I think I may have a solution. San Bernardino Valley College offers a housing program with CSUSB that I can take advantage of. It does require me to attend CSUSB after completing SBVC but I don’t mind that I guess. My low-income seems will completely waive tuition through the California College Promise Grant. I will most likely qualify for other grants/scholarships that can help with the housing (11-13K). It comes with everything the CSU has to offer for its own students. I do get a 5 meal house plan included, I could always just go home sometimes for meals/support if needed since it’s pretty close. What do you guys think? I will most likely work during that time to save up for CSUSB.
@timeagain1 — have you looked at where all the calstates are? If there is one you can commute to while living at home, that would be the cheapest option for you (assuming your application is accepted).
This would leave me with an estimated 5-6K / year out of my own pocket.
It’s good to look into it. I don’t believe the aid will cover housing but you can see. 5 meals a week - is far short of 21.
I don’t see it as an option - but if you work and can afford to pay what you need - then perhaps.
But what happens if you don’t earn enough to pay? It’s taking a risk.
I’m naturally conservative. If you are able to live at home and it’s safe, it’s the way to go.
Unless you can bring something to the table that’s free or near free, I don’t think the answer changes.
It’s a good find though - if they’re adjacent so you can walk.
But they say - * If accepted, have the ability to pay cost of housing - and they’ll likely want proof as in your parent’s bake statements or something.
But you are good at finding things - and it’s a good and worthy find that you can check further if you’d like. But yes, I’m biased against it.
I haven’t considered this, I’m hoping they will be sympathetic though, I’ll ask. I may try to get some outside scholarships through my district to help with the estimated remainings I would have to pay. I have time though, thankfully to explore other options, or just see where my situation goes from now
Please give some kind of verification of this. I’ve never heard of a public university requesting bank statements “ or something” (whatever that is). This is sometimes done with international students (as a condition if applying for their student visa…proof of ability to pay), but this student is not an international student.
The student would need to have the bill to attend paid…on time. That would be the proof if they are accepted and choose to attend.
Agree.
OP will be filing FAFSA if the family decides that loans are part of the college financing plans. Public colleges in California aren’t going “rogue” and demanding bank statements on top of the statutory requirements for Federal loans… the bills go out; they get paid then the student can register for classes, use the library, etc. Bill goes out and does not get paid- registration is put on hold. Very simple.
Sounds like a great solution if you can make it work financially.
Does it sound better to you than CC → UC?
You can apply to many different colleges then see what’s best. Having a choice is always better.![]()
Bingo. If the student doesn’t pay their bill, their registration is put on hold or at some point terminated, and the school can go to their waitlist and take another student.This (failure to pay bills) is a common cause of summer melt.
Here’s how they determine eligibility. I assume they have a requirement for what I’ve bolded. OP can call and ask. It may not just be making a payment on time - as it’d be locking up the room. But they would need to call and ask.
Am I Eligible?
To apply, students must:
- Be actively enrolled at SBVC at least 9 units
*If accepted, have the ability to pay cost of housing - Must be in Good Academic Standing (2.0 GPA or higher)
- Show interest in transferring to CSUSB after completing their studies at SBVC
Not necessarily, but this keeps me paying 3 times less the first two years with a housing plan than a 4-year. Really those are my priorities.
When are these usually due? I was thinking of utilizing the federal work study program at SBVC to help with the rest of finances
OP- do you know how to cook? And have you been responsible for any of the grocery shopping for your family?
These are two important ways to keep your living expenses down once you are out of your parents house. And since there are usually trade-offs (prepared foods are less time-consuming but cost more; a vegan diet is usually cheaper than a meat-heavy one but takes more time for planning and cooking), learning NOW is a good strategy for your “leaving home on a budget” campaign.
That’s smart. I don’t know how to cook much, and I haven’t gone grocery shopping. My parents like to take care of those things themselves. Thanks for the advice! It completely flew over my head.
This means…the student must assume the cost of housing. The college does not provide aid to do so.
Students (domestic) are not required to “prove” they have money in the bank to pay these housing costs. But they are responsible for paying them. That is what your boldface means.
@Gumbymom do CA public universities ask for bank statements…or other proof that the student can pay their bill…or what!
Paying for housing could be a problem for the OP who has no parental financial support to attend college.
If you get a federal work study award, you are paid just like any other job. You get paid once you have worked. You will not have work study earnings in time to pay your first semester bill, which will be due in the late summer.
And federal work study won’t earn you enough to pay about $15,000 in room and board costs. Federal work study usually isn’t more than a few thousand dollars per year…at the most.
All schools will use the information filed on the FAFSA. If they need verification, then bank statements could be considered.
This is what the SBVC program states about housing payments.
At San Bernardino Valley College (SBVC), how housing verification and payment are handled depends entirely on whether you are using the official Den2Den Housing Pathway Program (SBVC’s partnership with Cal State San Bernardino) or utilizing San Bernardino County assistance programs. (Verification of Enrollment — San Bernardino Valley College)]
1. The Den2Den Housing Pathway Program (CSUSB Housing)
Because SBVC does not have its own traditional on-campus dorms, it partners with California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB) to allow SBVC students to live in the Arrowhead Village residential community. (SBVC & CSUSB Launch Den2Den Student Housing Pathways Program — San Bernardino Valley College), (Den2Den Housing Pathway Program — San Bernardino Valley College)]
- How Eligibility is Verified: After you submit your housing application to SBVC, the college manually reviews and confirms your eligibility. To pass verification, you must be actively enrolled at SBVC in at least 9 units, maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher, and show intent to transfer to CSUSB. [1,(Housing Options — San Bernardino Valley College)]
- How Payment is Handled: Once SBVC approves your application, your data is forwarded to CSUSB. CSUSB will issue you a “Coyote ID” and login credentials to access the CSUSB Housing Portal. (Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) — San Bernardino Valley College), (Application Process — San Bernardino Valley College)]
- Using Financial Aid to Pay: Your billing and housing payments are managed directly through your CSUSB myCoyote account. You can utilize your SBVC financial aid package (such as Pell Grants or Cal Grants) to cover the housing and meal plan fees. Your SBVC financial aid office can coordinate your refund and award amounts to ensure they align with your housing balance. (Financial Aid Programs | Academic Catalog), (Application Process — San Bernardino Valley College), (Housing Options — San Bernardino Valley College)]
2. San Bernardino County Housing Programs (Section 8 / Vouchers)
If you are trying to verify your student status to receive county housing assistance, welfare benefits, or independent rental vouchers:
- How Enrollment is Verified: San Bernardino County programs will require official proof that you are a student to qualify for their housing benefits. You must coordinate this through the SBVC Admissions & Records Office (AD/SS-100). (Verification of Enrollment — San Bernardino Valley College)]
- Submitting Forms: You will need to complete and submit an official Release of Information Form to the Admissions office. This grants the college permission to release your enrollment verification and academic record directly to the county housing authority or caseworker. (Records — San Bernardino Valley College)]
So, to summarize the total costs, my parents income would make me eligible for $0 tuition(CCPG Fee Waiver), housing/fees would be around 10-15k / year. Federal Pell grant is around 7k, so 3-8k left. Based on requirements, I am eligible for Cal Grant B (around 1.5 / y). What would be left with just this is 1.5-6.5k / y. The scholarships from SBVC plus outside scholarships plus work-study program should work, unless I’m missing something.
You won’t have any work study earnings up front.
