Problems with Purex 3-in-1?

<p>I washed my son's dress shirts using this product and it left stains on the shirts that weren't there to begin with. I rewashed them using another laundry detergent and the stains did not come out. Has anyone had this problem and were you able to get the stains out?</p>

<p>It that the sheet that goes in the washer and the dryer? I wondered if those worked but it doesn't sound too good if it did that.</p>

<p>Yes, it's the all in one sheet that goes first into the washer and then the dryer. Unless I can get the stains out, that's 3 dress shirts ruined - and he needs them for his summer job.</p>

<p>From a Google search, this apparently is a common problem. </p>

<p>
[quote]

Observer
(Guest)
05/26/2010
I, too, was wondering about the weird, oily stains on everything. I don't leave the clothes in the washer when they are done, so that wasn't the problem. Like others said, what's the point of convenience when they ruin your clothes?</p>

<p>Jan
(Guest)
05/06/2010
I, too, have ruined so many of my clothes. At first, I thought it was because I have a compact washer/dryer unit. But I have used this product in a large machine with the same result -- oily, greasy stains on my clothes. I love the concept, but hate ruining my clothes.</p>

<p>Penny
(Guest)
05/02/2010
DO NOT USE these sheets for anything cleaning rags!!! They leave oil spots on everything and fade cotton/poly blend items that are dark to leave bis spots of a pitiful gray all over clothes. What's the use of a 3 in 1 product if it ruins all your family's clothes?</p>

<p>Ann B.
(Guest)
01/25/2010
I also have the oily looking stains all over my clothes. Very frustrating. Have tried everything to get the stains out. They are in FOREVER - might as well throw them away. Love the concept of these sheets but not worth the hassle. Love the concept but will go back to Tide.</p>

<p>chris
(Guest)
10/26/2009
VERY POOR product. The only good thing is the lasting scent on the clothes after the dry cycle. I have finished about 20 loads so far and ruined at least 8 articles of clothing. As EVERYONE else is saying Grease/Oil spots. I have noticed more concentrated spots on very light polyester material such as dress shirts and dark cotton materials. I just wish I would have researched reviews before I purchased.. Now I have to replace expensive dress attire. Hopefully you have not already purchased the product!</p>

<p>tanya
(Guest)
10/20/2009
It sounded like a great product, but it left large grease-looking spots all over several loads of VERY nice business attire. I will NEVER use this product again. The rest of my sheets are used to wash shop towels and things that don't matter if they get "ruined"...beware buyers!</p>

<p>Dana
(Guest)
10/09/2009
I despise this product. They leave large, greasy looking stains on your clothes that is next to impossible to remove...I hope they do some serious research on this product to remove this faulty effect. I have given this product 3 chances to work all under different circumstances and all three loads left ruined clothing. WOW! Anybody else have this issue????</p>

<p>Marlene
(Guest)
09/05/2009
I just did a few loads of laundry and have ruined hundreds of dollars of clothes before realizing the stains. Not happy at all. I warn all to NOT USE.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>These are all comments posted here under a glowing product review:
Product</a> Review: Purex Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheet - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com</p>

<p>It is not hard to find these -- the bulk of the comments seem to be complaining about the oily stains.</p>

<p>To OP -- I want to thank you for posting, I never would have guessed -- I'm sorry about your son's shirts. You might want to take them to a professional cleaner to see what can be done. </p>

<p>I usually take on-line comments and reviews with a grain of salt, but this seems to be a consistent complaint. Here's another set of comments from another site:</p>

<p>
[quote]

16 June, 2009 14:46
jttx3800 said...
I've had a problem with oil spots on my clothing since using this product...apparently the fabric softener is too concentrated in the tank as it fills with water, leading to deposits of the now-liquified ultra-concentrated softener in my clothes.</p>

<p>17 October, 2009 13:41
Mama2 said...
I was seeing oily spots on light colored clothes. I was praying it wasn't the Purex Laundry Sheets because I was in love with them. But, alas, it got worse...my washing machine stopped and wouldn't drain. We found an entire laundry sheet stuck in the motor and another one stuck behind the drum. Bye bye convenience. I loved you for a while.</p>

<p>08 November, 2009 22:40
Knoxville FitMoms said...
I too have started seeing oily spots on all my husbands work shirts and pants. I love the convenience, but bye bye convenience because I can afford to replace the clothing! I'm now using OxyClean to try and get the spots out. Thumbs down for me on this product...</p>

