Random Articles - share links to articles of interest

1 Like

I should have specified “illegal.” I assume that legal prostitution has safeguards to protect against trafficked women being forced into servitude. If not, it should.

1 Like

From the article:
My buddies compare $65,000 for tuition up north against $28,000 plus 77 degrees at a school down south. That math is easy.

And that’s the only math you need. Rest of the article is blather with a misleading headline.

2 Likes

I have a former coworker who is absolutely living vicariously through her two college kids. It baffles me, TBH. She wasn’t a cool kid back in the day, and she seems to want to make sure she is seen as the cool mom.

As far as suggesting less expensive schools, that makes sense. I’m not sure that the article makes the point it seems to want to make. FWIW, the former coworker’s kid goes to a party school in the north.

1 Like

First thing I thought and I haven’t read the article is - lots of pricey party schools - in various parts of the country.

I would add - while some schools offer low prices, for many, they are also scholarship based - so you have to deliver academically in HS and on your SAT/ACT test to get those much lower prices.

But where do grads find jobs???

Same places every one else does. Not sure what you mean.

2 Likes

I think not. Any placement reports for LSU. Miss, or Bama??

In-state public is usually, not always, but usually the financially-safe choice. If you can get accepted. There are states where a young woman might not be able to get the health care she needs or where a person’s values, for lack of a better word, might not align with some of the states mentioned. (That goes for both sides of whatever.) There are also an increasing number of state colleges and universities that are eliminating majors that they don’t believe fit with their perceived (state) values.

In the PNW, the party school is WSU. My (in-state) kids weren’t interested for a number of reasons. We also didn’t want to pay out-of-state tuition for an education that would be similar to what they could get in WA. They ended up at a private U in OR and a regional here with comparable costs after FA. They had fun and enjoyed their education and stayed where they were comfortable living long-term.

Bama has strong/decent placement and a very good report.

Engineering goes toe to toe with most - has a higher employment rate than Ga Tech with a much higher knowledge rate, as an example - so the kids are confirmed to be employed.

Business is well known although I haven’t compared. Marketing earns more than IU Kelley - that I’ve noticed.

You should actually ask your question to many (not all) of the perceived top schools - that have - lame at best - career data or reporting - what are they hiding?

Below I put for Bama, LSU - and I only found business at Ole Miss - but I didn’t look that hard.

But it’s out there if you look for it.

Career Outcomes - Career Center

Graduated Student Outcomes | LSU Career Center

Career Outcomes | School of Business Administration | Ole Miss

1 Like
1 Like

Sometimes, it is the student’s state of being* rather than values that state laws and common attitudes in the state may cause problems for.

*Race, gender, religion, LGB, T, etc.

1 Like

Kenyans Did College Students’ Homework for Years. Then A.I. Arrived.
Thousands of Kenyans made a living writing essays for overseas students. With A.I., the work has dried up, a warning for online gig work that has been a global lifeline.
gift link Kenyans Made a Living Writing College Essays. Then A.I. Arrived. - The New York Times

1 Like

Ditto Mechanical Turk.

I’m posting this here; I hope articles mentioning climate change aren’t by themselves political.

The Absurd, Unending Quest to Floodproof the New York City Subway
In an era of heavy rain, a transit system with 47,000 openings is bound to leak.
gift link New York’s Subways Weren’t Built for This - The New York Times

Saying goodbye to a friend who’s flying to a new country, or maybe you just really want to do some shopping in an airport terminal?

Well, now you can go through security without an airline ticket as the Transportation Security Administration has launched a program called Gateside

Like in the pre-9/11 days

2 Likes

High tech today. Someone stole a Tesla from UTC mall - the owner called police and kept them informed of location as it made its getaway. Police tracked it to Mission Beach, where they stopped chasing it after it drove onto the boardwalk (at World Famous, for those familiar with the area). It drove up the boardwalk at high speed, seriously injuring one woman and causing several others to leap out of the way. It stopped after about a 1/4 and the driver fled. He was chased by two locals, who caught up with him and held him until the police arrived. The entire foot chase was caught on video by the second local, who recorded the whole chase on his Meta sunglasses.

2 Likes

What does the Emmy’s 2026 winners that you linked a page about have to do with the stolen car / suspect chase?

My mistake, copy command was saved from other thread. Corrected.

3 Likes