2. You want to be constantly challenged day and night
3. If you "Live to work"</p>

<p>Reasons not to go-
1. You want to have fun in college
2. You want to meet some hot women in college
3. You want your teacher's to be personal and approachable
4. You want to surround yourself with cool people who are outgoing
5. You "Live to work"</p>

<p>Feel free to add anecdotal experiences. I found the above reasons to apply to the majority of Tech students, however.</p>

<p>"Well, when I first came to Tech, I loved it. But over time, I realized that it was draining me. This school will suck you dry (both mentally and financially) and leave you with nothing but a peice of paper. You will feel like you could have/should have gone somewhere else, where you would have learned almost as much, would have had a better time, and wouldn't have had to work as hard."</p>

<p>"f there was another school with an AE program as good as this one's but with a nicer atmosphere and a real female population I would go there. Unfortunately that place doesn't exist so I must suffer through the complete lack of fulfillment that is Georgia Tech. "</p>

<p>"this is not the place to go if you expect to meet your life partner or keep you satisfied. The EE department is full of mindless drones; they lecture all this pointless theory without any practical applications. The people are even ****tier. THeir idea of a joke is a t-shirt that says, "I survived ECE 2025." I have seen more Atari shirts than Abercrombie shirts. This place will drive you crazy, but for me...."</p>

<p>"Being totally objective, I would not have gone to Georgia Tech knowing now what I didn't know then. It's no fun. Sure, you can make it fun, but compared to others going ANYWHERE else, it sucks."</p>

<p>"The reason a degree from GT is so valued is not because of the quality of the school or the education, its because of the students who are capable of undergoing the extreme rigor and making it to the other side alive and sane. "</p>

<p>" I came on this site before I decided to come here and thought "it wont happen to me." but this school is so bad. do not come here unless you're a major nerd and are prepared to have a lame social life. the professors suck and make the classes super hard"</p>

<p>"I can confidently say that, for 95% of people, going to Georgia Tech is a bad decision. Sure your first potential employer will be impressed with where you graduated, but five years down the road nobody gives a damn where you went to college, and you will be no better with a degree from here then you would be from any other respected engineering program. It is simply not worth going through the hell that is GT. "</p>

<p>"It's turned out to be a serious dissappointment. Although GT's reputation is.."good" the school sucks. The assignments are all busy work, and it's like being back in high school. After having gone to another college, I realize that GT doesn't have a superhard workload, it's just a lot of busywork. The exams and material covered are the same as GSU(including using the same book), except at GT you have loads and loads more useless busywork that usurps all your time. "</p>

<p>"Good: teaches you how to handle disappointment and hardships, how to get through life, how to get through the system.</p>

<p>Bad: feel like I missed out in a college experience, you have got to find some friends or it'll feel like hell here. The girls are kinda fugly, good ones taken, and I wasn't willing to lower my standards just to hook up with one. Just by looking at some pretty ones, you'll know that she's not a 'tech' girl."</p>

<p>"A black hole for all things good in nature. It consumes all things good. Students consume large quantities of beer and liquor to help cope with the daily onslaught of anal reemage from the faculty and staff. Is also notorious for having hidious members of the female sex."</p>

<p>We need a thread:</p>

<p>Schaden - Why You Will/Will Not Succeed in Life</p>

<p>It's apparent that you coasted through an easy high school that didn't challenge you or prepare you for college. You got to college thinking you could coast through doing your work 10 minutes before class and not studying and you got hammered. Why don't you just man up and admit you failed?</p>

<p>I heard Georgia Tech Engineering degrees are respected in industry because they are easy to get.</p>

<p>SM, don't take your anger out on me that you'll be slaving away for the next 5 years while I'll be enjoying myself.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Feel free to add anecdotal experiences.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I've gotten really good at telling nerd ponytails from women from behind</p>

<p>Yes, Schaden, because Urban Dictionary is the most trustworthy source.</p>

<p>Instead of starting a flamewar, I'll battle your points rationally.</p>

<p>"Reasons not to go-
5. You "Live to work""</p>

<ol>
<li><p>If you are going to college to just party, then yes, you won't enjoy Tech. Also, it depends on what you like to do for fun.</p></li>
<li><p>There are hot girls at Tech. But they probably won't talk to you (yes, you schaden) much if all you do is b**ch about how tough it is and how all their friends are fugly.</p></li>
<li><p>I can attest to this. Almost all of the teachers I have had are very approachable. Even if they seem intimidating, they are very willing to help. Of course there are some bad apples, but so far I haven't had more than one. And others may seem really bad if you are doing poorly in the class. I think the worst thing you can say when you generalize about teachers is that their accents may be bad, but Matzinger, who has the worst accent I have heard, is also the nicest teacher you will meet at Tech.</p></li>
<li><p>Again Schaden, there are many people at Tech who are outgoing. You may not have become friends with a lot of them, because they don't want to hear you constantly groan. Or you know, they may have different interests than you. Or maybe you yourself are not outgoing in person.</p></li>
<li><p>Tech is a challenge. Won't deny it. But it really depends on how motivated you are and how good you are at managing your time. And again, most students come to Tech with the mindset of being challenged academically, not solely to party.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>The only thing you seem to enjoy doing is hating on Tech. Good life, sir. You certainly seem to "live to do it."</p>