<p>22 November, 2009 13:14
Michael said...
Same here: I've started seeing spots on some khaki pants, and was hoping it wasn't this detergent (it's so convenient, I'd like it to work...and they don't sell Dropps nearby). But seeing you've all had the same problem, clearly it is the Purex Sheets. Back to liquid detergent, then. (Stain Stick and liquid detergent haven't got the spots out, BTW.)</p>

<p>08 December, 2009 23:23
arline said...
This is without a doubt one of the worst "new" products to come on the market.It leaves large spots all over my clothes, enough they have to be completely rinsed again.I have used Purex for many years and was satisfied, wish I could get a refund. I willo NEVER buy this product again.
Arline goss</p>

<p>15 December, 2009 11:57
Hazem said...
I wish I have read this blog earlier, before this stupid product destroyed 200$ worth of my finest shirts with its resistant oily spots. I highly recommend AGAINST this product. You may only use it with whites in hot washes.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>And some potential good news (?) -- at least something to try:</p>

<p>
[quote]
16 April, 2010 19:10
dloughry said...
We have the Same issue with the oily spots, rewashing did not work but BIZ stain fighter powder with an overnight soak and a rewash gets them out perfectly.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>From: Confessions</a> of a Psychotic Housewife: Review: Purex Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets</p>

<p>Really? That's weird. My mom uses those and I haven't noticed any stains. She's been using them for a while too. </p>

<p>Huh...</p>

<p>Mattmoosemom, have you contacted the manufacturer and informed them of your experience with this product? Many times, there's an customer service 800 number printed somewhere on the packaging that enables you to call them directly. My Mom is one consumer who will call to complain about an unsatisfactory product at the drop of a hat, and many times, she's had satisfying responses. They vary from a total refund, to replacement products mailed free of charge without having to send back the faulty product, to coupons that offer deep discounts on other things they make---sometimes, a combination of these things. I'd contact Purex if I could. Three ruined shirts is no small thing, especially if they are high quality shirts.</p>

<p>Calmom, thanks for the info! Poetsheart, I did email Purex. I will repost if I get a response. The shirts weren't very expensive, but one was my son's favorite and it was fairly new. Needless to say, we went shirt shopping yesterday.</p>

<p>It seems some people have had less problems with top loaders. I read somewhere the HE washers do not use enough water to dissolve the softener. </p>

<p>I do not plan to send them to college.</p>

<p>I have a top loader and haven't had a problem. I often put them in after the washer is filled with the initial water so that the sheet doesn't touch dry clothes. Hmm.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The sheets? Or the shirts? Or the kids??</p>

<p>I have a front loader, so that may be the problem.</p>

<p>Oh...yeah...I have a top loader. Hm. I think my college has front loaders. </p>

<p>If it does, I'll just go to the store when I get there and buy some regular stuff.</p>

<p>Ive never heard of this product & so glad- I have enough trouble forgetting that I left a lipbalm or something in my pocket, let alone something that was supposed to * clean* the clothes causing a problem.</p>

<p>I have run across this old standby however, that takes spots out pretty well.
( our grocery sells it individually)
Fels</a> Naptha® Laundry Soap (04303) - 24 Pack - Laundry Pre-Treats - Ace Hardware</p>

<p>A few other things to try to save the shirts- Greased lightening-it's sold with the windex, 409, etc. Not only is it a great surface cleaning product, it will break down grease in clothes. </p>

<p>Another possible solution- rubbing alcohol on the spots. It too is a great degreaser.</p>

<p>Veryhappy, too funny!</p>

<p>Veryhappy, that was funny. if I could keep the kid I would</p>

<p>There is some white gooey stuff sold at auto parts stores to clean oil and gunk off your hands, and for the life of me I can't think of the name of it! It works great to take off oily stains from clothes, just rub it on and let it sit for 30 minutes or so before washing. Can anybody help me with the name of it? It comes in a circular tub about 3" tall.</p>

<p>I just read that Goo Gone works. I'll give it a try.</p>

<p>GA2012Mom, I keep a jar of it for grease food stains on clothes. I buy something called GoJo but it's for degreasing your hands, etc. after working in a shop but GoJo has a tint to it. Does a good job on grease on clothes. I bought it because everyone was getting grease stains on their jackets from the lift chairs in the winter. Agree that it might take out the oily stains from these Purex sheets.</p>

<p>Ah, just thought of the name of it. I was thinking of Goop Goop</a> Multi-Purpose Hand Cleaner</p>

<p>It is probably the same as your GoJo momofthreeboys, but Goop is white.</p>