Please look over my college list. High School Class of 2027 [CA resident, 2.8 GPA, 1110 SAT, little/no parent contribution]

Demographics

  • US domestic: US Citizen
  • State/Location of residency: California
  • Type of high school (or current college for transfers): Above-average Public
  • Other special factors: First Generation/Underrepresented Minority/Low Income

Cost Constraints / Budget Parents have said they likely won’t be able to provide any/much monetary support

Intended Major(s) History/Psychology/Philosophy/Asian Language(Chinese/Japanese/Korean)

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

  • Unweighted HS GPA: 2.8(should be bumped up a bit because of a grade change from qualifying AP Score in Pre-Calc, i.e D+ to C+ second semester)
  • Weighted HS GPA: 3.3(should also be bumped up for the same reason above)
  • College GPA: N/A
  • Class Rank: 249/521
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1110 SAT (retaking in October)

List your HS coursework

(Indicate advanced level, such as AP, IB, AICE, A-level, or college, courses as well as specifics in each subject)

  • English: English 9H, English 10H, AP Engl Lang
  • Math: Int Math IH, Int Math IIH, AP Pre-Calc, AP Stats(this year)
  • Science: Bio H, AP Bio, AP Enviro Sci, Dual Enrollment Biological Anthropology(A)
  • History and social studies: AP US History(D second semester but planning to retake during winter break), THIS YEAR: AP US Gov(1st sem), AP Macro(2nd sem), AP Micro(2nd sem)
  • Language other than English: Spanish I, Spanish II(D+/D grades), Spanish 2.1(taking this year, easier/more manageable version but still counts as second year of language)
  • Visual or performing arts: Dual Enrollment Art Appreciation (A), AP Art History(this year)
  • Other academic courses: Dual Enrollment Intro to Business (A), DE World Regional Geography/Business Law(two W’s), DE ASL I(got a D but then retook and got a FW)

Awards AP Scholar with Distinction, National College Board First Generation Recognition

Extracurriculars
(Include leadership, summer activities, competitions, volunteering, and work experience)

Hobby

Read romance and self-help books to explore different perspectives on love, challenge my own outlooks, and drive personal growth.

Family Responsibilities

Provided academic tutoring and emotional support for two younger brothers; served as a peer mentor to guide their personal growth and daily routines.

Foreign Language

Studied ASL vocabulary, sentence structures, and Deaf culture concepts.

Academic

Engaged in Chess, Economics, Environmental, Irrational Logic, and STEM clubs and completed the USABO exam.

Essays/LORs/Other
(Optionally, guess how strong these are and include any other relevant information or circumstances.)

AP Psych LOR: Probably going to be a 7-8/10

Counselor LOR: Likely an 8/10

Essays: Haven’t started but will likely be really good 8-9/10 because honestly, I have a unique perspective and have good writing ability(4 on Lang).

Additional Information Section: I have gone through deep environmental/personal issues that have hindered my ability to do the best in school. I will briefly explain this and highlight how I have recognized and began healing and restructuring my senior year schedule so that it is more manageable for me and shows my interests!

Schools

So far I have 12 universities currently on my list:

  • Safety: University of Maine(EA)
  • Match: University of Missouri-Colombia(rolling), University of Illinois Chicago (EA), University of Arkansas(EA), University at Buffalo(EA), University of Alabama(rolling), Temple University(EA),
  • Reach: University of Rochester(RD), University of Pittsburgh(rolling), University of Minnesota-Twin Cities(RD), University of Massachusetts Amherst(RD), Binghamton University(RD)

I like big public schools with beautiful campuses in a large urban setting, non-religous/lgbt friendly, study abroad opportunities, east coast.

I’m making this thread to ask about your opinions on my college list and which schools I should add or drop! I’m open to any responses, please be as honest as you like. I just want different perspectives.

Are you considering any in-state options in California?

2 Likes

I have but I would rather go to college in east coast.

1 Like

You can fill out the RAI section of the Iowa State and UIowa applications online and see if you qualify. If you do, you’ll find out immediately and have a safety in the bag.

3 Likes

It seems I don’t qualify sadly

The location wasn’t ideal for me anyway

It sounds like your budget will be your Pell grant (assuming you qualify) and the $5.5k first year federal student loan. Max Pell is $7,395. Run this SAI calculator and let us know the result. Federal Student Aid

Even though your parents won’t contribute to college costs, will they still fill out FAFSA? They must in order for you to access Pell grants and federal student loans.

I do not think any of your list will be affordable. Your stats aren’t high enough for schools that meet full need, like Amherst. Is there a community college that you can attend while living at home? That will likely be your best option to start with.

9 Likes

I’m not sure what this means $ wise but it tells me you will need to attend a community college or a Cal State and commute.

Schools like Maine or Bama aren’t urban and forget admissibility, most of these are $40k plus and a lot on the plus - ie over $50k. And that’s yearly.

$15k room and board is low and then there’s transport and more.

Sorry but you need a budget b4 you can be chanced but with no or little parent contribution, I don’t see a viable path. The 2.8 would then be the next issue if you could afford.

3 Likes

I would have to agree. Community college could be the best option for timeagain1 and with top AP scores as a Scholar with Distinction plus dual enrollment credits, s/he could complete the A.A. degree with a more competitive GPA in less than two years full-time and s/he wouldn’t necessarily need to remain in California. I was going to recommend Temple University, located in PA, but I’m not sure about the affordability.

Yes they will.

I honestly have no idea what this means, but I’ll run this and get back to you.

This option is personally not feasible for me.

