Random Articles - share links to articles of interest

long ago I set up a gmail address just for this purpose.

2 Likes

Here is a gift link to the article.

1 Like

I just found the poetry challenge. I think it’s fascinating and as a retired person, I’ve got time to engage. This is the link; I have a NYT account and I think folks can access this:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2026/books/wh-auden-the-more-loving-one-poetry-challenge.html

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I think the NYT recently made a change that you must be logged into a NYT account (free) to access gift articles. Subscribers can gift an unlimited number, but if you want to read it and aren’t a subscriber, you must create an account. Access to articles expires after 30 days.

I hope that he and every other man who pays for sex gets jail time and public humiliation. Sex traffickers need to lose their customers so that they won’t be able to make money selling vulnerable people.

3 Likes

The Parents Are MAGA. The Kids Are Liberal. Can YouTube Help?
“The Necessary Conversation,” a podcast and YouTube show, is a very public example of the political disputes families are having all across the country.

Once people feel heard and understood, they relax their grip on their argument, experts said. And they might even listen. “You’re not going to arrive at some joint resolution,” Guralnik said. “What you could arrive at is each side less doggedly holding onto their argument.”

In a series of studies, Julia Minson, a behavioral scientist at Harvard, and her colleagues found that people who start and end their arguments by stating that they want to learn from the other person were viewed as more intelligent, moral, trustworthy and objective. The bottom line: It’s not that changing minds is impossible; it’s that it takes much longer than we expect. And the prerequisite is understanding, which requires actual listening.

Gift link ‘The Necessary Conversation’ Puts Family Political Arguments On Full Display - The New York Times

We don’t know that anyone is trafficked in this case. I’m the other way - if two people willingly - not forced - but willingly - want to transact - well it’s not my business. I have no issue.

Many, many women who sell their bodies were trafficked long before their eighteenth birthday.

5 Likes

F.D.A. Approves Drug Poised to Transform Care for Pancreatic Cancer
In a key clinical trial, patients who got the pill, daraxonrasib, lived twice as long as those who got chemotherapy.
gift link F.D.A. Approves the Drug Daraxonrasib That’s Poised to Transform Pancreatic Cancer - The New York Times

3 Likes

Local guy made good - Rick Steves - bought the small movie theater in the town he calls home. He has done so much for the local area, from his travel business, to funding parks, to housing for homeless women and children, to funding a hygiene center that was set to close.

7 Likes

There’s Really Only One Way to Stop Students from Cheating – NYT

4 Likes
1 Like

F.D.A. Approves New Covid Vaccines, and They Should Be Available Soon
The shots have been approved for people 65 and older, and for younger people with underlying conditions. Others may be able to get them off label.
gift link What to Know About New Covid Vaccines for Fall 2026 - The New York Times

1 Like

Well dang! It’s supposed to be good for your teeth. I guess your heart is more important than your teeth, though.

1 Like

Yes, this really surprised me. I wonder how much is too much, though, in terms of what a normal person actually consumes.

1 Like

It is also bad for people who have IBS and is toxic to dogs.

2 Likes

And now, by Executive Order — the United States Space Academy!

Where cadets will be called “Padawans.”

4 Likes

Article in the WaPo today re: the high cost of college… I like that it clarifies that many of these super expensive colleges do give a substantial amount of need based aid, but they make it sound like if you have family income above the need based aid threshold that you are wealthy enough to afford the sticker price. In some cases, sure, but they make no reference to the fact that cost of living can vary dramatically. Heck, my sister lives 20 minutes west of me, but her much larger and newer house costs notably less than mine because of those 20 minutes, adapt that to three hours west of me and that house is a fraction of the price. Anyhoo, imho they got part of this article right, but missed part too.

https://wapo.st/4x74eZf

That would require Nevada to make it illegal in all cases (versus the current state of being legal in some counties).