<p>DD got admitted to Columbia University Teachers College! That is where she wants to go… She is graduating early (in December) and will start in the spring.</p>
<p>bopper-That’s exciting! Congrats to your D!</p>
<p>Thanks! I was half hoping she would stay at her current college for her masters but mostly so we wouldn’t have to move her.</p>
<p>Congrats to your d Bopper.
Is she the first in this thread to graduate??</p>
<p>Most likely as she is graduating a year and a half early due to IB credits.</p>
<p>Very quiet out here - have been away in Hong Kong this past week, but it was easy to catch up on this thread :)</p>
<p>Wonderful vacation + work in Hong Kong - was good to get away for a little bit. D was still able to text me and face time me a couple of times and that was nice. She had a very very busy week with 4 exams and a few projects. She thinks she did pretty well and now has a relatively quiet 2 weeks before thanksgiving.</p>
<p>Second year in a row - she wanted us to change her wed thanksgiving ticket to a tuesday. I was able to find a cheap fare for tuesday - so booked that and am going to change the original ticket to some other time next year (bought using frequent flyer miles, so I can change it!).</p>
<p>She’s been applying/looking around for internships for summer - has a few nibbles, but nothing concrete yet. A friend’s son is a computer science major, a senior this year and has already had several offers for a job for next year!</p>
<p>D flew up to NY this afternoon for an interview for a summer internship, and has another interview in NY next week. She is very excited. Hoping one of these 2 work out for her. It would be great to have an offer before Thanksgiving.</p>
<p>Arisamp, one of d’s senior friends ( cs major too) has an offer from Microsoft. Over 6 figures as a starting salary, signing bonus, guaranteed raise for the next 4 years. I think they wanted him out of the job market before Apple, Google etc got to him. This kid is amazing!</p>
<p>Bopper–congrats to your DD!</p>
<p>Sally22–here’s hoping our kiddos have wonderful offers next year like your D’s senior friend! Wow he sounds amazing!</p>
<p>Sally22 - good luck to your D! </p>
<p>I think comp science majors are doing very well right now. My friends’ son has offers very similar to the one that sally posted. Both H and I work in the same field and I know I’ve made a similar offer to a college hire as well. Both no, both our kids do not want to think of majoring in comp science :(</p>
<p>My S is making me nervous. He has a heavy course load and is TA’ing a class, so is waiting until Thanksgiving to do his summer co-op job search. He is in a comp sci field; I hope he is not leaving it too late. However, he has taken complete ownership of the situation and tells me he knows what he is doing, he will sink or swim on his own.</p>
<p>Bajamm – I have a brother-in-law who is Cuban. He was evacuated from there when he was a teenager and Castro was coming into power. His parents eventually were able to get out. There are a few Cuban restaurants in our area and we cook Cuban dishes sometimes. He has never been back, but hopes to return some day for a visit. I hope your D gets to go; not many Americans are able to do that.</p>
<p>mamabear, I wouldn’t worry about a comp sci major waiting on the summer co-op search. D1 started her search for last summer in the spring and ended up with a few offers. The big heavy hitter places–Google, Microsoft, etc etc–and a few others start looking for summer interns in the fall, but many many many many other firms won’t be looking and interviewing until early next year. Is he studying for tech interviews? I’ve been amazed to learn that there are actually books that help with that.</p>
<p>D got an offer for a summer analyst internship on Wall Street, she is very excited!</p>
<p>Congratulations to Sally’s D. What a great opportunity!</p>
<p>My S1 is looking for internships and so far, he has had only one interview with a well-known internet router company a few weeks ago. He did not think he did well at the interview. :(</p>
<p>I am glad to hear many companies are recruiting students next semester. S1 has applied to many large companies. His roommate and some classmates have gotten offers from those companies.</p>
<p>SlitheyTove-are tech interviews for comp sci major only?</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Congrats to your D! That’s great news and sounds like a great opportunity.</p>
<p>sunnydayfun, I have no idea if there are tech interviews for non-comp sci majors. Or at least for non-programming jobs. It’s pretty amazing to me to compare what interviews are like nowadays with what they were like 30-some years back!</p>
<p>sally22 - congratulations to your D!</p>
<p>Slithey, I had no idea there are tech interviews! His school is quite helpful in the job search, so I hope he is taking advantage of their services. I’ll ask him at Thanksgiving.</p>
<p>Yes, congrats sally22.</p>
<p>It does seem like there are plenty of jobs and internships for comp science majors. Not so easy for the others. D said she has an interview scheduled for next week - she’s very excited about this one. Keeping my fingers crossed for her - please send good mojo her way!</p>
<p>^^ Good luck to arisamp’s D on her upcoming interview.</p>
<p>Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. We are heading out to visit DS at his study abroad home this semester in Edinburgh. We are meeting him in London for the weekend and also celebrating DD’s 18th birthday. We will then takie the train north to spend next week in Scotland. No college apps, essays or visits for a week for DD-2014! She is very happy to be stepping away for a week. :)</p>