ReFrosh on College Transcript?

<p>I'm wondering how various school handle a child who completes 9th grade at public school, and then starts Boarding school as a 9th grader again and goes through 12th?</p>

<p>Does the Guidance Counselor include the first 9th grade in the information sent to colleges, or does the student request that information directly? Do some choose to leave it off entirely?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance,
PS</p>

<p>In purely practical and logistical terms, it would be up to the college applicant to forward the transcript from the first dry-run through ninth grade. The college transcript -- at least for Common Application purposes -- only elicits grade and course information for grades 9-12 from the applicant's school. The applicant is expected to obtain or request the transcript information. This is often inputted electronically within the Common App's system -- although it can occur through a .pdf upload. Normally it's just course names and grades. It probably does not include things like various standardized test scores -- let alone previous school grade reports included in the applicant's admission folder to the prep school.</p>

<p>I don't think an applicant would be expected to reach back 5 years in time to transmit grades from what could, in retrospect, be labeled a second attempt at 8th grade.</p>

<p>Still, admission counselors are astute people and they've read enough admission files to figure out when someone did a refrosh. Whether that's a negative in their eyes, or not, is anyone's guess. I suspect that it's not a negative...but, if an admission counselor does pick up on that fact, they will have slightly different expectations and want to know what the applicant did with that opportunity for a do-over. I think that's a fair way to look at it, too, because competitive college admissions is largely about finding people who will make the most of the opportunities and resources that the college makes available to its students. If the applicant seizes opportunities and exploits them to their fullest, that would be a good thing. If the applicant didn't do much but repeat a ninth grade course load and get only mediocre grades before finally having the light bulb burn brightly, then the refrosh could be a negative (compared to another applicant who bloomed late with only one run through ninth grade). Of course I suspect that many admission officers flat out just don't care as the whole thing places too much emphasis on matters that are temporally distant from the college matriculation date.</p>

<p>There are several interesting threads here regarding the impact of a refrosh year. My own views of it have evolved over time. Do a search for "refrosh" and you'll see one or more that refer to a New York Times article -- from the Education section of the Connecticut edition, I believe -- that is of a certain vintage by now, but probably as insightful today as it was when first published, exploring how various schools handle the refrosh experience and how some colleges look at applicants who did a refrosh year.</p>

<p>Thanks for your response D'yerMaker - I don't want to cross any ethical lines, but I don't want to raise any eyebrows over ancient history either. There's plenty of time before we have to figure it out.</p>

<p>Thanks
PS</p>

<p>You'll find that the colleges and universities make it clear as to what they want from applicants in order for the admission file to be complete. I don't think you'll find yourself in an ethical gray area. They will either ask for it or not. For the most part, I don't think they will want both years of 9th grade. They'll see that the applicant is a year older than many -- a year more mature and thus, perhaps, a slightly higher set of expectations...or not. Getting applicants' grades that go back so far in time is probably of limited value.</p>

<p>In the examples below -- which I selected simply because they appeared highest in the search results -- I think the first high school transcript is not necessary for Harvard and Stanford and it is necessary for Pomona.</p>

<p>I was not involved in the Common Application details for my son, and this particular question did not come up even though he attended two different high schools in four years, but there MAY be a pitfall (assuming you'd prefer that the earlier high school transcript not be sent) if your child applies to a college that expects all transcripts to be sent (such as Pomona). My recollection is that these transcripts get uploaded to the Common Application and then the Common Application sends them out to ALL of the colleges that are on the applicants' list. You might want to create a "dummy" Common Application account before the new year (as that's a deadline for many colleges and you won't be able to add them) and see if you can begin applications for several random colleges and then select which ones obtain which transcripts. My guess is that the Common Application assumes that it must send all transcripts to all of the colleges. So there may be some tough choices that have to be made. Someone who is currently going through the process may also be a good resource on getting this question addressed. And, of course, you can find plenty of those people on the college message boards here on CC.</p>

<p>Stanford: Transcripts -- You must submit an official high school transcript. Usually your transcript will be submitted with the School Report, but remember it is your responsibility to ensure we receive your transcript. You should also submit official transcripts for any coursework taken at a college or university. We will focus our evaluation on your choice of coursework and your performance in 10th, 11th and 12th grades, mainly in the core academic subjects of Math, English, Social Studies, Science, and Foreign Language. We want to see that you have challenged yourself by taking accelerated, honors, Advanced Placement, or International Baccalaureate courses if they are offered at your school.</p>

<p>Harvard: School Report and Mid-Year School Report - Please give these forms to your school counselor or other school adviser and ask that the School Report form be completed and returned to our office as soon as possible. The Mid-Year Report should be returned in February with your latest grades. If you have attended more than one high school in the past two years, give a second copy of the School Report to your former counselor(s) or school official to complete.</p>

<p>Pomona: FAQ. Do I need to submit multiple high school transcripts if I have attended multiple high schools? Yes. If a student has attended multiple high schools, the College requires official transcripts from each. Please arrange to have each high school attended send the Admissions Office official transcripts directly.</p>

<p>Thanks again D'M - I'm starting to catch on to the range of possibilities. Appreciate the hand holding!
PS</p>