<p>
[quote]

5. You "Live to work"

[/quote]
</p>

<ol>
<li>schaden, I've asked this before, and I'll ask again. When you were at Tech, did you try joining any student organizations? If so, did the ones you tried to join never host any meetings? If so, which organizations were they?</li>
</ol>

<p>Are you the kind of person who doesn't enjoy watching or playing sports but also doesn't enjoy playing video games? If you don't like sports, don't like video games, and don't make an effort to join student organizations, should it be surprising that "fun" would seem scarce?</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Tech has beautiful women. You won't see any of them in the flesh if you're stuck in your room all day moping about how there isn't any "fun" simply because you're not willing to leave your room.</p></li>
<li><p>I was a Management major, and only one of my professors was not approachable. He is also almost universally recognized as one of the worst, if not the worst, professor in the CoM.</p></li>
<li><p>These "cool people who are outgoing" won't find you if you're stuck in your room all day. (Maybe because they're outgoing and so they'll tend to be out of their rooms?)</p></li>
</ol>

<p>
[quote]
Instead of starting a flamewar, I'll battle your points rationally.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I don't know if I'm the only one that realized this, but none of your points are rational. They are either a) Anecdotal b) attempting to marginalize me c) generalizations you can't back up.</p>

<p>
[quote]
There are hot girls at Tech

[/quote]
</p>

<p>This doesn't go against what I said. It is true there are hot girls at Tech, but in the very small minority. Not only do women make up about 1/3 of the population, but most of those existing women aren't good looking. The statement I made about finding a hot girl to date is not subjective, it's almost purely statistical.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I can attest to this. Of course there are some bad apples, but so far I haven't had more than one.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I felt that every professor I had was terrible, save one. But before we start throwing out meaningless anecdotal stories, why don't we look at Princeton Review's 2010 ranks purely for fun-</p>

<p>Georgia Tech </p>

<h1>2 Least accessible professors</h1>

<h1>5 Professors get low marks</h1>

<p>
[quote]
there are many people at Tech who are outgoing.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I completely disagree. Why don't we just come to terms and call it a "nerd school"? At the very least it is a school where people come to work and not to have fun.</p>

<p>
[quote]
with the mindset of being challenged academically, not solely to party.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I would correct that to saying "with a mindset of being challenged academically, and if you have fun one time then you're lucky".</p>

<p>
[quote]
I was a Management major

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Fabrizio, why didn't you say this earlier? I don't think you're arguments are valid anymore.</p>

<p>
[quote]

Fabrizio, why didn't you say this earlier? I don't think you're arguments are valid anymore.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>They're invalid because...why? </p>

<p>I find it interesting how you still haven't answered my three questions: When you were at Tech, did you try joining any student organizations? If so, did the ones you tried to join never host any meetings? If so, which organizations were they?</p>

<p>I only joined one student organization my freshman year--RHA--and it regularly hosted meetings with high turnout. There was never a time when I went to my sub-committee's meeting only to find that I was the only person there. The chairman was always ready, and the six of us always showed up on time ready to discuss the week's agenda. Moreover, that was just a sub-committee. The Legislative Council always had its voting members show up.</p>

<p>
[quote]

I completely disagree. Why don't we just come to terms and call it a "nerd school"? At the very least it is a school where people come to work and not to have fun.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Not to have fun? Is that why we have a large football stadium? Is that why roughly one-quarter of the student body participates in Greek Life? Is that why we have a fully-featured (though poorly run) student gym? Is that why we have tons of active student organizations?</p>

<p>Tech probably isn't the "most fun school ever." But that doesn't mean that it's a school where there is no fun to be had. Until schaden responds to my questions regarding his experience with student organizations, I can only assume that he simply never bothered to try.</p>

<p>
[quote]
They're invalid because...why?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Because management majors are generally easier, less time consuming, and have a fair amount of normal people in them, and better professors.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Tech probably isn't the "most fun school ever." But that doesn't mean that it's a school where there is no fun to be had.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>There is also fun to be had in North Korea, although no one would want to go there.</p>

