Saying ‘yup, I nailed it’ in my head so many times these days.
To the UCs:
What does this evidence look like? And how comfortable are you with the accuracy of your plagiarism checker?
Personal Insight Question (PIQ) plagiarism check
All personal insight responses were reviewed by an anti-plagiarism software program in early January. Notifications are sent out throughout the month via email to students whose responses require verification of their authenticity. Applicants who are unable to provide evidence that the PIQs are their own work or who do not respond by tomorrow’s January 21 deadline will have their UC applications withdrawn. If an applicant has submitted an appeal, they will receive a final decision regarding their cancellation in early February.
A reminder that “Say it here” posts have to conform with Forum Rules. Those that don’t are subject to deletion with neither notice nor explanation.
These include, but are not limited to, posts that violate conventions on civil discourse toward other users and posts that are prohibited outside the politics forum.
I really don’t understand your family. We were neighbors for decades, H mowed your lawn every week. We’d go over anytime you needed help. We grew up with your kids. Your oldest son has our emails and phone numbers and couldn’t even bother with a text to tell us you’d died. No newspaper obit. Nothing. Our younger daughter happened to google you and found a funeral home notice from a week ago.
You were a wonderful woman and will be sorely missed.
It would be funny if it wasn’t so pathetic.
You know the meeting is going to suck when it starts with “remember your why”.
We have walked 25 miles in the last 3 days literally. I.am.tired. Not sure I want to try to fit in another venture before we are picked up to go to the airport tomorrow.
And separate vent: please no- weather gods. No 3 days of freezing sleet and snow in Atlanta when we return. I hve no food in the house!
You know you’re old when: your SON texts to say he’s getting bifocals…
SMH
SIL is teaching a grad CS class in machine learning.
Yesterday after the first lecture, a student comes up to him and mentions that the material is pretty dense mathematically and is moving really fast. Are there any background materials/courses they should look at? SIL replies, calculus, linear algebra, and probability theory. A class in advanced statistical methods would probably be useful as well. The student looks distressed and says, “But that will take like 2 maybe 3 years to finish. I meant is there is anything I can look at now, like a You Tube video or something, that will catch me up on the math before class next week?” ![]()
Student is a grad student in sociology. Has none of the math pre-reqs.
Feeling conflicted. On the one hand I’m annoyed that the receptionist at Labcorp (for bloodwork) didn’t come out to the front desk for an hour. On the other hand, I’m grateful to her that she ran my insurance card (that I put in the self-serve scanner machine), and let me know that they were out of network and the standard tests would have cost me $2,500 if they ran them. Wow, two hours of time wasted (1/2 hour drive each way), but $2,500 saved.
Thank you, Josh & Jase, for posting your reactions to crossing the Mackinac Bridge for the first time. You made my day! (Full disclosure, as a kid, I always hid on the floor of the car when we drove across that beast!)
Dry orange martini FTW. It’s not drinking alone if the family text chain is active.
I know it’s hard, and it makes you feel shunted aside, but you knew they would choose the other plan and since it is going to be a catastrophic disaster, just be a broken record. “I understand your concerns and I share them, but since I am not part of this coding team you’ll really need to talk to them” and just keep saying it. Your integrity and service to the USN is why I love you. But it’s also why this project has eaten your soul. Sooner or later it will be someone else’s problem. Sooner or later they will choose poorly. It’s totally selfish, but I want you to stand far, far, far away from this and watch it burn. 30+ years of being right didn’t matter, your consult didn’t matter, your experience didn’t matter, all because some PhD had a feeling? Because engineers half your age don’t want to code that way? Let them own this.
Harry Styles is doing 30 nights(!) at Madison Square Garden in Sept/Oct!
Recent concert tickets have been through the roof (looking at you Bruno Mars!) so I’ve had to pass. But would love to see Harry live.
DH bought a large package of stew meat yesterday for a big pot to keep us through the winter weather this weekend. I just found that package inside a bag on the kitchen table, where it had been all night. ![]()
Actually I could probably say it to Apple but they don’t listen as well as y’all do! I am so tired of all my apps being moved everywhere on my iPhone, except where I filed them i the special folders. Flight Aware ended up under Medical??? Really Apple, that’s where you think flight tracking belongs? Ughhhh, I have go to the list now every time there is an upgrade to find my apps. So dumb. Also, on your own, without my permission my “do not disturb” is set at 5:00 p.m.? Uh, no, I need to hear those calls and notices, it also didn’t vibrate. So frustrating, I hope you got it right this time and I don’t have another upgrade to fix the last upgrade in another few days.
My laptop just died. Ugh.
I am so grateful that my east coast son who travels almost every weekend to various jobs by train or plane happens to have these next few days off and will be hopefully snug in his apartment.
Sometimes the schedule just works out.
H lost his wedding band about a month ago after losing weight on a GLP-1 combined with a very cold day (so his fingers were smaller than usual). Fortunately, he found it later than night on the kitchen floor under a cabinet, where it fell off when he was drying his hands or something. We were both very relieved. ![]()
Well, don’tcha know he lost it again last weekend! We flew to Pittsburgh for a funeral and it was snowing and REALLY cold throughout the whole trip (two flights and a 2 hour drive). He happened to notice that his finger was bare while we were at the funeral home. It could have been lost anywhere between our home, the JAX airport, the ATL airport, the PIT airport, two Delta flights, the rental car agency, the funeral home and the hotel. We looked everywhere, notified Delta, Enterprise and Hilton. but no luck.
Don’t know whether to replace it or just chalk it up to fate.
I miss my fluff so much. The house feels empty without him.