SAT Subject Tests

<p>I want to apply to Johns Hopkins, but they request 3 SAT Subject tests. However, I'm only ready to take 2 SAT Subject Tests (math 2 and chem). I can't take another AP class that will prepare me for the SAT Subject Test. I'm a junior by the way. Is it possible to self-study for the SAT Physics Test and what books do you recommend for self-studying? Thanks.</p>

<p>its been my experience that self studying for history subjects seems to be much easier than science related subjects, because history tends to be memorization, versus understanding science concepts. for history, get the American Pageant textbook, u can buy a CD for the book instead if u like. i havent a clue about physics self study books.</p>

<p>AP tests are NOT the same as the SAT subject tests. AP classes have a very specific syllabus to be covered and that's what is covered on the AP exam. The SAT subject tests are more general. </p>

<p>I know many students who did not take AP classes but just took general and/or honors classes in a particular subject and still did very well on the SAT tests (with scores over 700). But I can't imagine self-studying a subject like Physics. Have you taken at least a general high school Physics class yet? If not, you might want to look at taking the third SAT subject test for a class you have already taken -- like history or a foreign language.</p>

<p>I haven't taken any physics classes yet. However, I am taking BC Calc right now and I'm good at sciences. Many of my friends happen to be taking AP Physics and my dad is an engineer so I think I can get help if necessary. I'm also planning to major in Biomedical Engineering so I think a math and 2 science SAT Subject Tests look good. Plus, I'm not very good at other subjects :(. Subject Tests are also offered once before the deadline for ED for Johns Hopkins so I have this year and the summer to do any studying. By the way, I'm a junior right now. Is there a lot of material for physics or is the material difficult to understand? Thanks.</p>

<p>self study just for an SAT II? that just seems silly, unless you're planning on going all the way to self-study the AP. most people take SAT subject tests for regular level classes, which is how they are intended.</p>

<p>sat2s for jhu are recommended not required.</p>

<p>Everyone I know (including myself) thinks physics is wickedly hard, so since you haven't learned it at all, I absolutely do not recommend studying for it yourself. If you think you can, it's your call.... I just think it's a bad idea. I have friends who took the bio SATII after just 1 year of regular bio, and they did better than 700. Is that an option for you?</p>

<p>Hmm, now that you mention it, I can also take the bio sat. However, I took bio over the summer so I didn't learn as much. I could always study more of course. Is bio easier than physics? Is there a lot of material or is the material easy to understand? Also, if i want to major in Biomedical Engineering, is it a better idea to take the bio or physics sat? Thanks.</p>

<p>I think the writing section in the new SAT I should count as a SAT II.</p>

<p>If you already know some bio, it will be much easier to self-study the rest than starting from scratch with physics.</p>

<p>Also, if you've taken three years of honors english, or something similar, the lit test isn't too bad.</p>

<p>if you're a junior, you still have some time (I'm taking my two for dartmouth and columbia next month as a senior).</p>

<p>you dont have to be in an AP for this stuff. You could try the US History one (a lot of people take that as a junior), or the literature one (which quite frankly I know nothing about). OR, try a foreign language one.</p>

<p>I'd suggest taking them either in December or June, depending on if your classes are year-long or semester-long, so that you only have to study once for your final and your SAT II</p>

<p>wzzzz, the writing section was an SAT II for years</p>

<p>Take something like the SAT II literature. I don't think it requires as much studying as long as your skills are up to par.</p>

<p>yes, if you look at the SAT subject test sheet thingy, the highest average scores are in foreign languages. my 800 in spanish was still only in the 90th percentile according to my scoresheet. crazy huh?</p>

<p>Same with my Math 2 score, but think about it. Colleges know that 800 is the highest score you can get, so what does the percentile matter in that case? If anything it just shows how un-useful those tests are.</p>

<p>I would not recommend self-studying for any test and not taking a foreign language test unless you are fluent. Good students at my school get bad scores, and even worse scores if you are looking at the percentiles.The average score for Chinese or Korean, I can't remember which one, is around 790! that's how crazy it is. You really have to be fluent to succeed, which is really unfair because it shows no learning which is what tests are made to measure.</p>

<p>Take Literature...it's on a higher level then your basic required English classes, but atleast you have some relevant background</p>

<p>Yeah--I'm petrified to take the French SAT II..my friend, fluent in French, only got a 700 or so, I believe. I'm in French V, but my class isn't exactly rigorous, and I'm afraid I'll take it for placement, fail, and get put in an intro course at college. </p>

<p>..not that I'm neurotic or anything. ;)</p>