Parents of the HS Class of 2016 (Part 1)

@dyiu13 When we flew my D out to school way back when, we rented a minivan like the one we had back home. It was large enough for everyone’s luggage plus what we picked up at BB&B and Target. We might have made out okay with an SUV but if I remember correctly, the cost was the same or cheaper and it was just convenient since we had a van back at home and knew everything would fit. This time we have rented a large 4 door sedan with a good sized trunk. S won’t have as much. However, if we were driving, we would probably have more stuff.

@dyiu13, as an SUV driver (snowy winters + 4 kids makes this necessary), I recommend renting an SUV–much easier to maneuver than a U-Haul. We own both an SUV and a van. Like @midwest67, @PAO2008 and @mommdc say, a van with fold-down/removable seats (like an Odyssey) has much more room than an SUV. You could leave in both front seats and one captain chair in the middle row. That would hold so much stuff that I don’t think you’d need another car. You wouldn’t be able to fit a lot more in a dorm room unless you’re furnishing an apartment.

A normal (non-U-Haul) van! I like this the best. Now, to find a place to rent.

@dyiu13 go through Kayak or one of the comprehensive sites and compare prices. They’ll give you an idea of the make and model likely to be rented to you. You’ll find that it’s cheaper to pay when you reserve than when you pick up, but either will get you the size car you want. Taxes and fees are sometimes as much or even more than the total of the rental itself, so be aware of tht, but your search should give you totals and spell out what the cost breakdown is.

Seems to me we had a small suv for D14’s move in. It fit her luggage and all the stuff we bought at the local Target just fine. But we weren’t bringing a TV or mini fridge or big storage things for under the bed. minimalism is the way to go. You can always add more later if it’s really necessary.

I was trying to talk to D about how we get everything she needs from Hawaii to Boston, and she says, “So long as I have sheets and a coffee maker, I’ll just acquire as needed from there.” Obviously, she is not ready for big time planning yet.

When I think back to what I really used in, say, summer programs at colleges, when I was traveling light, it was pretty basic. Kind of like what it seems parents of sons say they pack. At the time, some casual clothes (plus a dress), a nightgown and robe, a swimsuit, a purse, a typewriter and paper, some reference books, a desk lamp, a clock-radio, some spiral notebooks, a camera, bedding, and toiletries. Now, a smartphone and laptop covers some of that stuff. What else does a student need, really?

If I needed some item, the local store had it. I still have the plastic trash can bought at Harvard Co-op. :slight_smile:

@palm715 DD and I will make a first big step towards moving to Boston. We are going to shop for snow boots with UGGs gift card and 30% sale they are having now. If salesperson will not laugh in our face it is.

And check the rules on coffee maker. I know that toasters are not allowed at D’s dorms.

Most colleges have a list of allowed items and items that are not allowed . I can’t remember every items but pretty common things I remember that were not allowed toasters, hot plates, halogen lights , George Forman grills. I need to double check mine to start purchasing things before they get gone. I know that they only allow certain types of extension cords. Each school is different.

@carolinamom2boys check surge protectors too. I know my college doesn’t allow the multi prong type, only the strip type. And how you can hang things on walls. I know the first year hall at RSC has very large cork boards painted white on the walls where you can use tacks.

My son wants to take his longboard with him instead of a bike. The campus is relatively small. We noticed other kids on longboards during one of our campus tours.

Prom last night. Such fun. The kids had a great time. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it @bookmom7

@palm715 we’re flying MN > ASU and will get clothes, laptop etc in two checked bags and one carry-on each (free, the way I booked with miles). then we rent car and will do other stuff in town, including some ship to store pickup (BB&B or Target). D is very low maintenance too – and we don’t know yet if she needs to buy/rent small frig. or anything else yet …

D16’s dorm doesn’t permit even coffee makers, including Kerigs (sp?).

As a someone from the cold, great North, I might urge students attending college in snowy regions to forgo UGGs. They are not slush-and water-proof, look trashed almost immediately, trend-wise are so “over,” and have no traction or arch support for lots of walking. They’re nice If you’re in a car and need warm feet. YMMV

If one is aiming for good snowboot brands: LL Bean, Sorel, North Face, Columbia, Timberland, Merrel, Blondo.

@MidwestMomTo2 fortunately for you shorts, tank tops and flip-flops don’t take up much luggage space! Although, I suppose your D will need at least one bulkier outfit for those trips home. :smiley:

We, too, are planning a day to shop locally for bulkier items, although I’d like to purchase easy to pack items between now and then if they are on sale. And, as others have mentioned, we’ll be taking advantage of Amazon Prime.

We have an excursion that, I think without the very back seats could fit a small house in it :wink:
3 1/2 to 4 hours car ride so, I believe we will get everything to fit in 1 trip.
Dorm room comes with a combo mini-fridge/ microwave- 1 less bulky thing to worry about too!

Don’t envy you all trying to figure out long plane rides, packing, etc. Good Luck!

Also, Target ships for free over $25 and free for less if you have a Target card. We are planning to order ahead and pick up or ship a lot of stuff from Target.

I agree with @dyiu13, especially in cities where snow turns to slush, warm waterproof boots would be best, and treat them with boot protector spray for salt stains.

Actually UGGs have a snow boots line made out of waterproof leather with traction control outsoles. As far as trends- it a snow boots. How trendy can they get?