Shorter University

<p>A friend sent this to me on Facebook. </p>

<p>Shorter</a> University Masterclass Cancelled Due to University’s “Personal Lifestyle” Policy | Kerrigan-Lowdermilk</p>

<p>I saw that too alibabba . . . glad my kiddo isn't attending this school. </p>

<p>"Pennies or nickels or dimes. We live in perilous times." (from New Brain)</p>

<p>I this was't so sad it would be absurdly hilarious!</p>

<p>This makes me an even bigger fan of Kerrigan and Lowdermilk. I hope their friends and fans follow their excellent lead.</p>

<p>Two quick thoughts; </p>

<p>1) I wonder if an entire department, including faculty and students, could find a new home in a different University? Has anything like that ever happened? </p>

<p>2) Also -- I wonder if a school is in any way financially culpable if the administration effectively torpedoes a program when a student is part way through a program?</p>

<p>It's really rough, guys... our new President is like Hitler. Basically. Our Program is too good to go down the drain like the President is seemingly trying to do. This year has been all about censorship for us, and now that the new Personal Lifestyle Statement is out, we all feel targeted. I couldn't have found a more loving and accepting environment... now the new President is trying to strip that from us. it's not fair.</p>

<p>What a shame coexist2014 - how upsetting this must be for everyone in your program. I'm sure your professors will do what they can to help you. It sounds like their jobs may be in peril as well. Excuse my ignorance, but if Shorter IS a private university they can likely do whatever they want in this regard. </p>

<p>I'm thinking of you and wishing you and your peers well.</p>

<p>We're all so brokenhearted--- but hoping and praying for the best. Shorter IS a private baptist university, so they can... though a lot of us think they they still may be doing some unlawful things. There's going to be a protest next thursday... and another by a ton of alumni at the new presidents innaguration... we're trying to at least get the lifestyle statement more morally correct... legit... according to the Lifestyle plan, Jesus wouldn't have been able to work at Shorter. Jesus preached acceptance... not rejection. " Accept one another just as christ accepted you in order to bring praise to God." and " Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."</p>

<p>and thank you so much! We need all of the support we can get--- I personally am getting ready to write oprah. We've had a lot of famous people sign our petition</p>

<p>anyone who is reading, please sign this petition. Idk if it'll actually help, but the more support we can get, the more likely we are to win. Frankly--- most of us are quite desperate to get rid of the new president and his Personal Lifestyle Statement.</p>

<p>SignOn.org</a> Beta</p>

<p>I signed. Best of luck to all of you!</p>

<p>Signed yesterday. Keep at it!</p>

<p>I hope that this comes to something - more than 4,000 signatures at this point.</p>

<p>This situation breaks my heart for you all! I signed and posted to my facebook wall with an appeal for others to sign. I feel confident CCU parents and students who see my wall will add their signatures to the petition.</p>

<p>I wonder if you have considered making a Facebook Group directed to theatre students across the country. I imagine they would be appalled and would be quick and forceful with their support. Word travels fast in the college MT student world, and that may be a way to give students in other programs a way to offer their support. Every theatre kid has friends at other MT schools and my guess is a FB group would spread through the ranks pretty quickly.</p>

<p>Hang in there Shorter students and faculty!</p>

<p>Just signed too. I lived in Rome, GA in the mid to late 80s and at the time knew students, faculty and staff at both Shorter and Berry College. I currently work for a public university, and can't imagine what the staff, faculty and students at Shorter must be experiencing.</p>

<p>What a very sad situation for the students and staff there. It never ceases to amaze me what some people will do in the name of religion.</p>

<p>I signed! I hope that all of the students at Shorter (theatre and not) will find acceptance and that all of the attention that is being brought to this will bring some reflection upon the higher ups and make them realize how ridiculous and blindly prejudice they are being.</p>

<p>Thank you all so much for your support! the facebook group is a great idea... unfortunately, the school is unlikely to listen to performing arts people, because we are the "trouble makers" ... Dr. Dowless doesn't even care about the arts. </p>

<p>--- Those of you at Coastal Carolina University... do you like it? What are your thoughts on the school? Do students get a lot of individual attention? Is the vocal training strong?</p>

<p>I'll let the students answer the questions you pose. I left a note on another thread similar to this. I can guarantee nothing, but if you are from Shorter, I would be happy to allow you to audition to transfer into the program. I find what your administrators are doing to be UNCONSCIONABLE. I taught for many years at a Christian institution. I understand that schools make choices based on their charters and affiliations. But this. Well. I have thoughts that don't belong on a theatre board. Please PM me if I can help in any way. And that offer goes for any help, not just with CCU. I have no ulterior motive. I am simply offering help. Good luck.</p>

<p>It's nice to see your concern and offer to help kjgc - I think what these kids (and the faculty) are going through is pretty horrific. I can't imagine going through all the audition process and making a decision for your child to attend a school that seemed great - only to have the college pull this kind ideological shift AFTER classes have started. How many of these kids would have auditioned, much less accepted, offers at this school had they known that this was going to happen beforehand? Good luck to your and your classmates coexist!! Also to the faculty who have their academic and artistic livelihoods at stake.</p>

<p>I signed and posted on FB - unbelievable!</p>

<p>Coexist- I am a sophomore musical theatre major at CCU. I've posted a lot about the program around College Confidential, and there is a TON of great information in the subforum specific to Coastal. As I post a lot on this board, I obviously love Coastal and feel so honored to be a part of the program here. We recieve a lot of individual attention (there are only 9 musical theatre majors in my class) and the faculty is extemely welcoming and receptive to our needs. </p>

<p>I don't know if you know her, but there is a senior musical theatre major currently at Coastal who transfered from Shorter, so if you or anyone else at your program knows who she is, I'm sure they can get in touch with her for her opinions or to get in more personal contact with some students!</p>

<p>If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me, I don't want to take up this thread with any unnecessary schpeel- the emphasis should be on Shorter! Sign the petition. ;)</p>