<p>I just checked on all the statuses of D14’s apps (common app ones). The problem we have is that our high school uses Naviance, and they uploaded the transcript and teacher recos but the colleges do not see them or cannot download them. yippee.</p>
<p>So…I emailed all the colleges, and one of them said to send them paper copy. Awaiting to hear from the others if they will extend EA deadlines as well. </p>
<p>Thanks all. S3 did call both schools today. One said he should hear something by the end of the week (ie email with directions to set up portal). The second said he should look for something by the end of the month (this is RD so I’m not really concerned). The key is receiving the confirmation emails from CApp for the application and supplement if applicable. As long as you’ve received those you know you’re okay on CApps end. We haven’t experienced any issues with CApp yet. His school does not use it to submit/link teacher LORs so this removes one step that can glitch. </p>
<p>For schools that delay their EA/ED deadline by a significant time (GT is 3 weeks), I wonder if their decision date is also pushed forward? It will be interesting to see if this is more the exception or a lot of schools move EA/ED deadlines, and by how much.</p>
<p>If I were an admissions counselor, I would definitely be considering adding an optional essay via the school’s own website in case CA is down next year too. </p>
<p>So glad this is my last kid going through the process. Almost done. 6 down; 5 more apps to submit; 4 are CA.</p>
<p>Our DS’s College Counselor gathered the seniors together today and informed them that the Naviance-Common App. connectivity was down and they were not able to upload the LORs, etc. right now. She said it was a nation-wide issue and that she did not know when it would be resolved.</p>
<p>Classof2015 - I am SO with you on that!!! This is our caboose. Four more to submit, three CApp, two EA, two RD. All apps & supplements filled out, it’s just a matter of essays. I know scores are there (requested in September and showing up at all schools where portals have been set up), I personally mailed one set of LORs a week ago and the second on Saturday. The only unknown is when the GC will send her letter and the transcript (all have been requested and paid for). It’s going to be like watching paint dry waiting for those to show up in the next two weeks at EA schools. I realize there may be some grace, but his app won’t be complete/read until everything is there.</p>
<p>Hi everyone! I haven’t posted in forever and need to catch up! After my 8-month battle, I finally was able to get Cheergirl a “formal” Section 504 plan at school (she’d been given informal accommodations for years). Submitted application for ACT extended time the next day and approved less than a week later! Tough road but taught my daughter to not give up when you believe in something! (And ACT score went from 26 to 33-yay!)</p>
<p>Cheergirl about to submit Indiana app and we have a weird question…she copied and pasted a Word file for her personal statement and quotation marks turned into weird upside down question marks! Is this normal? Should we leave it alone or is there some way to “fix” it?</p>
<p>CONGRATULATIONS KaMaMom!!! So happy for your family! Hoping for the same result, everything submitted except the September ACT results. </p>
<p>Have you visited Indiana? We keep trying but haven’t managed yet (need to fly). BUT Indiana came to us (hotel in DC) last weekend and enjoyed an awesome presentation!</p>
<p>@cheermom … IU is our state flagship. We’ve been there lots … DD14 has been there for debate meets and such - even our DD15 spent two weeks there this summer in their theatre program. </p>
<p>Is IU cheergirls first choice? It really is a GREAT school in a GREAT college town.</p>
<p>Good news today at our house. First acceptance is in, University of Minnesota, College of Biological Sciences.</p>
<p>Best of luck to all fighting the common app; we are not doing any common app schools ED/EA, but it sounds like it’s brutal. We will face some earlier deadlines for scholarship consideration.</p>
<p>Congrats to KaMaMom and Dave_N on the acceptances. I know it gives a huge sigh of relief. </p>
<p>Three of d’s apps are through Common App/Naviance - one we sent a pdf of grades and recs. The two others aren’t super high on her list so to tell the truth, with an acceptance in hand I’m not as stressed about those going through. </p>
<p>We’re planning on going and seeing the school where she was accepted. She’s been seriously studying the website now - looking at the required curriculum, clicking through majors and seeing the suggested course of classes, housing, and even college *******. Going to see a school as accepted feels different than going when you’re deciding if you’ll apply and wonder if you’ll get in. I also want her to sit in on a class, we just need to decide which class would make sense. I’d like to compare apples to apples at different schools.</p>
<p>Any suggestion - would you do a major class? Freshmen or sophomore level?</p>
<p>Congrats to KaMaMom and Dave_N!!! I remember with D, once you get that first acceptance, the stress level in the house goes WAY down :)</p>
<p>cheermom – could you try cutting and pasting her essay into notepad (PC) or textedit (mac)? That’s what common app suggests to avoid formatting glitches. And good work getting her officially designated with a 504 plan. S has had one since age 5 and I don’t know what he would have done without it.</p>
<p>blueiguana – when all apps are in, you and are going to mix a mean pitcher of margaritas for everyone to share. Or you and I will share one and we’ll make another pitcher for everyone else :)</p>
<p>Congratulations on the new acceptances!! :)</p>
<p>Co2015, agreed. I think possibly both. I just read two articles about the doomed CApp (NYT and Forbes). Seriously gave me a migraine. I try not to bother S3s GC unless absolutely necessary but I sent an email asking if the glitch between Naviance and CA was going to cause a problem submitting her forms and transcript for the 11/1 deadlines. I’m sorry, I just don’t want to wait around two weeks to know that it’s not effected, they have an alternate plan, or Gee we’ll get right on that. I can’t imagine the third, I love our GC. I just want some assurance that there’s a plan to get this stuff there by 11/1. If he requested 10/25, I could see a delay. Everything was in 10/1, even for RD schools.</p>
<p>haha about the censorship. Congrats to those with acceptances. I’ll be happy when DS gets an app in. We just learned that his school is requiring the students to connect Naviance with the common app for the first time, so that’s stressing me out more. They are having a presentation on that on October 23 (!) but with Nov 1 deadlines looming, that’s way too late. We need to talk to the counselor asap. I’m especially stressed because both of DS’s teacher recs are no longer at the HS, and I have no idea how to get their recs in if it has to go through Naviance. :-o</p>
<p>As for which class to visit, with DS1 we tried to pick a class that would be required for his major but that he would be able to place out of with an AP class – that way he’d know what was going on in the class. Although he did look at teaching style/quality, I reminded him that those things were going to vary widely. It was more important to see whether kids were engaged or playing computer games, checking facebook, etc. For safeties where he was concerned about the pace of education, he did pay attention to that as well. Good luck!</p>
<p>mathmomvt – re: linking CA to Naviance – the school said they were going to have everyone do it in class, but when we met with GC Oct 8, S said he hadn’t done it yet, so we sat there and gave GC S’s log ins to CA and Naviance and he linked them. So honestly, I bet you could do it yourself???</p>
<p>He listed all S’s schools on Naviance (whether they were CA schools or not) then asked S to do an email from Naviance “Hi Mr. LOR1 I really enjoyed being in your class thanks for helping me with my apps” kind of thing and once that was SENT, the teacher knew to upload the LOR.</p>
<p>But I just emailed GC this morning asking him: what’s plan B if the LOR part doesn’t work?</p>
<p>OK so I am way behind but if you want to send multiple ACT scores ( separate testing dates) to a school do you have to pay for each date? If I want to send two scores to a school do I have to pay $24? and and order them separately? I have composites that are the same but with some big variance within. I ordered the SAT scores and each report to a school was one fee but the ACT site is different.</p>
<p>Mrspepper – I had the same question and that’s what I did (sending multiple ACT testing dates to one school). You end up entering your credit card info 3 times (if your kiddo took the test 3 times and you want to send all scores to one school). Not very efficient method.</p>