Thank you very much. I can see how UCSD could be a very different environment from some of the other schools I’m considering, especially with the competitiveness in California. I’ll definitely try to visit before making any decisions so I can get a better feel for the environment and campus
I did not know that. At more than half of the courses I have taken were honors, so it makes a big difference. Thank you very much.
That is a good point. I think I will keep my schedule the same and take Physics 1 this year. Thank you.
I don’t suspect harder than any other school. Of course it depends on the where relative to a school but the UTC area is adjacent and has lots of corporate type businesses.
OP - I wouldn’t visit UCSD. Next year -not the following three which likely go higher - their estimated cost is $86553. They have about $5k for miscellaneous, books and travel. So that’s $81k but you have to get there. Living off campus will likely cost more - it’s a pricey area of San Diego b
It’s very unlikely you get a nickel. SDSU is much cheaper and easier to get in - should you need San Diego.
But there are other schools - from a U of A to Miami of Ohio - that will be much much cheaper. Stony Brook is another. Or Purdue. If smaller how about W&M. You say in your headline - max 80k. In the text up to $90k but you are near there the year before you apply.
The UCs don’t have a monopoly on great education. Some actually speak of them otherwise (as happens at most school).
But budget, should you have one and you do, must drive decisions. It’s highly unlikely you can afford UCSD so why bother ?? It’s just going to end up a disappointment, especially if you get in.
Is U of A Arizona or Alabama?
In this case Arizona. Of course it’s desert, not ocean. They want to be W or W Coast.
But given merit Alabama, since you mention it, would be $25k- ish. They could do 4 years for three semesters of UC costs (or 5 UC periods) or two years of Arizona.
That’s value vs where you want to be question but the end result is likely similar.