premed for internationals

<p>Hi, could you please let me know if premed is a difficult option for internationals as they might not have any chances getting into a med school? some say that one can do a normal undergraduate program and do mcat and see if they can get into med school. please give me your suggestion</p>

<p>I would second everything you have said here. Doing pre-med itself is not the problem (no one will stop you from taking the courses and tests you need), the problem is getting into medical school. Its less problematic if your family can afford to pay $60,000 a year for 4 years, but it will be close to impossible to get any sort of financial aid for medical school. (If you can pay, there will most likely be medical schools who are happy to accept you, but they may not be the best schools...)</p>

<p>If you want to give it a shot, go to the States and do pre-med. Pre-med usually means taking the introductory science sequences in addition to any major of your choice. You can use that major for a backup career in the likely event that you don't get into medical school.</p>

<p>However, the only event in which I would recommend this plan of action is if you want to work and live in the States after college. If you want to be a physician in your own country, you should go to medical school there because they may not recognize foreign degrees for licensing. Also don't come to the States if you don't want to be anything but a physician because the chances of that happening are extremely small.</p>

<p>P.S. To give you an idea of your chances: Princeton advises its international students to have a backup plan because they likely won't be admitted into medical school in the States. And if the international students at Princeton, who are among the best students in the country, cannot get into med school, the outlook for the "average" international student is very bad.</p>

<p>hi chi62,
i 'll second barium, with some clarification. getting into medical school is no different for internationals than for citizens/green card holders, you're judged based on academic merits/extracurrics/letters and life experiences, including living abroad/speaking languages which would likely be advantages for you. the problem, however, is financial. while many undergrad institutions will offer finaid for internationals, medical schools will not, with extremely rare exceptions where merit-based private fellowships are offered (you obviously can't count on those). medical schools will require that internationals put the whole cost of medical school (~200K) in an escrow account to guarantee that they will be able to pay for all four years and not have to drop out for financial reasons, which would be a waste for the student and a waste of a med school spot. this obviously would pose a problem for most internationals. so if your mind is set on medical school, you have to consider that. if not, college experience in the US is great for its flexibility, and like barium said, i would not go into it thinking that i want to be "premed" but with an open mind. if you're science-oriented, for example, a science major would fulfill premed requirements and offer you the path to a phd program (fully funded for internationals at most schools) or an md-phd program (unlike straight md, also fully funded at some places and also more prestigious, though obviously more competitive). just be realistic and keep your options open, and good luck.</p>