I love my grandkids. Really I do. The whole family is about 10 minutes away from arriving at the cabin. Part of me is not happily anticipating four days of noise, noise, noise. Harumpf
I haven’t bough a single pair of shoes since last year! ![]()
I love you, brother, and I am so very sorry about what you’re going through.
Stop calling everyone you know that has any connection to therapy to assure you that bailing your kid out once again is the right thing to do. It is not. You have been a snowplow parent for the last 22 years and this is the result.
Anyone following along on my fancy espresso machine journey
-
I got the machine Nov 18, realized it was defective and called hoping to return Nov 20th.
They said someone had to come and confirm it was defective, blah, blah, blah… I received parts for fixing it Dec 24th, and IF I hadn’t cancelled my plans today, I wouldn’t have been able to schedule the repair person until FEBRUARY!
Anyone want to guess what the problem was?
Wait for it….
They failed to put magnets in the “drip tray” to keep it attached to the machine.
BUT, the guy who came to fix it didn’t recognize that (who would, it’s NOT obvious they should be there and aren’t). He wound up replacing some switch before figuring out the magnets.
I am still NOT HAPPY with Miele, because I feel like for as much money as I paid I should have received a replacement ASAP, but I am very happy to have a no longer defective machine.
The company sent me an e-mail on Dec 10th indicating they were just waiting for approval so I could get a replacement, and I have had no substantive e-mail or conversation with them since. Their customer service is downright appalling.
Sometimes my sense of “economy” is irrational. I need to remember that it’s ok to put a spoon in the dishwasher and pull out another one later.
These sponsorships are making me grumpy. I want to watch the Rose Bowl, not the Prudential Rose Bowl. Capital One, Goodyear, VRBO, Chick-fil-A, et al, I’m boycotting you.
Just in case you’re wondering, we can get along without you…
I swear my DH and I were very intentional about prioritizing personal responsibility, hard work and problem solving when we were raising our kids. We must have said “You gotta be a problem solver.” about 3.2 million times.
My 30 year old daughter though. She clearly thought we were talking only about math problems. The child missed one question on the SAT math test but cannot translate a “No parking” sign into anything other than a suggestion. Nor can she decipher that if a vacuum stops sucking, maybe it needs to be unclogged.
I have failed as a parent. ![]()
![]()
Please shout it from the mountain tops. This is not okay.
2026 has not started well for me. I was in a funk yesterday, but this morning’s news is just too much.
SO. MANY. LIES. Praying for us…
To friends’ mom: please don’t drag us into the family drama with your daughter and daughter-in-law. You are our friends’ mom, we like you and like visiting with you.
You know, I love the concept of the bag-o-salad. Clearly others do too as the varieties available has really grown. What I don’t like? When the expiration date on the bag is NOT near and I just purchased it in the last two days but the greens are already looking pathetic and a little icky. Ugh.
While I’m at it, I’m ready to admit that as someone who doesn’t have many food dislikes, while raw spinach leaves may have nutritional value, the flavor and texture is less than desirable.
![]()
Dear sister-in-law - how could you possibly think it’s OK to use a group text to inform me and my children that my mother-in-law/their grandmother just died? I’d argue that it’s never OK to text that news to close family, but especially not when we are still reeling from losing my husband/their father just 4 weeks ago. I learned a long time ago not to be surprised by anything your husband does, but I really thought you had more sense and decency.
Could life get any crazier? Now a guy who lives just off our road claims the plow driver (whom the Road Association pays) almost ran him off the road when he was walking, and he’s talking to an attorney. I’m not sure exactly what his claim will be, but I’m glad we have insurance. Good grief.
I guess Sam Darnold can win the tough games! Seahawks win!
I swear to god, if one more person tries to help us by saying their father’s cousin’s neighbor’s best friend had exactly the same cancer and it was totally nothing to worry about…like, so what? You saying we are boring you? Or that he should just not care at all so please, let’s talk about your profound problem with your car instead? Or something? No wonder we’ve turned into introverts.
Tough dose of getting-older reality today. First, a man we’ve known for decades came to church today for the first time in months. We knew that he was very ill, but we weren’t prepared to see a man who until recently was a hale & hardy man in his early 60’s now looking like he is a frail man in his 80’s. He is working hard to overcome his situation, hoping to return to work soon, but it doesn’t look like his soon will be “soon.” Then H’s longtime friend, one of those catch-up-every-couple years relationships, called to chat today. He had a heart attack a few years ago, which we knew, but then he had additional health issues … now he’s on dialysis. Oh, and his wife of 40+ years was diagnosed with advanced cancer and died in June (it happened very quickly & they didn’t do a funeral). We’re reeling - we’ve been discussing our mortality lately, but this really drives it home. ![]()
Long time since been here but boy this thread is needed. I am TIRED of dealing with hospitals. Between husband and mom I was dealing with someone’s health all the time. Wasn’t holding out much hope for 2026 but would be nice if made I more than one day. H sent to hospital from rehab for high heart rate. Sent back but dr appt later that day is finally getting through to him that amputation might be next step. I don’t want to do this anymore