Please look over my college list. High School Class of 2027 [CA resident, 2.8 GPA, 1110 SAT, little/no parent contribution]

Best of luck @timeagain1! Something tells me you’re gonna do great.

3 Likes

Yes, lots of students are undecided when they enter college. What concerned me was OP’s statement that seemed to convey that preparing oneself to earn a decent living was somehow contrary to their own mindset, their view of the world. It might be just how OP wrote it, but I have known young people whose attitude was that earning money was somehow “dirty”, capitalistic. That’s why I recommended that they not borrow to attend college, because if that is their mindset, then the debt will never be repaid. And for this student, working a part time job and earning a paycheck might be invaluable preparation for life, might help them find a direction.

4 Likes

Good luck @timeagain1 , let us know what happens!

Whitman, why not, ey?

(Stanford is likely to be a giant time sink so not sure you should even as a joke - that time would be better spent earning money or with friends having fun.)

4 Likes

A friend of mine is a dentist (I am not suggesting you become a dentist). He closes his practice for two weeks every year, and gets sent somewhere in the world where there is either limited access to dental care, or where only rich people can see a dentist.

He puts in 14-16 hours a day for two weeks treating children, adults, pregnant women, elderly people whose dental issues are so severe that they are suffering from other health care issues- malnutrition, chronic pain and infection, etc. Yes, you have to be “financially independent” to be able to do this, but in his mind, this is his way of giving back to society.

I could tell you similar stories about adults who are involved in initiatives like this, both in the US and overseas. Some of them would make you cry. The graduate engineering student who invented an oven which runs on solar power, because women in parts of the world walk MILES every day to find firewood-- and often become victims of violence along the way. They don’t have a lot of trees but they have more sunshine than they know what to do with! The bankers who volunteer with organizations which help small business owners facing bankruptcy restructure and get back on track- these owners cannot afford “professional help” so often file for bankruptcy even when their businesses could be saved and provide a living for their families.

Etc.

So doing well and doing good are not in opposition to each other. Keep an open mind.

5 Likes

Thanks for that perspective, I hadn’t thought of it that way before.:heart:

Definitely

1 Like

I agree that the Stanford app will take a lot of time and that you should use the time to do something more productive or more fun.

I am definitely rooting for your success wherever it is that you land.

5 Likes

I didn’t think @timeagain1 was saying the choice was doing well vs. doing good. I thought the choice she’s describing is doing well vs. doing something she’s genuinely interested in. They are somewhat different things.

Anyway, I do agree that it’s good to keep an open mind about what careers are like.

1 Like