Very good idea!
Should be a gift link
Comparison of typical 1990s pickup with typical recent pickup:
Larger vehicles are also harder for other drivers and pedestrians to see around or through the windows.
I am very anti-pickup truck. I have been in three crashes with pickup trucks, two different cars of mine totaled (everyone ok). None of them were my fault. Plus pickup drivers are constantly not securing their loads. You see chairs, sofas, mattresses, the ubiquitous 5 gallon bucket, suitcases, and more littering the side of the road. Those did not fall out of a car or a minivan or the inside of a SUV. (Not a fan of SUVs either because they mostly have very little cargo room compared to a van, which carries more stuff and people and secures the load.) Pickups are the worst, though. If you live on a farm you need a pickup or if you do landscaping or construction, but most people driving them do not need them.
It isn’t just pickups that have grown in size.
Of course (alas) drivers and passengers have grown in size.
Forwarded that on to my extended family.
The Little Rituals That Prepare You for Sleep
Origami, cleaning countertops, talking to plants — here are some ways readers wind down for the evening.
gift link https://www.nytimes.com/2026/06/25/well/sleep-evening-rituals-habits.html?unlocked_article_code=1.uFA.1Zhl.qadlRrfE841W&smid=url-share
Madonna Has Become an Avatar for Our Fear of Aging
gift link https://www.nytimes.com/2026/07/02/opinion/madonna-confessions-ii-aging-old.html?unlocked_article_code=1.ulA.KzsL.2o_HltpEuPsC&smid=url-share
gift links
When Sly Stone Got Married at M.S.G., He Had 20,000 Fans There With Him
A celebrity wedding at the New York arena? The funk and soul star did just that in 1974.
But as uncomfortable as it can be for me to recognize, I wonder if Madonna isn’t simply once again forcing us to confront some hard truths. That deep down, we are not perhaps as bold or fearless as we’d like to believe ourselves to be. That none of us want to age, or lose our beauty or the power that comes with it. That in the end, we are all vain creatures desperate to hold on to, by any means possible, a shred of youth.
I actually strongly disagree with this. It seems pretty misguided to assume all women feel as Madonna does. Her fame & fortune has hinged on her looks, and she may feel that she stands to lose her identity if she ages. The majority of us are not in the same situation, and it’s easier to age because we are not our looks. (I knew Madonna before she hit the big time - she was not considered particularly attractive, and I think becoming known for her looks contributes to her desire to hang onto her youthful appearance.)
The Divorce Crusader
Part activist, part influencer, Adina Sash will do anything to rescue Orthodox women she sees as trapped in their marriages.
Gift link https://www.nytimes.com/2026/07/01/style/adina-sash-flatbush-girl-jewish-divorce.html?unlocked_article_code=1.vFA.bX7E.kkahiUg6GAUM&smid=url-share
I Survived a Cold Plunge and All I Got Was Everything I Ever Wanted
I resisted the trend until I couldn’t any longer.
gift link https://www.nytimes.com/2026/07/08/magazine/cold-plunge-fix.html?unlocked_article_code=1.xFA.zPRT.6MfpY2Lm3I1N&smid=url-share
Thanks, @oldmom4896 - that cold plunge article was hysterical ("You are, lately, feeling held together by chewing gum and inertia. ").
Eat your ice cream for a long, healthy life? This doctor says so.
https://www.npr.org/2026/07/13/nx-s1-5884664/zeke-emanuel-optimize-health-long-life
Excellent advice!