Yes, we got an unexpectedly large dump of snow. Yes, the roads are awful. Yes, there are some spectacularly bad drivers on the roads. None of that justifies the expletives y’all are dropping on the town’s Facebook group. I can curse like a sailor, but a public forum is not the place for that language, people.
I wasn’t a person who purchased extended warranties, for my appliances, because my appliances used to go on for a while.
Now, that’s not an option if I want to “not” invest hundreds of dollars in repair bills.
I have a phenomenal range top. I love the burners! The oven was purchased with my remodel and delivered in December 2023; I took out the extended warranty. Unfortunately, I didn’t know that was through Home Depot and not the manufacturer.
The oven has never heated correctly. I’ve had to call frequently to get service people out. Every time, I had been told that this oven works by heating “in averages”. They, off the record, told me it was a design flaw.
During different cooking periods, if I wanted 350°the oven would fluctuate in temperatures, in order to get an average of 350°.
My problem is, every single Maytag technician has said, that anytime I put food into the oven, the temperature is going to change. This oven has a mind of its own and averages at a temperature of 317° for a 350° oven setting.
The solution has been to increase the temperature by 5 to 10° and heat the oven for 15-20 minutes, then put my food items in. It sort of works for chicken and mac & cheese, but it doesn’t work for cookies. Imagine having to wait 15 to 20 minutes to get the temperature average, after taking the first batch out!
Everything is undercooked, even if I go to 360° for a 350° recipe.
This morning, my phenomenal Maytag repairman remembered my oven issue (he was here for refrigerator and dryer servicing), and he said, ”You have an extended warranty; call them and call them until they fix it, or until they give you a new product”.
Sounds good. I did that, and spoke to the Home Depot warranty division. But because I “hadn’t used the HD warranty, and I previously used the manufacturers’ warranty,” they didn’t have a record of me having previous repairs with my oven.
So she wanted me to disconnect the slide in oven, or go to the breaker, and turn off the oven so that she could evaluate and diagnose what was wrong with my oven with her on the phone.
I told her: I’ve had three Maytag repairman come out and tell me exactly what the problem was and that it was just the way the oven was designed- and at every visit, they put on a new temperature sensor.
I asked her, what are you going to tell me over the phone, that I don’t know about this oven, that I’ve tried to repair for2 1/2 years?
She said this was the norm and I said, “no it’s not.” She said, “then you’re going to have to wait for a repairman”.
I said “Wait for a repairman? I’ve been waiting for 2 1/2 years; I don’t have a problem waiting a day.”
So tomorrow, I’m going to have a warranty person, from Home Depot, come to evaluate what’s wrong with my oven, because obviously Maytag doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Yes, you’ve guessed right; they’re going to order another temperature sensor!
We used to be proud of our products in the US. We had quality control. Appliances would last 20 years at least. Now we’re told it’s less than five years. They’re making money hand over fist and pissing us off!
I had the Maytag guy over for my refrigerator and dryer because I like both of them and I don’t want to buy a new one so I’d rather pay the fees to get a quickie repair and keep them maintained.
Completely ignored and/or forgotten.
![]()
Wow! It took a lot for you to call her out like that. I have major respect for you.
Dear cruise line:
Too bad you aren’t giving me a free trip. Your bridge instructor is alienating many potential and new players who have stopped attending your classes. So I have been quietly teaching 4 of them intro bridge in a different area and at a different time. Two different people spontaneously came up to us and so kindly commented to me about what a wonderful and gifted teacher I was. Made my day. What’s even lovelier is that one couple I was teaching live in our metro area and we may be able to continue after we are home. And the two people who spontaneously commented about my teaching skills also then commented to my husband as we were walking by them out on the deck. I then asked him (DH) if he would be willing to come and watch, since he’s been rigidly avoiding learning to play, and he actually did and said he thinks he could easily learn the game. Maybe we have finally had a breakthrough! That would be delightful.
And to the official instructor on the ship- I stopped coming to your classes b/c your teaching style was unhelpful and you were teaching conventions that no one I know ever uses and most probably have never heard of. And apparently you apologized to the students you offended, but apparently too little too late. Those 2 couples as well as a few others joined us for dinner tonight and we had a wonderful evening. Your ears were probably burning. Oh, and someone said your wife was in the area where I was teaching the 4 students bridge so she saw/ overheard them learning and having a great time (and apparently heard those 2 other people spontaneously say such kind things about my teaching style). I am so glad I brought 2 decks of cards with me on the trip.
Son, you never cease to amaze us. I’m sitting here with my coffee this morning thinking about your call last night and wondering how we got so lucky while understanding that your good fortune is the result of talent and extremely hard work. Your life is about to change in so many ways. We’re overjoyed and love watching how your life is playing out. You and DIL deserve every good thing.
Is there no bottom?
I’m ornery today. What do you expect to happen when gambling is front and center, in everyone’s faces, in every single game?
Lots of military aircraft flying from one county over our house to another area every single day for the past month - large slow and quite low planes, big helicopters, something’s up. Don’t think I like it.
Today is the anniversary of “We’ll be in the Hudson”- surely one of greatest sentences ever uttered by an American.
Dear Universe,
PLEASE LET THIS CAT CALM DOWN, before somebody gets hurt.
Really stupid idea to mandate return to office when a major freeway bridge is undergoing repairs!
Things the kitten has tried to eat this week: scone, sandwich bread, tulips, chicken bones, orange peel, egg noodles, piece of string, the other cat’s food.
Having a kitten is fun, but definitely not for the faint of heart.
I am dreading him coming home from rehab
It would be nice if anyone in this waiting room understood what earphones are.
Listening to and reading Martin Luther King’s words are hitting me differently on this MLK day.
So annoyed. I sent a e gift card to my niece, and it seemingly never went through. Tried again ( used Apple Pay), nothing. She didn’t get it, I never got any confirmation sent to my email and my credit card isn’t showing it. Grrrr….
Do something!!!
