PSU Class of 2020 Decision Thread

We were wondering the same, not sure if it’s due to being Sunday or not. It’s been an anxious day to say the least.

Not sure if hockeyvalley97 heard today or just posted today

Update from PSU twitter: Due to the high volume of Nov 30 apps, we appreciate your patience as we continue making decisions post 1/31. Questions: admissions@psu.edu

They received 11,000 applications on 11/30 alone. Still sucks that people have to wait longer than promised.

What does that mean for applications that were recieved on the day of open applications months ago ?

Bummed. Wonder how long the delay will be. Thanks for posting the twitter update @PSUMOMIHOPE !

After reading posts we feel lucky bc our daughter applied around Nov 25th and got the answer Dec 15th. She also heard about being selected for a merit scholarship and was already interviewed for the SHC. We are now waiting on the SHC decision.
Hope everyone still waiting from PSU hears by tonight! This is a stressful time for both students and parents!

That’s awesome , after the deadline which is why everyone who applied on time is delayed. Best of luck in her endeavors

November 25th is still prior to the deadline. Some people just hear earlier. PSU should probably reevaluate their process. I usually defend PSU, but they didn’t account for or anticipate the final push of applications on 11/30. There is a woman on one of my fb groups who works in psu admissions and she said there were 11,000 applications on November 30. The very last day. Unfortunately,because of those 11,000 last minute applicants, people who applied in September are still waiting. That’s just wrong but not sure how they can fix that as there is no way to anticipate something like that.

I wonder if some of the admissions personel will work around the clock or if everyone still went home at five. I’m not saying I expect everyone to stay there till they’re done but I’m just curious if there are people there now working.

Since my app arrived there on Jan.4th, I won’t be hearing for a while I guess.

Son Accepted on 1/30 University Park DUS Summer…applied 10/10

GPA 3.35w
SAT 1690

Essay: Great
Teacher Rec: Great
Counselor Rec.: Great
Hook: Double Legacy with a brother currently attending (junior)

State: OOS
Ethnicity: White
Gender: Male
School Type: Private Catholic,

Other Factors: 4 AP’s 4 Honors classes, upward trend GPA with 3.8 junior year, held job all through High School, Varsity Sport all 4 years, lots of community service. This was the only school number 2 son ever wanted to go to so we are very happy…the waiting was brutal though down to the last day.

My s applied to Smeal UP first week in September, and he heard back 1/22 to find out he got into Altoona Smeal, he called same day and was reconsidered for DUS university park, she said he would know by mid February. He has 3.7 1740 and raised 18,000 for cancer what are his chances of reconsideration?

Just wondering, what did your S say when asking? If I need don’t get into main, I’m going to call and ask to be reconsidered. I’m a bit shy when it comes to talking to people, I get so nervous. Any advice would be helpful!

Did anyone get a decision last night?

I defend them the too, but this process needs to be tweaked if they can’t make the deadline. If this is an isolated incident, may be not a problem. However, my observation of students (and adults of their parent’s age) is that promptness is on the decline and procrastination is at an all time high. It will not get better. They should consider this.
Fair or not, they can’t treat the “midnight” Nov 30th applications differently because that’s the deadline.
One way to be more efficient is to take the hard stand that no applications will be reconsidered until after Jan 31st. I imagine this would greatly reduce the numbers of calls, emails until after the priority deadline decisions. Time spent dealing with calls for reconsideration could be spent making initial decisions. I suspect the number of reconsideration requests are skyrocketing now that the word is getting out.

Hope everyone is hanging in there today, my son purposely left his cell at home so he wouldn’t check during school. Please share if you have recieved word today. Wondering if they have released any statuses today.

Good luck to all those still waiting. My friends kid is waiting to hear from Virginia Tech (I believe)…They told them decisions don’t come out until April 1st.

@blueandwhite98 - My son did call adm asking to be reevaluated as DUS for UP Summer. So in his case he changed his major. They didn’t really seem to ask him alot of questions about the reason…honestly so many are doing this - they know why… So if you end up not getting in UP Fall with your intended major you will probably have to make a change that warrants reevaluation like willing to go in the summer, changing to DUS etc. The person that spoke to my son was very patient and nice so just be yourself and tell them what you want. Good luck

Wondering if anyone who applied regular decision (after 11/30) has been notified either way