received an invitaztion from Harvard to apply

<p>^ Nah. It was 2009. But I was in a bad relationship with my family - at the time I didn't talk to them for months. Columbia offered me $24,000 with two scholarships, but as an international student I have to come up with the remaining $25000 - $30000....</p>

<p>It's okay. I instead attended City College CUNY. Although I am still thinking about transferring (hahahahha...)... (lol I got a bit lazy still... got two bad grades and dropped from 3.92 to 3.51... sad!!!)</p>

<p>Uh oh. Well, you can still be successful without going to an Ivy League/mainting a 3.9 GPA. :)</p>

<p>
[quote]
I did not receive any mail from Harvard last year, with the exception of that application packet the OP mentioned.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Same here. From what I've gathered, it doesn't mean much.</p>

<p>I got one of the Harvard packets as well. I don't think it means anything more than the countless advertisement materials other top colleges also send out to "sell" their schools to potential applicants.</p>

<p>^Well, it's not entirely random - they do get some CB information when sending out the packets, I believe. </p>

<p>From an [url=<a href="http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2010/04/a-historic-year-for-harvard-admissions/%5Darticle%5B/url"&gt;http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2010/04/a-historic-year-for-harvard-admissions/]article[/url&lt;/a&gt;] in the Crimson Gazette:</p>

<p>
[quote]
Nearly 70 percent of all admitted students and 90 percent of minority students appeared on the original College Board Search List that helped launch Harvard’s outreach program for the Class of 2014.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>My D got one too. Same as Yale, Princeton and several others. All basically say the same - "...offer our congratulations on your academic achievements and to encourage you to consider the opportunities available at Harvard..." "As do many colleges, we take advantage of the search services of the College Board and the American College Testing Program to identify students whose test scores and grades suggest that they may be good candidates for our college."</p>

<p>Guess it's all marketing.</p>

<p>I got one (supplement and all) from Wash U and I'm very sure that Wash U is not trying to recruit me or anything like that. If they send you an app, you're more likely to apply. It makes no difference once your app is actually in the pool (or at least I'm 99% sure of that).</p>

<p>I know that it's meaningless, but deep down I can't help but be excited that I got mail from Harvard...it's pinned to the wall with all my other papers, right above my desk for some extra motivation. </p>

<p>They send these out based on PSAT scores...so if you got it, what was your's? Mine was 225, from NJ. I want to see what the cut off was for getting harvard mail.</p>

<p>Your right. It is good for motivational purposes.</p>

<p>I got a lot more mail after I took the PSAT in 10th grade. I got a 235 on it. However, it might also have just been that I was getting closer to college apps time.</p>

<p>If I recall, this question comes up each year.</p>

<p>I think these mailing contribute to Harvard's admissions stats that make it into the news each year. This year, the notable number was the number of applications crossing 30,000 for the first time ever.</p>

<p>I'm international and I get very little mailings despite placing myself on dozens of mailing lists.</p>

<p>I eagerly check my mailbox every afternoon whether anythin has been sent over.</p>

<p>So far received a couple of small brochures and one Columbia booklet - can't wait for some HYP info!</p>

<p>I got mail from both Yale and Princeton. Unfortunately I'm interested in neither school. :)</p>

<p>I got the common app from Harvard too.
I also got a ton of mail from practically every Ivy -_____-
It makes me feel special, but at the same time, I don't raise my hopes, and I don't think it's really that special...at least, not yet. ;)</p>

<p>My two youngest did not check the box on the SAT's that puts them on the mailing list for all these info materials. They did not receive anything in the mail, and one of them is at Harvard. My oldest did check the box, and was inundated. It doesn't mean anything, really, only that your SAT's were in a certain bracket.</p>

<p>DreInis, or anyone else, if you want info on schools, just go on their websites and fill out the form for getting more info. This works fine for getting info on schools you are interested in, but keeps control of your mail volume in your own hands!</p>

<p>By the way, Harvard's finances were bad enough this year that they no longer serve hot breakfast, except for oatmeal.</p>

<p>I wish they would stop with the excessive marketing and serve some eggs and toast.</p>

<p>Today, I also received the packet from Harvard with the application/supplement/fin aid. info. I felt good about it, but was confused since I never expressed any interest in them...</p>

<p>^ You don't have to "express interest in them." It's based on whether you checked the box on the PSATs that gave permission to colleges to put you on their mailing lists based on your PSAT score.</p>

<p>But even so, my PSAT scores were TERRIBLE, and people who have better scores than me have yet to receive mail from Ivies, so I'm just curious as to how they choose who to mail things to.</p>

<p>ya, i dont think its much of a big deal, i got one a couple days ago, only reason why i think its different, is because most colleges dont send an actaully copy of the application. Like, UPENN, stanford, princeton, yale, etc, at least to me, just sent a letter</p>

<p>I got one from Cornell saying that I should apply because they saw my test scores and that I had taken a lot of AP classes when I don't have the stats compared to their admitted students. It's just a way to advertise their school.</p>