent more on that one meal than we do for a weeks’ worth of groceries. My cousin brought my godmother and her dh. It was so good to see them. I spent so much time at my godmother’s house growing up that I really consider her a second mom. In unfortunate news, I had to sit next to my BIL for the meal. Unbelievably, I made it through dinner with no alcohol.</p>

<p>Ds feels great, post-splint removal.</p>

<p>IL, hope your wife is doing well.</p>

<p>Hope everyone has a great weekend. Not sure when I’ll be back on, so Happy Father’s Day to G#, jb, IL, scu and vp if he’s lurking. Did I miss any dads? If so, have a great one, too!!! I feel so lucky to have such great virtual men in my life. … Uh, you know what I meant. :D</p>

<p>jbehland, we’ve experienced the “silence” about grades from BB2. Remember the 2:00am phone calls last January? He doesn’t want to know… he doesn’t want to know… he doesn’t want to know. But somehow, it’s a disaster when he does.</p>

<p>P56, we’ve been stuck trying to name both our cats AND dogs. Our cat went from Tiger to Tempest and from Misty to Mistake in no time. I think it’s because she “talks” so much that her name keeps evolving. In the end, it was just the tone of voice that mattered. Dogs, OTOH, really seem to know.</p>

<p>tx5athome, your vacation destination sounds so dreamy. It would be such a big deal to do that kind of trip for us east-coasters.</p>

<p>I’m all set with a present for DH, but I recently learned that BB1 is thinking of going away for the weekend. Hummm… maybe that would be a nice treat for DH!</p>

<p>So, BB2 has NOW been back for one full week. Has the dorm mountain lessened in that time? Nope. Our cleaning lady swept around the piles, but BB2 didn’t even think to ask for her help. He is supposed to start his internship on Monday. I warned him that he not only has to get his clothes organized, but also to reorient his sleep cycle by about 9 hours.</p>

<p>We’ll be on our cruise to Bermuda on Fathers Day, but since DH is the primary breadwinner that feels more like his gift to us. Bought him a shirt he wanted, a sweater that was on huge sale at the Brooks Bros outlet, a clock (he wanted one) and D got him some chocolate covered cashews. Wild times at the Lafalum house.</p>

<p>My house looks like we’re moving. The painters will be turning all our stained woodwork white while we’re away (it’s ok, I work with the painter’s wife so I’m not worried about our stuff. We don’t own anything valuable anyway :p) We had to take down all the curtains and blinds, and move all the furniture away from the walls so they can paint the baseboards. This will not be fun to come home to after the cruise! D is already scheming to spend a day after the cruise visiting a friend, hoping that by the time she gets home we will have re-assembled the house.</p>

<p>I just read the posts from the past week. This is a tough place to get behind.</p>

<p>IOL - I hope DW has received good results. I’m thinking of her and you.</p>

<p>Laf - Good news about your D’s friend.</p>

<p>p56 - I love G#'s suggestion of Voldemort! Hi nickname can be Morty.</p>

<p>scualum - Yay! for your son’s medical clearance!</p>

<p>Graduation congratulations to alice’s D, DB’s D, and jackie’s D! …and to anyone I missed!</p>

<p>Yay! for all the good grades posted!</p>

<p>G# - Happy Anniversary and enjoy the beach.</p>

<p>tx5 - Welcome home to S2…that seems really late.</p>

<p>Hi PNJ! I hope you are not missing S2 too much. {{Hugs}}</p>

<p>Waving to all!!</p>

<p>This is the first Father’s Day since 2001 that we won’t be en route to church camp with at least one of our Ss. We always went out to eat at a really nice restaurant near the camp with other parents after the drop-off, then spent the week as empty nesters. We’re going to have to make up some new traditions, I guess.</p>

<p>Waving to all ~~~</p>

<p>For Father’s Day, we got H a Keurig coffee pot. He’s wanted one for awhile. I don’t drink coffee, but am looking forward to trying apple cider.</p>

<p>TGIF. That’s all I have to say about THIS work week. :p</p>

<p>Going to into the city tomorrow shopping - spending a little birthday money, and looking for a local pageant dress for D15. Thinking lunch at Red lobster. :)</p>