<p>GT is "the school with the least amount of fun"</p>

<p>
[quote]
Not to have fun? Is that why we have a large football stadium? Is that why roughly one-quarter of the student body participates in Greek Life? Is that why we have a fully-featured (though poorly run) student gym? Is that why we have tons of active student organizations?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>So a starcraft club, an institution funded gym and stadium, and a couple frat houses automatically turns a university into animal house? give me a break. Most students would be in their dorms playing video games if it weren't for the football games.</p>

<p>
[quote]

Because management majors are generally easier, less time consuming, and have a fair amount of normal people in them, and better professors.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Our major is considered to be "easier" than engineering because it has less math. Ironically, since the average engineering major is much better at math than English--native-born Americans included--the average engineering major is far from guaranteed success in Management courses. Business law, for example, has almost no math in it. It's basically pure memorization and if you're not interested in the subject, it can be very dry and boring. I don't see many engineering majors coasting through that class, just as I don't see many Management majors coasting through DSP.</p>

<p>schaden, are you going to answer my three questions, or should I take your silence as a tacit acknowledgment that you did not try to join any student organizations while you were here?</p>

<p>Frabrizio,</p>

<p>No I won't answer you, because I don't think marginalization attacks the heart of an issue or debate.</p>

<p>
[quote]

So a starcraft club, an institution funded gym and stadium, and a couple frat houses automatically turns a university into animal house? give me a break. Most students would be in their dorms playing video games if it weren't for the football games.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I did not say that "a starcraft club, an institution funded gym and stadium, and a couple frat houses automatically turns a university into animal house." You said that, not me. Now that we have that out of the way,</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Starcraft Club is but one of the many student clubs on campus, and it's not even the largest one, not by a long shot.</p></li>
<li><p>Can you give me an example of a peer institution that doesn't have an institute-funded gym and stadium? I'll be waiting.</p></li>
<li><p>"Couple frat houses?" A quarter of the male students on campus participate in Greek Life. You're going to need more than a "couple" if you want to be able to house even a quarter of that quarter. Off the top of my head, I can think of FIJI, ATO, SigEp, Sigma Chi, KA, Delta Chi, DU, Theta Xi, Theta Chi, and Kappa Sigma, and I know I'm missing about as many as I listed.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>
[quote]

No I won't answer you, because I don't think marginalization attacks the heart of an issue or debate.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>So then you really didn't bother trying to join any student organizations? To quote from Law Abiding Citizen, "I think we're done here."</p>

<p>
[quote]
To quote from Law Abiding Citizen, "I think we're done here."

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Obviously not, since you haven't invalidated anything I've said</p>

<p>
[quote]
A quarter of the male students on campus participate in Greek Life.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Officially, there may be a lot of fraternities. But I have heard a significant amount of people that said GT fraternities are lame and boring.</p>

<p>Fabrizio, if you think a football stadium and a gym makes a school "fun" automatically, I think you further prove my point.</p>

<p>
[quote]

Obviously not, since you haven't invalidated anything I've said

[/quote]
</p>

<p>You invalidated yourself with your continuous refusal to answer my question, finally claiming that answering it would amount to self-marginalization.</p>

<p>If you don't like playing or watching sports, fine, there's a ton of video gamers at Tech. If you don't like playing video games, fine, there's a ton of student organizations on campus, the vast majority of which do not revolve around video games. But based on your refusal to answer my question, I can only guess that you did not try to join a single organization and instead simply assumed that there wasn't any fun to be had. It would be an entirely different matter if you attempted to join multiple organizations, only to find that each organization never hosted meetings or did not have members come to the meetings. But based on your response, I don't think that was the case.</p>

<p>
[quote]

Officially, there may be a lot of fraternities. But I have heard a significant amount of people that said GT fraternities are lame and boring.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Didn't you previously say that anecdotal evidence wasn't worth much? Why are you using it now?</p>

<p>
[quote]

Fabrizio, if you think a football stadium and a gym makes a school "fun" automatically, I think you further prove my point.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I don't think that a football stadium and a gym automatically make a school fun. I only went to one football during my entire time as an undergrad at Tech, and I left after ten minutes to watch the U.S. Open (Tennis) because I don't enjoy football. I had a lot of fun at the CRC, poor management aside, but I enjoy lifting weights, which you appear not to and don't have to.</p>

<p>My point is that if you don't like playing or watching sports and don't like playing video games, there are many student organizations on campus that don't revolve around sports and video games. It seems like you did not bother to join any of these organizations and jumped straight to the conclusion that Tech isn't fun.</p>