Parents of the HS Class of 2018 (Part 1)

Speaking of cars, after writing several days ago about my SUV with 266,000 miles, I put an ad on our local Craigslist and sold it the next day. $-) D is starting to bug me about buying another car that she can drive to school. I’m going to try and hold off as long as I can.

My D has lots of friends that are boys, but I don’t think she’s had any BF’s. And I’m OK with that. :wink: Occasionally, she brings a friend or two or three over, but I believe she’s embarrassed by my very existence. :))

OK, need Common App help …

This is already done. But the guidance counselor is now saying my DD doesn’t appear in her Common App portal and to doublecheck that she is a recommender. She IS. I sent her a screenshot, and asked the CA to re-send her invitation a couple times already. The email address is right.

Any thoughts?

Hmm, there was ‘something’ that my S checked to give the gc access to the common app, I guess so she could review his application for him. We hadn’t noticed it the first several times he worked on his application. It was near the gc info’s box where you see the gc progress on document submission. Maybe that interfaces differently with a gc than an invitation for a LoR and that what the gc is looking for.

OK, I did click on that now and fixed it. Before we had it where she could not preview the application. Maybe that had something to do with it?

idk, hope so!

Oh my GOD.

Just got word from the guidance counselor (working from home, I’ll give her that) that the school uses two email domains. Based on the domain on the application, it went into one of two CA portals. She will check to see if the invite is in the other portal (which she apparently hasn’t been checking) tomorrow and let me know.

Everyone else’s invite was sent to the same one hers was sent to and they managed to get theirs. This is the same school that can’t get the students’ emails to work.

Good grief. I mean, seriously. This is so stupid. The IT department at the school sucks.

@bearcatfan That’s absurd! Why would the GC not be checking both emails?! And why on earth would the school have two domains? Talk about muddying the waters.

ugh, even if they had two domains why wouldn’t they set up the one they don’t use to forward to the one they check?

H says we shouldn’t bring the whole family to walk around in the rain. So it might be just D and I going on the college visit.

I hate driving long stretches in the rain in unfamiliar areas. I might have to recruit a driving buddy.

@Macmiracle, GPS is your friend. Hopefully the rain won’t be that bad.

But I have fond memories of our visit to IUP this summer and getting totally soaked. I’m glad we went!

@MACmiracle If we could drive, we would, but we are flying and don’t want to get suck anywhere.

FAFSA question. Should we submit the form only after applying to colleges or can we list the colleges and then not apply to some of them. S18 still hasn’t zeroed in on the list of colleges.

@pantha33m I think your weather will be worse than ours. I wish you smooth travels!

One college app submitted. Another four ready for review tonight. Chugging along over here!

Well, morning swim practices started for D this week. She leaves the house at 6:00am and comes home between 6-7:30pm. I had hoped she’d get all of her college apps submitted before this crush started, but three are still hanging out there. :-<

Oh I have a lot of sympathy for you @ShrimpBurrito ! When my D was heavily involved with swim, she would come home exhausted and go right to sleep. I don’t see how your D can start off her day that way.

I don’t know how she does it either, @melvin123. She’s acquired some pretty impressive time management skills these past few years.

@ak200008, I think you can list some and not apply to them.

@ShrimpBurrito, D has been busy with xc every day, and with her music EC as well. She left the house this morning at 7 and won’t get home until after 10.

ANNNNDDDD, she has yet to submit an app, first one is due in 10 days. :!!

DMV redux: S’s saga with the DMV continues. We rescheduled his appointment for this morning, made double sure we had all of our documents, and both of us went with him because the paperwork said we both have to sign off on the liability clause and we thought we had to sign in front of them.

Two weeks ago, they wouldn’t let S test because he was using his passport for ID. They said to bring a birth certificate, so we did.

They wouldn’t accept his birth certificate because there’s a flaw in the ink obscuring roughly the top third of the first two letters in his middle name. The birth certificate has been good enough for everything else we’ve used it for, including getting the freaking passport they wouldn’t accept the first time.

8-|

Written tests at our DMV are by appointment only, and it takes two weeks to get an appointment. The docs they want to establish CA residency are mostly in DH’s name, and DH will be out of the country on business during the next available appt. time.

The guidance counselor found her Common App invitation in her OTHER portal, where it has been since 9-1. 8-|

When this is done, I’m going to write a stern note to the principal that staff should only have one domain. The one and only domain I’ve ever gotten teacher emails from - including the GC - is the one she put on her CA. Why are there two?!?! This is the same HS that can’t keep its wifi on, and has yet to figure out how the freshmen can access their school email accounts.

I impressed upon her the importance of getting it done today. I don’t care what your deadline is according to the CA. It’s been sitting there since 9-1 and it is NOT my daughter’s fault that you didn’t realize you had two portals. ~X(