<p>LAF: Enjoy your Bermuda Cruise !! :)</p>

<p>P56: How’s the new kitty? I found kittens in our shed. Someone else’s Simese cat seems to have a set every year at our house. I usually find them on the front porch. :slight_smile: (And follow up with dishes of milk…) They are so cute.</p>

<p>G#: Happy Anniversary ! </p>

<p>Received our “financial aid” package (interesting that’s what they call it…) in the mail today for next year. I’d like to enjoy summer a little before I have to think about it.</p>

<p>A present I got last year and enjoy every morning was a coffee bean grinder. For those who have coffee in the morning the flavor difference is significant. </p>

<p>This year I don’t want much. Neither kid will be home so a call would be high on the list.</p>

<p>Good morning and Happy Father’s day week-end :D</p>

<p>Coffee and goodies are ready. Enjoy!</p>

<p>Way way behind here, will not pretend to have read everything but certainly wishing the best to everyone on this beautiful week-end. </p>

<p>Cheers :cool:</p>

<p>good morning all…thanks for the coffee</p>

<p>i caved and joined pinterest…not absolutely sure about it yet…but some interesting things on there…did it through twitter so i didnt have to change to that timeline thing on fb</p>

<p>have to hit the mall today and find a FD present</p>

<p>checkers…kitty is doing fine…still no name</p>

<p>Jhbehlend - we will be in NYC next week and D wants to buy a pair of Levi’s! What a coincidence. PM me your S’s name and I’ll make sure D and her friend ask for him.</p>

<p>DS shared his grades - 3.3 this semester. He received a c in a required math class. I’m just glad he got through it.</p>

<p>BUandBC…Thanks for the recap! Hope you’re doing well! ;)</p>

<p>LAF…I can’t wait to hear about the cruise and your house. </p>

<p>Limabeams…I’m all off-schedule just like your son. It always happens to me in the summer. I’ll stay up late reading or tinkering on the net and not get up until late the next morning. I have to force myself to adjust back next week because I have a professional development workshop I have to attend across town from 8-4 each day. </p>

<p>YDS…I didn’t know you were in my area; pm me if you’re free for coffee tomorrow morning. :)</p>

<p>footballmom…D memorized hers; S – not yet. I’m like you, I have mine and DH’s memorized. When DH was flying fighters in the military, I had to give his SS# all the time on base. He wouldn’t have the faintest clue what mine is though. </p>

<p>12rmh…So glad you’re home! Hope all is well and you can enjoy your newly remodeled bathroom. </p>

<p>G#…Enjoy your anniversary at the beach!</p>

<p>HaPpy FaTHer’S DaY!!!</p>

<p>Happy Saturday. :)</p>

<p>S will need to begin working on dorm mountain today. D’s grad party coming up and I don’t think the center of conversation should be how much stuff is piled in the living room. </p>

<p>It’s a hot one today. A little more work for me leveling the patio (a few sections of sunken stones) then I can refill all the cracks and put the furniture back on it. Wish it was in the 70s instead of the 90s. :D</p>

<p>Received S’s financial aid for the fall. No surprises. Actually, that is a good thing as it could be worse. Still can’t wrap my head around how we’ll swing two kids in school for the next two years but one day at a time usually works best for me and my worrying gene.</p>

<p>I need to stop pretending I’m one of my kids, staying up really late to not miss out on the fun - but then needing to be up at 6am for work each morning. I am seriously dragging!</p>

<p>Happy Father’s Day to our wonderful dads on the thread and to our kind, loving, supportive, terrific husbands!</p>

<p>Ouch! This is how NOT to spend Father’s Day: kidney stones! I’m sitting here, on call, doing whatever to takes. Suggestions anyone?</p>

<p>On no Lima!! Do you have any pain killers? Percocet is the only thing that works for my step-dad. FYI: A good friend of mine (and fellow pharmacist) who is in her 30’s, gets kidney stones. I know they are incredibly painful! But two weeks ago she got a fever and chills and didn’t think anything of it, thought she had the flu, within a couple of days she had sepsis! and wound up in ICU. She is recovering now. The surgeon told her that if you are prone to kidney stones it is very important if you ever get fever and chills to go to the emergency room.</p>