Pelosi Comments - What's behind them?

<p>Nancy Pelosi said that there won't be a Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton "dream" ticket. Here's the link from Fox, but it was also on ABC, lest you have a problem with Fox.
Pelosi:</a> Clinton-Obama ‘Dream Ticket’ Is Fantasy - America’s Election HQ
What do you think is the reason for Speaker Pelosi's opinion?</p>

<p>She wants the shot</p>

<p>I think she's privately for Obama but has pledged public neutrality and this is a way for her to dispel the idea that by voting for Clinton, people would get Obama, too. It's a way to support Obama without endorsing. Just a guess though.</p>

<p>The top Dems are walking a fine line.... Pelosi, Edwards, etc.</p>

<p>Nancy is just being honest.</p>

<p>Obama would be foolish to join HC's team or invite her to join his. Edwards will be a likely #2 for Obama. HC might even be able to convince John to join her if she wins the #1 role.</p>

<p>He should tap Edwards as his VP already, it will likely help him with the remaining states.</p>

<p>I don't think Edwards will be tapped. He has too few years in government, which makes him open to the same inexperience tag that anti-Obama charge Obama with. Plus he can't be guaranteed to carry his own state of NC. So he really doesn't have a compelling argument to take the VP slot.</p>

<p>I keep thinking of someone like a John Warner or someone similar - maybe even a Sam Nunn type. Bill Richardson might be another interesting choice. But he has to shave first.</p>

<p>Obama-Easley '08. I think Speaker Pelosi recognizes that the Obama campaign and the Clinton campaign are orthogonal at this point, at least with respect to the general direction of Democrats, and as such there's not much of a chance of a pairing...</p>

<p>1) I think Obama needs to nominate a foreign policy guru (Bayh from Indiana?)</p>

<p>2) I think even Pelosi realizes, as many democrats have whispered, that having the first woman + first black man on the SAME ticket might be a little too much change at this point.</p>

<p>3) The campaign has gotten way too ugly for them to come together and appear legitimate.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>If Obama is looking to sell himself as the agent of change, I think it is highly unlikely that he will choose an elderly <em>Republican</em> for his running mate.</p>

<p>Lax - it might work to have the first black candidate and second woman VP candidate on the ticket, but only if it's the RIGHT woman. At this stage, I totally agree with your point 3) that it can no longer be Sen. Clinton and have any legitimacy. Nor can it be Rep. Pelosi. But there are others...</p>

<p>Meantime - McCain has similar issues to deal with. Romney has expertise in certain areas that McCain doesn't; Huckabee has connections in areas that McCain doesn't... And - natch - there are other Republicans out there...</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>I think Obama will want to maximize his chances of success by choosing a white male running mate. There are a lot of voters out there who have secret or not-so-secret doubts about accepting either a black man or any woman on a presidential ticket. To ask them to accept both at once may be more change than several million fence-sitters are willing to swallow, and they'll run to the nice, safe, familiar white guy - McCain.</p>

<p>As for which white male, I really don't know. But I'd suggest some nice, well-thought-of Democratic governor. Maybe Evan Bayh or somebody like that.</p>

<p>Agree w/momof2inca</p>

<p>
[quote]
Meantime - McCain has similar issues to deal with. Romney has expertise in certain areas that McCain doesn't; Huckabee has connections in areas that McCain doesn't... And - natch - there are other Republicans out there...

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I think the safe bet for McCain is picking Romney. </p>

<p>1) He is a Michigan man...in an election where Michigan is going to be one of the most contested states. </p>

<p>2) He's mormon and holds power out in Utah and Nevada. Utah will be republica but Nevada is another battleground state. </p>

<p>3) Together their "western" ties could help bring in other states, such as Colorado and New Mexico. </p>

<p>4) Most importantly Romney is seen as an economy man in an election that's showing the economy is far and away the #1 issue</p>

<p>I think Romney would be a great selection for a VP. Romney has great fundraising abilities as well.</p>

<p>However, you aren't remembering the fact that McCain hates Romney. The hatred was visible during all the debates.</p>

<p>^^I thought it was Huckabee who hated Romney? Maybe I misread the body language and verbal cuts. In any case the P and VP don't have to like each other in order to run together for the sake of political expediency. Remember JFK/LBJ in 1960?</p>

<p>True, though just today McCain said he'd be very open to a Romney VP</p>

<p>I think both Huckabee and McCain hate Romney.</p>

<p>I don't know if McCain hates Romney as much as he hates how he went pretty negative in the primary.</p>

<p>What about Bill Richardson for VP on an Obama ticket?</p>