Seeing your kid's name in the credits....

<p>So you guys know (and will know) what I mean ... It is very exciting, especially after the years of "you SURE this is what you want to do?"</p>

<p>Ohio Mom - my son went to Ohio University in Athens (Honors Tutorial College).</p>

<p>The film was "Take Shelter". He was 16 and a set intern, but learned so much from observing. He really loved it. The director, Jeff Nichols was so gracious. He introduced himself, shook my son's hand and thanked him! He learned of the opportunity from the producer, Tyler Davidson. The film competed at Sundance, won the 50th Critics' Week Grand Prix at Canne and was co-recipient of the Fipresci award. It also won the grand prize at the Deauville American Film Festival, and was shown at the Toronto Film Festival. S was very fortunate to have such a wonderful opportunity even to be involved in a small small way.</p>

<p>digmedia, yes I had seen that your son went to Ohio University! I hear they have a very good program for Honor students.</p>

<p>Hi dig! WOW, very exciting news!! Thanks so much for keeping us in the loop! Huge congrats to your son. And yes, I know exactly what you mean about the "SURE" question! I hope things go as well for all the kiddos from this board!</p>

<p>OhioMom, congrats to you as well!! What a great accomplishment. You must be so proud!</p>

<p>
[quote]
The film competed at Sundance, won the 50th Critics' Week Grand Prix at Canne and was co-recipient of the Fipresci award. It also won the grand prize at the Deauville American Film Festival, and was shown at the Toronto Film Festival.

[/quote]
</p>

<p><em>f</em>a<em>i</em>n<em>t</em>s*</p>

<p>all I can do is echo colcon.... WOW!</p>

<p>^ Yes, if you're going to be an intern, what luck to be an intern on this project. It's a very intense film. I recommend it. Great acting.</p>

<p>There was a montage of 2011 films on the Critics Choice Awards last night and they showed a little clip from it!</p>

<p>Loving this. Makes my heart happy to see kids taking this path and finding success. (Son is HS senior, applied for digital arts majors).
Keep it coming! :)</p>

<p>Is "Take Shelter" available for rent? Or in theaters? Would love to check it out! Ohio Mom and gladiatorbird... how are the acceptances going? Any news? My son has heard positively from Emerson and LMU (with nice merit scholarships to both!) still waiting on NUY, Chapman and USC. The film for which he was the camera intern by the way is Mirror Mirror, one of the two Snow Whilte's coming out this March- this one stars Julia Roberts, Lily Collins, and Armie Hammer, and from what I've seen is visually stunning. Gorgeous sets and costumes. We understand he should have a credit as camera.</p>

<p>oops.... camera intern.</p>

<p>Congrats on the fast track, and well done! My brother is JUST starting to get his movie credits, and telling my son to "stay in school!".</p>

<p>What a bunch of talented kids! I wish them all the best...from someone who stays in the theatre until every last name rolls by! :-)</p>

<p>Maddenmd, Congrats to your S on acceptances, scholarships and internship! Very exciting! "Take Shelter” opened in NY and LA in September. I actually saw it in October. It had various release dates so I am not sure if it is still playing somewhere. Should come out on DVD, but not sure when. S has not heard anything yet. Did not apply EA anywhere and has a narrow list. Did not apply to NYU or Chapman, but has a safety or two.</p>

<p>Hi maddenmd and ohiomom:
Hooray for you both and your talented, hard-working kids!
DS was accepted EA to LMU (animation) with nice merit scholarship. We are checking mail daily for Chapman/Dodge (Digital Arts) and the whole family is going crazy waiting. He'll hear later from USC SCA (animation). He also applied to a number of UCs, but none of them are an exact match because he wants to be an animator and that's that. Too bad UCLA does not admit directly to the major. It was his first choice for several years, until he realized that once at UCLA, he'd have to apply for the major (along with the hordes/with no guarantee) in year 2.
For DS it's all about Dodge, USC and LMU (latter, as for maddenmd, is happily in the bag).</p>

<p>Feb 14, 2012 (release date for Take Shelter on DVD)</p>

<p>Thanks for the release date dig! I'm crossing my fingers for gladiatorbird and OhioMom's kids... be sure you let us know!</p>

<p>DS is in at Chapman Dodge for Digital Arts/Animation! Packet came to our PO Box today (Saturday). He got the Chancellor's Scholarship, $20k per year.
WHOLE FAMILY IS OVER-THE-MOON.
Fingers crossed for everybody.</p>

<p>Congratulations on both counts!</p>

<p>Huge congrats, gladiatorbird! I hope your family is celebrating tonight!!</p>

<p>Woohoo! Great news!!! I am grinning ear to ear for all of you!</p>

<p>Woohoo from me too! What great news!</p>