Schools similar to Towson University

<p>Does anyone know of any schools similar to Towson university with a good Business school, nice neighborhood with restaurants (not just fast food chain restaurants), do not have to have a car, location accessible to Amtrak, airport, or a bus to DC, less expensive than $50,000 private university and has a variety of school clubs, active Hillel, etc.?</p>

<p>GMU has some similarities to Towson.</p>

<p>We saw George Mason. It is a good school for in state Virginia. However, the surrounding area is nothing special.</p>

<p>How about Drew University in New Jersey? Drew</a> University</p>

<p>How about University of North Carolina at Wilmington or Asheville or University of Pittsburgh?</p>

<p>"We saw George Mason. It is a good school for in state Virginia. However, the surrounding area is nothing special"</p>

<p>Compared to, cough, Towson? :)</p>

<p>I suppose old town Fairfax doesnt quite hold up to downtown Towson, and Fair Oaks is further away. Old town alex is more exciting than any part of baltimore on the Towson side of North Avenue though. I will admit a fondness for balt harbor, inner and outer, but you did mention proximity to DC, so I am guessing all the DC nabes make up for that.</p>

<p>Agree with BBD, Towson and GMU are practically the same school (size, location type, admission standards, etc...) with GMU being closer to DC which was one of your main criteria. State school, well under $50K even out of state. The only major difference is Towson has a football team and GMU doesn't. But GMU's basketball team and corresponding school spirit far exceeds Towson. </p>

<p>For a smaller school, try University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, VA (not sure about the availability of transportation back to DC. I think there is a bus, but not sure). For a larger school with slightly higher admissions requirements, try James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA (Definitely has bus service to DC).</p>

<p>U of Mary Washington might not have AACSB accredition, but I am not sure. You can check but I could not get on the AACSB site at this time. UMW only had a business dept. but as of July 1, 2010 that department will apparently become a business school. There is a train station right near campus, but Washington DC is not a very short trip, even by train. There are some box stores around the area.</p>

<p>mdcissp, I sent a PM to you.</p>

<p>Miami of Ohio (might be a little extra effort to get to Columbus, Cincinnati or Dayton for the airport...but...it's really not too bad.)</p>

<p>SUNY New Paltz (not really known for their business school...but...they have one!) Great community near campus, and not far from Woodstock (forget the festival....it's a nice artsy community with good restaurants and art galleries).</p>

<p>UNH. Just learned that Amtrak stops right on campus...but I'm not sure how active Hillel and other Jewish student groups are.</p>

<p>Regarding Drew, it has a good location. I do not think that it has business majors other than "business studies", and it has a high sticker price (I think that it is nearly 53,000).</p>

<p>I have been on both campuses, and I think George Mason is much nicer than Towson -- just in terms of location and facilities. I am not knowledgeable about the specific academic programs at the two schools, though.</p>

<p>I'm not a parent, but I was reading through your thread. Im looking for something pretty similar to the description mdcissp wants, and was considering both GMU and JMU. For being great alternatives without breaking the bank. Can anyone elaborate on them. I'm from OOS so I don't really have the chance to visit so any inputs on them would be great!</p>

<p>Towson does have a nice little town area and mall. Great for college students. OOS UPitt will cost you more than in state Towson, but that is great area for college kids. My son loved it. SUNY Buffalo has a college "downtown" and is still reasonable even for OOS kids. College of Charleston also fits that description. Salisbury State has really grown in the last few years and is close to OC and the shore. York College in PA is reasonably priced and in a nice town. Penn State in Harrisburg has gotten some good reviews from visitors--I have not seen it personally. Manhattan College in Riverdale is a good bargain with Manhattan only a few minutes away. They are also generous with merit money. So is Loyola in New Orleans.</p>

<p>Skidmore. Has business school and Saratoga Springs is an adorable town. Easy bus to Albany for great transportation. Strong Jewish community. High sticker price, but merit scholarship for musicians. Obviously, no transportation into DC.</p>

<p>University of Delaware has very cute downtown and reasonable sticker price for OSS students. Jewish community. Again, no bus to DC. Business school is strong and has great study abroad opportunities.</p>

<p>When the OP says less than 50k, how much less? Many of these schools are pretty pricey. It is hard to find a well priced private school anywhere, and much harder with all of the other "wishes", or "must haves".</p>

<p>Doesn't U of Delaware have Amtrak nearby?</p>

<p>Yes, U of Delaware has Amtrak within walking/shuttle bus/bike ride of campus. My D used it quite a bit this year. The service is spotty - not every train stops there of course, but enough do to get you where you might want to go. The Main Street that cuts through UD is cuter than Towson, IMHO. And I am a Towsonite.</p>

<p>On another note, I've always thought of Westchester University in PA as being like Towson U. I never hear it mentioned in CC. Westchester is such a lovely town. I think it's nicer that Towson, from a walkability standpoint, but there's no Nordstroms, Macy's, PF Changs...Towson has gotten some major restaurants and retail/boutique-y shopping in the last year. And Westchester has Philadelphia not too far away ;)...Towson has Baltimore : |</p>

<p>The people I have known who went to Westchester have loved it, but my world is a pretty small sample. 50% admitted, SATs quite similar to Towson. OOS tuition quite reasonable. </p>

<p>Amtrak is 5 miles away from Westchester in Exton. Amtrak is quite far from Towson.</p>