Parents of the HS Class of 2013

<p>It is VEISHEA week at Iowa State University. And My kid will be there for it next year…oh my…lots of fun but the drinking…oh my…reading the #Veishea tweets…oh my.</p>

<p>Concerts from 6pm-2am Thurs - Sat.
Pancake Feeds on the campus lawn from 12 midnight - 3am Friday and Saturday nights!
Residence Hall population swells from 10,000 students to 20,000 people from Thur-Sunday as students from across the midwest come to ISU.</p>

<p>Wife and I will be attending Saturday for the fun and games.</p>

<p>Haystack- Sounds fun! Must be some good concerts to bring in 10,000! What a party! And midnight pancakes. :p</p>

<p>Greetings all! D13 will head out tomorrow to visit both Colleges left in play. College A just sent an email asking if they can do anything to help us with our decision. We plan on letting them know about the financial gap. Do you think we should tell them the actual name of school B? School Bs FA package is so good, it’s better than our state flagships offer (which gave her their highest scholarship/full tuition).</p>

<p>For those wondering about Senioritis, my daughter showed me this video last night.
[Raising</a> Awareness: Senioritis - YouTube](<a href=“Raising Awareness: Senioritis - YouTube”>Raising Awareness: Senioritis - YouTube)</p>

<p>I’m freaking out. My D got an email from FAFSA that said a Financial Aid Administrator made a correction to her form. I didn’t know schools could make corrections. It didn’t say what school or what the change was. We sent the FAFSA to 4 schools, but the one we enrolled at said specifically do not make any changes to your FAFSA after final awards are made. To contact the school with changes.</p>

<p>TVenee – the rule of thumb that I’ve heard concerning that type of FA negotiation goes something like this: if school B is a “peer institution” of school A, then name dropping is a good idea – the logic being that these two schools are used to battling it out for students, and dislike “losing” to each other. On the other hand, if school B would be considered much lower on the prestigiousity scale, school A is unlikely to be motivated to match their offer, so best to keep the name a secret. Unless school A asks outright, and then what can you do?! It’s definitely worth a try – good luck!</p>

<p>TVenee - the three colleges we have asked for reconsideration (two private, one public) had a process which required you to fill out a form naming the types of scholarship or need-based aid with copies of the offer letters. Not sure how it works if you sit down in person with a finaid officer. I assumed that private A would want to compete with the offer from public B because they are similarly ranked - but they didn’t budge. Public B (OOS) on the other hand bumped up the offer when presented with Public C (IS)'s offer - those schools were closely ranked as well. Good luck! I keep hearing that Sy Sym’s catch phrase “an educated consumer is our best customer!” in my head!</p>

<p>S had his choices narrowed down to 2 schools. There was a $9000/year gap between the two. He called the more expensive school and asked if they could do better on the merit aid. They did come up with another $2000 but in the end the extra loan amounts over the 4 years just didn’t sound appealing so he picked the less expensive school. We didn’t have to provide any information and I’m not sure if he let them know of the other school in the running or not.</p>

<p>Congratulations on your S’s decision Steve! What a relief - right?</p>

<p>Oh, almost forgot that I am on the morning shift on the SS. Sorry.</p>

<p>Serving fresh ground coffee today after having some problems with over-serving yesterday’s chardonnay…</p>

<p>Also, some healthy stuff - freshly sliced fruit, Greek yogurt and granola.</p>

<p>Kennedy2010–it’s nice to be done, times 2 kids :D. They registered for classes last week even. They are having a hard time staying motivated to study now though. AP testing and then they are done…all of their AP tests are in the first week of May so they will have 3 weeks of nothingness before graduation :D.</p>

<p>Steve - phew, I know the feeling (only times 1 kid though). My D has 5 weeks after AP until graduation! I figure that the grades they have now in their classes are basically their final grades for the semester…which is also somewhat of a relief since she is doing ok. (although 2 of her A’s have dropped to B’s - eh)</p>

<p>Although I have reminded Devil Child that senioritits is not a recognized medical malady, it has hardly seemed necessary. He has APs til their bitter end but then only one additional week of school before graduation. I’m just trying not to transfer all of my grade management (sic) issues to DS15.</p>

<p>SOG - that’s how it should be! APs should lead right up to graduation. My D defines senioritis as the weeks between APs and graduation - with maybe a little bit (undefined)of time leading up to that…</p>

<p>My D has 15 days left and several of them are taken up with AP tests…she already knows that her APs are not going to be all that helpful at her new school in terms of credits or pre-reqs so she will take the exams but I am not sure how focused she is going to be. Her prom is basically in the middle of the exams - who ever scheduled that definitely didn’t have a kid in an AP track. At this stage of the game I have asked her to maintain grades…c’est la vie.</p>

<p>momofboston, same story here. our seniors get 2 weeks to do an “independent senior project” (which is often just fluff) and their graduation is 10 days BEFORE school ends for the rest of the school and on SAT Saturday. You would think it wouldnt take rocket science to make some better decisions there…</p>

<p>We have AP’s, and then “community study” for three weeks, which is basically finding someone to shadow (hopefully in a field you are interested in). S is shadowing his tennis coach so that shouldn’t be too taxing LOL. Then another week of nothing before graduation. And graduation is the Monday night of my 9th grade S’s finals week - again, not such great planning…</p>

<p>re: asking colleges for reconsideration:
Don’t you think it will be just for this one, first year? I would be afraid that the colleges will promise me more aid for freshman year and then back to square one after that.
Anyone with experience?</p>

<p>Kelowna, would this be for merit or financial aid? My D’s college specifies the conditions of merit (negotiable) and guarantees financial aid to remain the same for 4 years unless something on our side changes.</p>

<p>We have SEVEN weeks between APs and graduation. Absolutely absurd.</p>

<p>Kelowna - we had the same concern, but ended up not asking as the “best” offer really was the “best” offer for more than financial reasons</p>