Random Articles - share links to articles of interest

What China Sees in ‘Jane Eyre,’ Now Required Reading for Ninth Graders
The Victorian heroine has long been celebrated in China for her independence and insistence on equality.
gift link Why China Is Requiring Ninth Graders to Read ‘Jane Eyre’ - The New York Times

1 Like

Usman had not contacted the real Robb. Throughout the daylong interaction, the human version of Robb never knew Usman had messaged him or had agreed to buy the keyboard. He did not know Usman had received his address or that he was waiting outside his apartment building.

Why that Song is Stuck in Your Head

To get rid of an earworm you can try distraction, engaging in another thing that will require the use of some of these brain regions and circuits and functions so that you’re taking them literally in another direction. Others advocate more of a mindfulness approach —just let it play out and try not to focus on it too much. And then some suggest playing actual music, because you can replace what has been stuck in your head with something else.

(Looking at you, “It’s a Small World” :angry: )

2 Likes

For me, it’s What’s Up - four non blondes. I will read this with interest. It keeps popping up on facebook reels. It’s made a resurgence. I can’t stop singing it and I don’t know how to move on from this. I will read the article if it helps.

It’s now a bucket list song for a concert - even though it’d be the only song I’d want to see. Is that worth paying $75? She’s (Linda Perry) is opening for the Indigo Girls (who I have zero interest in).

I have no idea who or what that song is, but clearly it’s one to avoid if it’s an earworm.

1 Like

Funny this comes up. C26 randomly texted me this morning to say they were enjoying “I am the Walrus” in a coffee shop this morning, and now it’s stuck in my head. Goo-goo-g-joob.

1 Like

I love that song. There, I said it.

If you play it on spotify, you’ll know it. The singer is Linda Perry (was married to Sara Gilbert from Roseanne fame) but the band who made it in 1993 is 4 non-blondes.

The song has had a resurgence. The band was a one hit wonder (I think) but Linda Perry has written for many other artists, some songs you know like beautiful by Christina Aguilera.

But it’s What’s Up - I can’t get out of my head.

btw - I don’t know why it’s called that - vs. “What’s Going On” which are the prominent words in the song.

I am the Walrus - that’s a good tune. Don’t think i’ve had that one stuck in my head but plenty have been.

When you right goo-goo-goojob

It makes me think of the Goo Goo Dolls - another one that’s often in the head because it’s also so prominent with a resurgence today - Iris.

I always assumed to avoid people thinking it was the Marvin Gaye song.

I haven’t seen the resurgence of the song itself on social media but I have seen some funny memes about it.

2 Likes

What’s “spotify?” Non-Bee Gees music is not a big part of my life. :joy:

it’s those damn reels. I started on FB - and it’s always there.

And she’s so magnetic in concert - maybe i’m just a victim of an algorithm.

All I know is I was in the car with my 23 year old and her bf and John Fogerty/CCR comes on satellite radio - Have You Ever Seen the Rain - and both kids are singing.

So I’m hoping “music” is making a resurgence.

100% WILD news Tennessee unable to carry out the execution by lethal injection of Christa Gail Pike, witnesses say

5 Likes
1 Like

Is Cursive Worth Learning?

Perhaps cursive went out of style because there was a sense that it was just a technical skill, and one that was becoming less and less necessary with the universal availability of keyboards. There’s this sense that there’s a “problem” of putting stuff on paper, and the technical solution is that you type it and it looks neat and it’s well spelled and we’re not wasting time doing something that kids always hated — namely, practicing cursive. I could see that as an argument that could be convincing.

The problem is, in the process you are losing something that’s really of value: important cognitive challenges.

6 Likes

I find it odd:

  1. someone could get in the cockpit - shouldn’t the doors be locked?
  2. a random person could fly the plane - but perhaps they were a military pilot?

Not saying any of it isn’t true - it’s just what hit my mind yesterday

I cannot imagine ever being a customer on a plane like that. Ever. That’s crazy - and I’m glad everyone is ok - and i hope they truly get to the bottom of it and come out with the truth - was it terror? Or just a fight amongst two people?

it’s probably true - the 2 or 3 times a year I write a check, I always have to stop and think before I do so.

1 Like

Wife heard that the injured pilot was able to open the cockpit door so the rest of the plane could see what was going on.

4 Likes

That’s what was reported by CNN too - the injured pilot was able to open the door from the inside so passengers could see the attack.

2 Likes