PSAT Scores for National Merit Semifinalists 2009 (H.S. Class of 2010)

<p>

</p>

<p>I know my son is a semifinalist, but his score was such that I knew that last year. That’s why I’m not posting any cut-off score for MN. As I just posted, the public schools mostly haven’t even opened their doors, so after Labor Day may be a more likely time for more CC participants to check in here and report scores. The press embargo is on until 16 September 2009.</p>

<p>Owlice, words well spoken - but truly we know that - just keeping up the spirit, as we all await reports! ! ! Many schools have started only in the last day or two, again - words well spoken but I think we all know the scores will come when they come! !</p>

<p>sorry for being overeager…I’m just sooo nervouss</p>

<p>Token adult, did your son actually receive his semifinalist letter from his school?</p>

<p>The homeschoolers receive their packets at home, so maybe some of them will post soon in the states with a late school start date.</p>

<p>I’ve all but given up hope on my 213 in MN. I’m too scared to call the guidance counselor and ask if he got anything, because then I’d have to face him later on, knowing that I failed him</p>

<p>wow…sorry to hear your feelings about seeing if your score qualifies. I’m a parent and I would never want my son to feel like he failed a guidance counselor! He took the test for him, for his benefit… My son missed the cutoff in IL by one point and there was no dramatic “oh no, you failed…” speeches here. You should re-evaluate your thinking because you will never please everyone all the time.</p>

<p>Some Maryland schools opened last week; others started on Monday. Knowing past behavior from two schools in our county, NMSFs won’t get their packets until after the embargo date.</p>

<p>S2 received a postcard two days ago from one of the two schools he selected to receive notification – said congrats about National Merit scores, but specifically said “we don’t know if you have made semifinalist yet.” S is on the cusp. He’d like the recognition (and we’d like the money ;)), but knows that what colleges will be looking at is his SAT score, which went up quite nicely from his PSAT.</p>

<p>Maybe it’s just a coincidence and a temporary glitch, but I noticed the link to “National Merit Opportunities” under the Financial Services heading of Texas A&M’s “Future Students” web page is down. I wonder if it’s temporary or if they are also making changes to their merit scholarships. Has anyone heard anything?</p>

<p>Needavacation: In looking and searching on TAMU’s website, I saw nothing about National Merit, so I e-mailed them. Their reply: “Texas A & M does offer those types of scholarships. Make sure your D completes the main application for scholarships.” Kind of vague, so maybe something is changing, but not a “no”.</p>

<p>So do only homeschooled students receive their packets in the mail? Do everyone else get them from only their guidance counselors, or do they get theirs in the mail as well?</p>

<p>if a student takes the SAT for national merit program verification in October and ends up not happy with their score, will there be time for a retake and will the second test score be considered for finalist status?</p>

<p>They can take the SAT until December I think for National Merit finalist purposes, and I think they will take the highest score. That was my understanding from speaking with someone at the National Merit corporation.</p>

<p>rvsfranklin, I just checked the TAMU website and I did see the National Merit page. I’m wondering if it’s the same one you were looking for or if it’s changed, but it still looks like lots of National Merit money to me.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>We received his letter at home because we are the school, being a homeschooling family. The same day we received our postal mail, we learned via email lists of other homeschoolers in various states who received their semifinalist letters. Most of those lists that I subscribe to are populated by families whose children obtained scores last year that were above the cut-off for all states last year, so none of us have informative numbers for any state, and indeed I haven’t heard specific numbers from those parents, nor have I posted my son’s specific PSAT score anywhere, as I recall. </p>

<p>Good luck to all the class of 2010 college applicants.</p>

<p>Last year’s instructions: </p>

<p><a href=“http://www.nationalmerit.org/Merit_R&I_Leaflet.pdf[/url]”>http://www.nationalmerit.org/Merit_R&I_Leaflet.pdf&lt;/a&gt; </p>

<p>Testing on the SAT through December is timely, if the new instructions don’t change that rule.</p>

<p>This may explain some of the posts </p>

<p>[url=<a href=“http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/01/AR2009090103930.html]washingtonpost.com[/url”>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/01/AR2009090103930.html]washingtonpost.com[/url</a>]</p>

<p>The University of Texas at Austin is pulling out of the National Merit Scholarship Program to focus on needs-based financial assistance.</p>

<p>The 50,000-student university said budget pressures were forcing an end to its participation in the merit-based program, which awards scholarships to top high school achievers. The university emphasized that it will still honor all existing commitments to National Merit Scholars, including those who entered as freshmen this year.</p>

<p>Starting in the fall semester of 2010, the university will begin redirecting the scholarship money to financial assistance programs designed to help students who have a hard time paying for tuition and fees. UT had 281 National Merit Scholars enroll as freshmen last year, second only to Harvard’s 285.</p>

<p>Over the last decade, nearly every state has started or expanded politically popular “merit aid” programs that reward students with high SAT scores or GPAs. But the economic downturn and the surge in demand for need-based aid have caused a number of institutions to rethink that trend.</p>

<p>^^if you use tokenadult’s link, remember this year’s seniors are in the 2010 program and all the dates should be adjusted accordingly. Or you may wind up in a panic.</p>

<p>Barfly: Thanks, good to know. Must be a glitch on my computer…the National Merit Link takes me to an error page. Oh, well, need to find out if my D even made the cut first before I get too fussed.</p>

<p>I spoke with the National Merit offices this morning. They advise that there are still some schools who have not received the packages from them (hard to believe but possible I guess). They also advise that even in the event a school had no semi-finalists they would still receive some type of letter from them. </p>

<p>They said that if the schools had still not received anything after labor day they should contact their office.</p>