Please guide me!

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I'm a gr11 student in Vancouver, BC. My goal is to attend a descent university in America.</p>

<p>Academic:</p>

<ul>
<li>86-88% year average for gr11 (sorry, but I have absolutely no idea how to convert that to GPA or "wGPA")</li>
<li>3 honors science classes</li>
<li>Self-studied for 3 AP science tests in gr11:

<ul>
<li>AP Chem test (5)</li>
<li>AP Physics test (3)</li>
<li>AP Bio test (4)</li>
</ul></li>
<li>Planning to take SAT, SAT II, and ACT. Willing to go all in on these tests if they improve my chances significantly. </li>
</ul>

<p>Extracurricular:</p>

<ul>
<li>Grade 5 Piano</li>
<li>50h volunteer at events and charities across vancouver, bc</li>
<li>Had a job (150-200 hrs)</li>
<li>President of computer mini for one semester</li>
<li>Webmaster (very popular sites and generate my own income)</li>
<li>Know CPR</li>
<li>Build computers :) (I'm also a script-kiddie)</li>
<li>Swim almost every day for 2 years now, take lessons every week. </li>
<li>Weight train every week.</li>
<li>Does martial arts (jiu jitsu ^^)</li>
</ul>

<p>Questions:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>I know my stats are not ideal for an applicant outside of US (i'm in canada), but let's say that I did really well for my SAT II's and SAT I. Will I have a good chance of getting into a good university? Or is it just too late now?</p></li>
<li><p>UC Berkeley and UCLA are my dream schools for now, but I know they're probably out of my reach, cause I'm not an OUTSTANDING student like some harvard fanatics out there. So I want to know, based on my stats and assuming that I do very well on SAT and SAT II's, what are the best universities I can get into??</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Thanks everyone!</p>

<p>If you are not looking for financial aid there are hundreds of colleges in the United States that would find your transcript strong, and would very likely accept you. My guess though is that the public Canadian colleges that would also accept you are stronger than those available to you in the United States.</p>

<p>The UC system (especially UC Berkeley and UCLA) is very competitive for out of state and international students -- with acceptance rates of 10%. The same holds, perhaps not to the same extent, for other strong State Universities (such as UVA, U of Mich. etc.).</p>

<p>hi</p>

<p>thanks for your answer.</p>

<p>If I goto the states, I want to at least get into a descent school like U.michigan or U.washington. If I get accepted into a 3rd rate place, I'd rather stay in canada and go to mcgill, cause canadian schools only look at gr12 marks and i can get like 96% if i go all out. </p>

<p>But considering my situation, and assuming I get really really good on my SAT and SAT II, do you think I have a good chance at descent universities? If so can you list some names please? thanks!</p>

<p>do you need financial aid? makes a huge difference to need aware schools.</p>

<p>Hello fellow British Columbian!
Which particular field are you interested in? For example there are top undergrad business schools at UVirginia and New York University and Notre Dame, although they are not considered "top" universities. "Decent" schools in your interest can be different from overall decent schools.</p>

<p>You're current average is not stellar.. and grade 11 is what universities look at!!
Can you approximate a class rank to help us put your grade in context?</p>

<p>@ViggyRam</p>

<p>No, I don't really need financial aid. My family isn't that rich, but we can definitely afford if as long as its not too unreasonable (like 100 000 a year or something).
But if I do apply for financial aid, will that affect my chances of getting accepted?</p>

<p>@StarsAligned </p>

<p>I'm leaning towards engineering right now.
And yea I know, my grades aren't that great xD. But the thing is, I had to spend most of my effort self-studying for all the AP sciences and SAT's. </p>

<p>If I didn't take AP's, my average would easily be over 90%. It's just that my school is messed up. It finishes teaching all the AP content long after the exams are over and the applications are already sent out lol. </p>

<p>As for my place in class, it really depends. For example, i'm HORRIBLE at french, i admit it. I got like 73 last term and it hurt me a lot. But on the other hand, I get great for math and the sciences and is probably top 5% of my class. 96% physics, 97% chem, 98% math, 87% bio (i know, not that great).</p>

<p>That brings up something I've been wondering about for quite some time. Do american universities only value grades in important classes? Or do they only look at the overall GPA? Like if I take really easy courses, I'd be getting a perfect GPA.</p>

<p>@ViggyRam</p>

<p>No, I don't really need financial aid. My family isn't that rich, but we can definitely afford if as long as its not too unreasonable (like 100 000 a year or something).
But if I do apply for financial aid, will that affect my chances of getting accepted?</p>

<p>@StarsAligned </p>

<p>I'm leaning towards engineering right now.
And yea I know, my grades aren't that great xD. But the thing is, I had to spend most of my effort self-studying for all the AP sciences and SAT's. </p>

<p>If I didn't take AP's, my average would easily be over 90%. It's just that my school is messed up. It finishes teaching all the AP content long after the exams are over and the applications are already sent out lol. </p>

<p>As for my place in class, it really depends. For example, i'm HORRIBLE at french, i admit it. I got like 73 last term and it hurt me a lot. But on the other hand, I get great for math and the sciences and is probably top 5% of my class. 96% physics, 97% chem, 98% math, 87% bio (i know, not that great).</p>

<p>That brings up something I've been wondering about for quite some time. Do american universities only value grades in important classes? Or do they only look at the overall GPA? Like if I take really easy courses, I'd be getting a perfect GPA.</p>

<p>What classes are you taking?</p>

<p>Bio Honors
Physics Honors
Chem Honors
Math 11
Infotech
French 11 (i suck)
Teacher's Assistant</p>

<p>Hey Jim,</p>

<p>Universities will DEFINITELY value how challenging your course load is. Make sure that the counselor emphasizes this because universities will usually understand if you have low marks due to an extremely hard course/teacher.</p>

<p>Also, applying for financial aid as an international to "decent" schools will HURT your application, because it is more competitive (although it doesn't matter for top schools like Harvard, Yale). Therefore, it will benefit you by not asking for finaid.</p>

<p>^^Are all your courses designed for Grade 11 students?</p>

<p>@StarsAligned</p>

<p>Ok I see. I guess I won't be applying for financial aid then XD</p>

<p>@happysunnyshine</p>

<p>uhm yea...cause I'm in grade 11? lol</p>

<hr>

<p>Can anyone give me an idea of my options here? What are the best universities that will accept me with my stats?</p>