I’ll try to have another conversation with my parents for specifics

How do you plan to pay for these colleges on the opposite coast from where you are a resident. As a non-resident of the public universities on your list, I don’t think any of them will provide you with a full free ride.

And in addition, I think acceptances to your reach schools are not likely…given your SAT score and GPA.

You are fortunate to live in CA. In my opinion, at least look at the community college options near your home. See where you would get auto transfer from those CCs. @Gumbymom can give more details about this option.

2 Likes

The most important thing to determine a college is budget. Desires aren’t what matters unless you can afford them. Without money, you unfortunately cannot.

Not east coast but you can cut costs by attending a WUE school like Reno or Portland State that would give you city access.

And some of your schools aren’t on your desired East coast

The four NC promise schools may be most affordable - low-mid 20s I believe. Plus getting there etc. and likely not overly selective. Urban - I don’t think. But Fayetteville is a small city with large military base so has a little heft.

“Additionally, nonresident students who entered NC Promise institutions before 2026 pay just $2,500 per semester. Beginning with students entering in 2026, nonresident tuition will be $3,500 per semester.”

Sorry

Please clarify your budget since California community colleges would be the most affordable and although most CCC students transfer to California universities, 2 years at CCC will give you time to work and earn more money to put towards a transfer to an OOS university.

If you are interested in the CCC to UC/CSU pathways, do not hesitate to ask.

The California promise could offer free tuition at the CC’s.

2 Likes

You really do need to figure out the finances as others have said. To answer your original question, there are only a few colleges apart from the ones you mentioned, U Pitt and UMass Amherst, to consider. I would look at Maryland and a SUNY, like Albany. The other publics are UVA, UNH, Vermont, UConn, but they are all rural and in small towns as well. The other publics in the southern states are not going to be LGBTQ+ friendly (imo).

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly how the finances work out (and the CC to transfer option will definitely be most affordable) but with a large budget constraint and your GPA, I think you should seriously be considering the non-impacted CSUs. Maybe not the urban east coast setting you want, but please at least apply to some of these as backups.

Btw, my student got into

and got awarded the highest OOS merit award, but the cost of attendance would still have worked out at something like $50k per year. From what you’ve said this is probably not affordable, and many out of states are likely to be similar.

Kid got no merit from Pitt and $5k from UMN, and stats were higher than yours, so I don’t think these two at least would be affordable either. Did not apply to others on your list. Please check the NPCs on each college website - many publics do not give much if any aid to OOS students and limit merit awards.

1 Like

i know you say that living at home for college is not possible, but the reality is that you are living at home now, and plan to continue living at home for another year, so even though I know that you want to move away from home, it may be the only way that you can get through college.

Unfortunately, your GPA and SAT do not put you in range of admission to schools that meet full financial need (and essentially, you need a full ride). Assuming that your parents have little to no income and assets, you might qualify for a PELL grant. Between PELL and the federal loan that you can take on your own, you are looking at perhaps 13K/yr available for college. That wouldn’t even cover dorm and food, let alone tuition at an out of state public.

Your best bet is to get as many “free” college credits as you can while in high school, so take as many APs as you can this year. Also, know that CLEP can be an option, too, once you decide on which college you will attend, because not all schools give credit for all CLEP exams. Once you have your college planned out, you can see what CLEP they’ll take, and self-study for those and take the exams for free with a voucher from Modernstates.org.

You could get through college by entering with a year’s AP/CLEP/Dual enrollment credit, a year at community college while living at home, and two years at your nearby California state college, living at home, all on your PELL grant (assuming you qualify) and your federal loan. Unfortunately, that’s really your only feasible option for college.

2 Likes

Agree with the others. Hate to pile on but first and foremost you need clarity on your budget.

If there is truly no (or minimal) parental contribution then CC is a great way to go. I understand it is not ideal, but it is affordable and can help you get a more competitive GPA for when you transfer to a four year college.

Your college list is flawed. Schools look to be unaffordable or not academically attainable with your current stats.

It is fine to want to head east. But my advice is to focus on finding an affordable way to complete a four year degree – even if it means staying out west. The east coast will still be there in four years.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Yeah, everyone so far has been saying the same thing and it just hit me, I don’t know how or what I am going to do. So, I have the 3 DE A’s from the community college near me, I got a 4 in Biology, Engl Lang, Pre-Calc, and Psych and a 3 in Environmental Science. The 2 in US History likely won’t help. I am taking AP Stats and AP Art History full year, AP Gov/AP Macro/AP Micro as well but they are semester classes. I am taking a Criminal Justice class that if I get a B in will articulate to another community college for credit. This year though I took a much easier load because I recognized my environment and my limits. I am retaking the SAT this October, that may help.

That is smart but it is just really hitting me, this is really not how I ever envisioned where I would be right now.

I don’t know, I just thought I would get high aid because of my parents income somehow.

1 Like

Your most realistic options are likely to be:

  • Starting at community college aiming to transfer to a CSU or UC. Note that CSU and UC transfer admission is based on your college (including dual enrollment) courses and grades; your high school GPA will not be considered.
  • A local non-impacted CSU that you can commute to.

How much financial in-state financial aid you will get based on your parents’ finances does affect your options, since you need close to a full ride.

Out of state state universities are unlikely to give enough financial aid to you, and a 2.8 GPA and 1110 SAT is unlikely to get full ride merit scholarships. Private schools that you are likely to be admitted to are unlikely to give good need based financial aid.

1 Like

You can run net price calculators. But note that state schools are often not generous with out of state students – they prioritize in-state students whose families pay taxes which support the college.
Consider yourself fortunate that CA has such a robust state college system.

2 Likes