received an invitaztion from Harvard to apply

<p>I got that packet from Harvard last year, with the entire application, as did a huge chunk of my friends. It really doesn't mean anything--none of us got in (not that we're unhappy ;) ).</p>

<p>Besides PSAT scores, they also pinpoint zip codes and schools for mailings.</p>

<p>Im an international student living in Europe, and I got the very same packet.</p>

<p>looking at my stats... it kinda proves that it is just for marketing purposes and nothing else</p>

<p>oh and harvard always had a common application in its viewbook anyway, so its not very surprising that they had one this year as well. the only difference is that they separated the application from the viewbook this year. </p>

<p>im just glad i have the preview of the 2010 2011 common application in paper so to remind me to fill in those 12 EC and job boxes. :(</p>

<p>Yeah, I just got an application from them today. I figured it didn't mean much, but it's nice to have the preview.</p>

<p>yup, they send you one if you checked the box and passed their minimum SAT score(whatever that is) my friends and I had a running joke on when we completed our "Ivy collection" of mailings and considered starting one for rejection letters. It basically means hey, you COULD get into Harvard, but then again, so could all these other people and most of you (sadly) won't.</p>

<p>

Yeah, are you all going to fill in all twelve? I feel that if I do I'll really be winging it with pathetic activities towards the last few.</p>

<p>^ You shouldn't fill out the entire EC section if you're just completing it for the sake of completing all 12 slots. Only do that if you have 12 ECs you consider yourself dedicated and committed to; otherwise it risks being a laundry list.</p>

<p>Got the invitation yesterday. My mom was really excited about it, even though she knows it's basically a marketing scheme XP</p>

<p>WAIT you already got the SUPPLEMENT?? How come it is not online yet :(( I need to start on the essays ASAP!! AHHHHHHH</p>

<p>^Whoa, take it easy. The Harvard "Supplement" does not consist of an essay - it's not Yale, for crying out loud. There is a section that is completely optional, and you can skip it completely or give them a book list/alternate essay (other work) in addition to your CommonApp one.</p>

<p>Lol. I thought it was common knowledge that they mail out application materials/info booklets to anyone who is literate, have 5th grade math skills, and took the PSAT.</p>

<p>So to reiterate what has already been said: it's no big deal. Personally, I've gotten materials from every school on my list (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Wash U, Amherst, etc) except for Stanford.</p>

<p>^same here. Harvard is the only top school which has sent me an actual application though.</p>

<p>Yep, just got one yesterday, having never expressed interest in Harvard. In fact, it's kind of weird that I got one if it's from the PSAT, since my college plans were way different then and I said I'd spend 3 years in high school and major in social work, which doesn't really fit with Harvard, haha (now it's 4 years on high school and history, but they don't know that). I feel like there's just a guy in the admissions office with a phone book. I might give Harvard a visit, though.</p>

<p>One of the football players in my school, who probably had below a 3.0 GPA, received an invite to apply for Harvard. So the invites don't really mean much in my eyes.</p>

<p>But by sending it now, you have all summer to fill it out, so it's not the hard..but probably a waste of time anyway unless you're qualified, or spend hundreds of hours creating an epic epic essay haha</p>

<p>@Keellota</p>

<p>Well frankly, even 7 was a stretch for me so... it would be either writing down my whole daily schedules (like getting up, eating breakfast and stuff) or leaving some out. </p>

<p>never been more jealous of your laundary lists, CC</p>

<p>@Harambee: Same here.
I'm in Canada and got that 'actual application booklet' five days ago. My mom and I were kinda thrilled, but then u guys woke me up. Too bad..kk</p>

<p>got one yesterday, and my parents seems to be really high over it. I don't know how to explain to them that it's just a marketing scheme...</p>

<p>They and my other relatives really don't have any idea about college apps and they think I can just get into any Ivies. Kinda puts some pressure into me. Especially that I'm Asian and if (more like when) I don't get in, they'll think I'm a major screw-up, especially because they don't know how hard it is to get into these schools. Ugh FML.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I don't know how to explain to them that it's just a marketing scheme..

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Just tell them?</p>

<p>Got mine today. No reaction from my parents.</p>