Refrigerators: Freezer on top or bottom?

<p>My refrigerator is slowly dying, so I need to get a new one. My conclusion after looking at the forums on the Consumer Reports website is that almost everyone hates their new refrigerators, almost every model gets slammed, and none last more than 5 years.</p>

<p>I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending the extra bucks to get a bottom freezer. Thoughts? </p>

<p>And if anyone wants to put in a plug for a brand, please do. Right now I'm leaning to getting a Whirlpool Gold (was thinking Kenmore, but they are now made by LG, which many really don't like). If I decide to go cheaper, I'd get a Frigidaire.</p>

<p>I have had Whirlpool Gold in two homes and they have been great. My only complaint is the lack of usable space in the side by side. I would definitely choose a freezer on the bottom if the extra money is not a problem. The extra space makes it worth it to me. I have a couple of friends who have a Samsung and like them a lot.</p>

<p>We had a bottom one once. It made things alot easier then the side by side did, and it looked better as well.</p>

<p>My mother has the freezer on the bottom. It is much easier to find things in there than either a side by side or a top model.</p>

<p>We have a black Whirlpool Gold (similar to this model: GB9FHDXWB) in our basement kitchen and have been very pleased with it for the last 2 1/2 yrs. I prefer it to the SubZero that the builder put in the main kitchen because the SZ is a SxS and cannot hold most larger trays, pizzas, etc. in its freezer. I did not opt to spend extra for a counter depth refrigerator since those cabinets have a distressed painted black finish and this refrigerator blends in (besides - it's the basement.) </p>

<p>After having numerous problems with SubZero, Wolf and Bosch at this house and our previous one, I told dh that when he retires and we build our last house I will not spend money on high end appliances. He's happy because he prefers light, bright kitchens and I have no complaints about white appliances, no matter how "dated" the house hunters on HGTV think they look.</p>

<p>We started out with freezer-on-top, then moved to side-by-side, and now freezer-on-bottom. Each type has pluses and minuses. What I've noticed is a significant decline in quality over the years. Our current unit suffered a failed relay (i.e., a $2 component) on the main circuit board. I saved a $700 service ($150 for the call plus $550 for the board) by diagnosing myself and purchasing an inexpensive generic circuit board. But honestly, who wants to be doing that sort of maintenance?</p>

<p>Amana with freezer on the bottom here. I would NEVER purchase a side-by-side. It's just too small. The freezer on the bottom is great: the things you actually use most are at eye level.</p>

<p>I became a huge fan of bottom freezers after a chunk of frozen fish fell out of the top freezer of my old fridge and hit my foot. Had it fallen from a lower height, it would have made a much less dramatic impact. So yeah, this reviewer gives two big toes up for bottom freezers and fresh fish! :)</p>

<p>Bottom for sure. Banged my head too many times trying to get something out of the bottom of the refrigerator. I bought a small stand-alone freezer for the basement for when stuff is on sale, since a bottom freezer is not all that big and we love our ice cream!</p>

<p>After always having top freezers we got a bottom freezer Amana a couple of years ago, and I love it...great to be able to see what is where, and retrieve items, without too much bending down.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the info. Bunsen, you make a really good point -- I've dropped frozen items on my toes, too! </p>

<p>We have an Amana now, and like it. There is a bottom freezer from Amana we're thinking about, too. I'm pretty sure that Whirlpool now owns Amana (and Maytag, too).</p>

<p>We need to get a pretty narrow fridge (no more than 30 inches), so side-by-sides are out. I don't like them, anyway. I like the french-door bottom freezers, but they are too wide and too deep for the space I have.</p>

<p>And I am pretty sure we're getting the refrigerator in white, although I do vacillate on that. Our house is not modern at all, and I worry that a stainless or stainless-like look will not work. Our other appliances are black, but that definitely would not work for the fridge. Our cabinets are white, counters black, and there's a natural wood cabinet -- I just don't want to introduce another color.</p>

<p>I have an Amana with the freezer on the bottom too. It came with the house when I moved in 10 years ago so I don't even know how old it is.</p>

<p>I think some of popularity with the new French Door Fridges is partly because of the bottom drawer freezers.</p>

<p>We recently bought a Whirlpool Gold stainless steel side-by-side.</p>

<p>I thought for sure I wanted the freezer on the bottom but when I "tried it out" at Lowes,I felt as if I was standing on my head to reach to to the bottom.<br>
I am 5'7". Maybe it's better for shorter people...or maybe I'm just weird.</p>

<p>It's a good thing we went with the sbs because in our new house the frig. spot was so close to my island that I would have had a problem pulling that wide freezer drawer out.</p>

<p>DH also did a comparison and found that the sbs had more cubic feet of freezer storage than the bottom freezer..at least in the models we were considering.</p>

<p>Our builder talked us into a Subzero bottom freezer. It's worked like a champ for 19 years, with only one very minor problem that was cheap to fix. We love it.</p>

<p>We bought a GE Profile bottom freezer after always having top freezers. We definitely are in the fridge section more often, so from that aspect, I'm satisfied. I do feel like I lost some room in the freezer and since everything is in stacks, it's hard to find things.</p>

<p>We have a French door with bottom freezor. I have found that there is less space in the fridge itself and the freezor does not hold half of what a regular freezor holds. I think it has something to do with the fact that there are no side pockets to hold frozen goods. Without that space all the stuff that would have gone there is now in the freezor itself. I like how it looks, but it just not practical for anymore than two people who eat alot of fresh foods. The freezer is a struggle if you freeze some soups and have a few sorbets.</p>

<p>I too have the GE Profile</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. We just ordered the Whirlpool Gold bottom freezer. I am a little concerned about losing freezer space (especially since the ice maker takes up space and can't be removed, apparently), but there is only two of us now and I don't freeze much.</p>

<p>GE Profile with bottom freezer and french doors here. After having top freezers and side by side SubZeros, this is my absolute favorite! We're all pretty tall and I don't freeze many things so it's perfect for us. For entertaining, I can slide huge platters and trays with ease. Plus the water that comes out of the door is the best I have ever tasted!</p>

<p>Like this one:
GE</a> Profile(tm) Bottom-Freezer Refrigerators: Available Models</p>

<p>I also like the external water dispenser.</p>