Random Articles - share links to articles of interest

As More Americans Turn to Cannabis, Problem Use Is Increasing
A growing number of Americans report they are unable to quit or cut down.
gift link As More Americans Turn to Cannabis, Problem Use Is Increasing - The New York Times

1 Like

Why Are Colleges Giving Financial Aid to Rich Kids?
gift link Opinion | I’m a Former Dean of Admissions. Colleges Shouldn’t Be Paying Rich Kids to Enroll. - The New York Times

The author is telling it like it is, unfortunately.

2 Likes

U.S. Workers Are Paying More for Healthcare, and Next Year Will Be Worse
For 2027, employers face their biggest health-insurance increases in at least two decades
gift link https://www.wsj.com/health/healthcare/u-s-workers-are-paying-more-for-healthcare-and-next-year-will-be-worse-0924d0dd?st=oiXRf7&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

1 Like

Many elite privates and publics have free tuition and more for lower income without limitations. She missed that boat. Many are even more generous than Wisconsin. https://financialaid.wisc.edu/types-of-aid/tuition-promise/ and https://sfs.virginia.edu/our-financial-aid-commitment-you-0

USoCal has given 1/2 tuition and more to many MNFs, who disproportionately come from wealthy households. I think they do it for their stats & bragging rights. It was the reason that they had over 3 dozen kids from my S’s HS private school graduating class of 200 attending. Nice discount and most of the families from that private HS were comfortable to rich.

Other Us also give generous tuition & other merit awards from high stat kids. Some even give 100% tuition and other attractive freebies to get these students.

Sorry, I can’t read the article as I don’t want to provide my email.

2 Likes

When the Choice to Be Childless Is Not Your Own
gift link Opinion | When the Choice to Be Childless Is Not Your Own - The New York Times

1 Like

In order to allow fertility to be recognized as a basic right, religion must not be allowed to enter the discussion for anything other than personal decision making. The separation between church and state must be strictly enforced in order for that to happen.

6 Likes

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2026-08-20/exclusive-how-a-texas-student-blew-the-whistle-on-a-rogue-ai-hacking-attempt

Unfortunately, this isn’t an isolated incident (which would be disturbing enough by itself). Anthropic revealed last month that its Claude AI ended up breaking into the computer systems of three organizations during cybersecurity testing. And OpenAI disclosed that its AI agents broke out of a controlled testing environment and accessed Hugging Face’s systems.

And these are just the incidents we know about. There are likely more to come, or more that simply haven’t been disclosed yet.

The troubling reality is that these firms are creating AI systems that they themselves don’t fully understand, and that can act on their own, make unanticipated decisions, and do things that weren’t intended. In the rush to win the AI race and reap enormous financial rewards, these AI firms are moving faster than their ability to keep these systems under control.

2 Likes

This is certain.

I’ll post here an article I linked on the “AI Teaches Itself to Cheat” thread. It’s a rather long read but provides detail about what actually happened with the OpenAI sandbox leak along with an important conversation about the pace of AI development and the current lack of control over a creation we don’t completely understand.

Opinion | The A.I.s Are Already Out of Control - The New York Times

It’s critical that people understand the ramifications of allowing AI to develop with little to no oversight. Personally, I think this genie can’t be put back into the bottle.

5 Likes

Sucks to be on such a public stage - guessing Mrs. York isn’t too happy.

49ers owner Jed York reportedly arrested in Ohio - Yahoo Sports

Just read this and it is really scary. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Do you have a gift link to the article? Thanks!

Sorry, no I don’t. It was a forward from someone else. Maybe someone with an NYT subscription can find it and share?

1 Like

https://www.nytimes.com/2026/08/18/opinion/ezra-klein-podcast-helen-toner.html?unlocked_article_code=1.71A.1okx.JuYJb9vFRcf9&smid=url-share

2 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate it. However, it looks like an account is required to read the story. :slightly_frowning_face:

You have to register with an email address to read. Then free.

Yes, I understand. But I prefer not to create accounts and hand over my personal information to companies unless absolutely necessary. So I’ll pass.

2 Likes