Savory Breakfast Dishes

D2 is home for three months doing a clinical rotation. She/we love breakfast. Weekdays are more simple but we like to take some extra time on the weekend for a great breakfast/brunch dish.

Looking for some new SAVORY breakfast dishes to put in the rotation. Nothing overly complicated but we have decent skills. :slight_smile: (I just don’t want to spend 4 hours on a breakfast dish).

Post a tried and true savory breakfast dish (prefer not to have the classic breakfast egg/ham/bread type casserole. )

This is a good make ahead. Make-Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas

2 Likes

Most savory dishes for me involve eggs. This morning I had an over easy egg on toast with sliced avocado and red pepper flakes. But I do a million variations of eggs, usually scrambled with with vegetables like spinach, broccoli, peppers, onions, or I’ll saute a bunch of veggies and throw an over easy on top of it all. Sometimes I’ll just eat a couple of hard boiled eggs. You can make oatmeal savory with an egg stirred in and parmesan cheese. Not super savory, but I’ve also made baked apples for the kids with cheddar cheese, nut and breadcrumb stuffing. I’ve seen but never made a savory bread pudding. They look yummy but I try to eat low carbish.

1 Like

Skinnytaste has a breakfast fried rice in her latest cookbook. She uses a mix of brown rice and cauliflower rice.

1 Like

@taverngirl Thanks for the reminder about savory oatmeal - we wanted to try that!

1 Like

If by savory, you mean umami taste, how about an omelette with cheese, mushrooms, and tomatoes or tomato-based salsa?

1 Like

I love avocado toast (usually for lunch), even though my kids tell me it’s more of a young person favorite.

On a slice of whole wheat toast, I spread a mash-up of:

• avocado (1 small or 1/2 large)
  • 1T hummus (or some chopped garlic)
  • 1T chia seeds
  • 1/4 tsp everything bagel seasoning
    sometimes I top it all with halved cherry tomatoes
1 Like

When I have time, I enjoy a vegetable scramble - egg whites, broccoli, artichoke hearts, red peppers in olive oil (comes in a jar). Sauté vegetables first with cooking spray or olive oil. Add eggs last.

4 Likes

Cheese souffle. If you know how to make a souffle (I learned from Joy of Cooking,) it’s not hard to adapt. Less cheese, a vegetable, etc. I rarely use as much cheese as many recipes call for.

Also, MIL had all sorts of hacks. She made something like this https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/never-fail-cheese-souffle-3362282 (Just try to make it healthy.)

You aren’t limited to eggs, btw. How about a sautéed pork cutlet? Onions, peppers, and HP sauce. Yum. Not every day.

2 Likes

Cheese soufflé sounds fun! I’m not really worried about healthy. Healthy can be what we add to the meal or other meals that day. One decadent breakfast a week won’t hurt us!

We are not big meat eaters though do enjoy good thick bacon or sausage with breakfast on the weekend so I’ll pass on the pork chop!

1 Like

We normally use microwave bacon (originally just for camping due to less mess but eventually favored in kitchen too for same reason). But gotta admit that the thick cut bacon that hubby introduced me to in Oct at Jail House Cafe in Moab, Utah was awesome treat! Maybe will try that kind of thing at home someday.

I do think a splurge now and then is fun. If our kids are with us (a very rare thing) we make “Swedish Pancakes” (aka “thin pancakes”, crepes, family recipe from my youth) or Pillsbury orange danish from refrigerated section of grocery store. When I knew fundraising high school students, we often had Braided Bread in the freezer for special days.

Another family favorite is “thick pancakes”, a less sweet recipe that I make which includes corn meal and ricotta (or cottage cheese if that is what we have on hand)

“Pillsbury orange danish from refrigerated section of grocery store.”

Yup, the canned stuff is mandatory when D2 is around.

Speaking of stuffed pancakes…crepes are another goodie.

1 Like

D started me doing a sautéed hash of diced yams, brussels sprouts, onion and garlic. Meat can be added or not. Top with a fried or poached egg.

Most days off work, I scramble or omelet a few eggs, adding chopped bagged spinach, diced green onions, or chives when the garden is growing as well as grated chili cheese.

If I have left over rice, I make fried rice with kimchi, frozen shrimp, vegetables and chunk of scrambled egg.

1 Like

Just noting: we’re really good with these breakfast/brunch alternatives. Yay, all.

1 Like

Savory bread pudding. You make up the casserole the night before, then bake it in the morning.

My go-to favorites are spinach and gruyere or sausage, cheddar and green chile.

Great way to use up leftover bread that’s going stale.

1 Like

@WayOutWestMom is your bread pudding similar to the casseroles with like torn bread, meat, cheese and then eggs/milk poured on top and refrigerated over night before baking??

I guess we are pretty adventurous since many items mentioned are already in our rotation!

I also do shakshuka in the summer. Over the holidays I did chilaquiles which was fun

2 Likes
  • Zucchini pancakes (grated zucchini + a bit of grated onion + eggs, with whites beaten + a little flower + milk + salt, black paper), go well with a simple sauce (yogurt, herbs, salt, pepper, a little garlic)
  • Sliced eggplant fried in batter, a similar idea, works well with the same sauce
    Both recipes are quick and easy.
1 Like

@abasket

That’s exactly how you make it.

I make breakfast burritos, chilaquiles, huevos rancheros (with a side of carne adovada) all the time.

Breakfast quesadillas with calabacitas and cheese are pretty tasty too. You can add black beans the filling if you want to make it heartier.

Calabacitas–summer squash, zucchini, onion, corn, and green chile all sautéed together.

1 Like

How about savory breakfast crepes? We make them with turkey and cheese, or eggs and veggies with cheese, or honestly, whatever’s on hand. I think cheese helps keep it from falling apart while you’re eating them, but you don’t need it from a taste perspective. We also make breakfast burritos, but one of our daughters doesn’t love eggs, so often they look a lot like regular burritos! If you have a waffle maker, I’ve heard good things about chaffles (cheese + egg in a waffle maker, with or without almond, coconut or regular flour), but we haven’t tried them yet.

2 Likes

Breakfast pizza, maybe using puff pastry.

Smoked salmon,capers, bagels and cream cheese.

European type breakfast with good dark bread, cheese, meat, maybe some smoked fish, hard boiled egg, etc.

3 Likes